main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm watching TPM right now. Anyone that thinks a George film wouldn't be shredded if released tomorrow is living in a different reality from the one I inhabit. It's turgid, feels very at odds with the originals and has all the same logic issues you can level at all the SW films, but with subpar characterisation and a lack of relatability and pacing thrown in for good measure. QGJ is cool, I really like the pod race and JW is putting in a great shift, but the idea George was Mr. cohesive storytelling is not fully accurate imo.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    Truth.

I have no problem with different. But the prequels as a whole felt so disjointed and not part of the overall saga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Can't remember the interview (maybe Collider) but RJ clarified that his plan was presented as being one film and seeing what happens from there.

Not exactly a 3 movie plan.

I wonder if that'll still be his approach knowing Disney has a billion on the table for this other trilogy/series in development.

I think he may have to put a bit more work in than he thought he had to.

4. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yes. I agree. Way more so to me than the ST or R1. But, that said, I appreciate others see it differently. I just think people are kidding themselves if they think George would unify the fanbase/ movie going public. We'd have division, and worse films IMO. His latter day writing and direction was several notches between what the new films have given us - regardless of story choices. And there is no guarantee that George would have given the fans what they wanted in terms of service anymore than he did with the PT.

yassir.khan likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This is the Rian Johnson thread, not the "What Would George Lucas Do?" thread.

6. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    RJ is writing the story for all three films. He'll then write and direct the first script then see how things go after that. I'm not sure if he's writing all three scripts before they film the first one, or just the treatment for all three stories.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  7. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Yeah he’s writing the overall arc of the trilogy plus the first full script and then directing. Whether others would then take over we’d have to wait and see.

The Legions of Lettow and Satipo like this.
  8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Also, I think if they're sensible they make the first one self-contained (like ANH) and then see what the appetite is for the film. I think it will be a good film and general audiences will be cool with it. But if it's not, and they don't then you may see a re-thinking of plans at that stage. Not now. LFL and Disney knew what they were getting with TLJ and hired RJ to do more because they love working with him and what he delivered. That's not going to change because some fans hate the film.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We have just posted a new rules and policy thread. Everyone should take a look:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...es-and-policies-thread-2018-edition.50048371/

This part in particular:

This forum is a place for discussing the films, which means that you think the films are worth discussing. It is not a forum for discussing how much the films are not worth discussing and/or how the actions of Disney, Lucasfilm, etc. have resulted in films not worth discussing--we have a zero tolerance policy towards posts and posters dragging conversation down to that level.

Make no mistake from here on out the staff here will be vigilant and absolutely unforgiving in its enforcement of this rule. Above all else these forums are meant to be a fun place to discuss Star Wars but for far too long they've been little more than a cesspool. No more. If you want to rant endlessly about how awful the films were or if you refuse to here any kind of criticism about them I only have one thing to say... go get your own blog and post there. If you wish to engage in constructive conversation that remain respectful of one another then please stay here. There is no middle ground. This is how it's going to be. To paraphrase a certain campaign slogan... We're Gonna Make the Forums Fun Again!

10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Let's start with a parade!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  11. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I love this because Rian talks about being inspired by Jackie Chan and his wide angle shots when filming the fight scenes. I remember specifically linking to a video on this forum which talked about that and contained a interview with Jackie where he talks about his way of shooting fights, and I said I wished Rian to take that into consideration making TLJ. So yeah, not every day something specific you request actually end up in the movie ;)

12. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I assume it will be the greatest, most fantastic parade ever?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Lt. Hija likes this.
  13. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I felt a little like that in the Rey lineage thread when I realized young Rey was wearing junker clothes in the Forceback and wrote Pablo as though it was a continuity error (deliberately since I figured he’d never respond to a question like this any other way) that she’s being dropped off on Jakku and he replied that I might be assuming something from that which wasn’t the case. That being obviously that her parents didn’t come to Jakku to drop her off and then bolt again but that she’d grown up a junker on Jakku.

I shared that bit here:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...oll-see-notes-on-page-2447.50046730/page-1279

So, when that was confirmed in a way in TLJ I felt pretty good.

Similarly, I posted this in the only Reyko thread a long time ago:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/reylo-fanclub.50038935/page-11

And it is sort of moving in that direction too.

Now, if JJ ends up retconning slightly the lineage reveal with a story she learns after the end of IX that one of her junker parents is the offspring of Obi-Wan who never knew a love of his life was pregnant with his child and try to pull off both Rey Random (for parents) but Kenobi for lineage that she only learns at the very end of the Saga... then I’ll feel like I predicted some big aspects of the saga correctly. I still feel that delivers the strengths of Rey Random for her to figure out who she wants to be and throw many fans off the scent while giving her a happy ending and bookending the PT with the OT with the Skywalker father and son trilogy in the middle so I still hope that happens.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  14. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    ...and people behind the wall are not allowed to join.
    [​IMG]

15. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yknow for the longest time I was sure Johnson was doing Knights of the Old Republic but they got the Game of Thrones guys so now I'm sure they're the ones who are doing Knights of the Old Republic. So now I'm back to wondering what Johnson's movies are about. Okay, not connected to the Skywalker Saga but it could still be episode X (if all the Skywalkers are dead by the end of Ep IX) but that seems like a cheat. So now I give up and thinking Johnson is doing Canto Bight Broom Boy trilogy or whatever.

17. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    He would do the documentary about the life of Ach-To's sirens.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  18. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    I know this is a far-fetched question but I wonder if they are going to have another trilogy involving Rey, Finn and Poe after B&W and RJ's respective projects? My prediction below is just based on my assumption that the B&W series will be 5 films in length and that RJ's trilogy will not be released consecutively year by year. :)

If they are, I would probably see something like this :

2018 - Solo: a Star Wars Story
    2019 - Star Wars: Episode IX
    2020 - Kenobi: a Star Wars Story
    2021 - RJ 1
    2022 - B&W 1
    2023 - RJ 2
    2024 - B&W 2
    2025 - RJ 3
    2026 - B&W 3
    2027 - R, F & P 1
    2028 - B&W 4
    2029 - R, F & P 2
    2030 - B&W 5
    2031 - R, F & P 3

Bob Iger did say they are planning into the 2030s too... so one can dream!
    After all that's wrapped up, they can take a break and focus on other mediums.

p.s.
    RJ - Rian Johnson
    B&W - Benioff and Weiss
    R, F & P - Rey, Finn and Poe

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    TheFastJedi likes this.
  19. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    You could just read officially released information and then most of the issues you raised are already clarified

20. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    As of right now, KOTOR isn't even canon. So even if someone does something like it, we don't even know what it will look like.

21. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Frankly, I'll be pretty disappointed if any "old republic" series is announced. That would just give off a whiff of the kind of pedestrian, fan-servicey storytelling I associate with George's prequel efforts.

That said, after getting the type of movie I'd been long hoping for in Episode VIII, I'm probably about due such disappointment.

And then of course I might very well end up liking them anyway. I'm a worrier, I guess.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Lost_Hope likes this.
  22. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Now I have heard it all. How exactly are the prequels "fan-service"?
    GL did what he wanted to do, he tried different things and ignored what fans might have wanted to see. That is the very opposite of fan-service. The closest thing we ever got to fan-service in Star Wars movies was TFA, which, while extremely well made and thoroughly entertaining, in many ways gave the vibe of a "best-of".

Johnson followed directly in the line of what Lucas always used to do: tell the story you want to tell, regardless of the consequences

Even if these new movies would play in the Old Republic, which I would say is far from certain, there is plenty of room of how to go from there. It's not like they will simply bring the KOTOR-story onto the screen like it was told in the game. Even if it would play in that time-period, everything could still be completely different.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    {Quantum/MIDI} and lavjoricso like this.
  23. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    It must be a typo... it has to be.

24. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Jango Fett, father of a little
    whipper-snapper that would become (the once-mysterious) Boba Fett...

a thousand jedi swinging lightsabers in a battle...

Flippy-Yoda...

C-3PO being built by Darth Vader...

An evil robot guy who wields four lightsabers...

Chewbacca...

I'll stop.

Hey, if you disagree, you disagree. I guess you'll just have to deal with it.

11-4D likes this.
  25. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Saying that the prequels didn't have fan service is being a little bit blind to how those films were made. Among the first things we see is a C3P0 copy and Kenobi wearing the same clothes and lowering his hood. ROTS then ends with nothing but 10 minutes of fan service.

11-4D likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.