main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Cress Williams was fantastic on Friday Night Lights - pleased that they keep casting strong leads on these shows.

cerealbox and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    From Variety:
    Joaquin Phoenix in Talks to Play the Joker in Todd Phillips’ Standalone Movie (EXCLUSIVE)
    I hope this happens.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    just what we need

[​IMG]

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    How? There's literally no way it would work except stupidly.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, new management. Same as the old.

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    hold your fire, ssp. sharon waxman's trash site that gets frequent citation from idiots like matt drudge isn't definitive in the least.

8. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Exactly: Lobo is silly and over the top. Bay's work is largely ridiculous. Play it right, they could have an unintentional hit.

PCCViking likes this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    But Lobo can be silly, over the top and good. It will only be two of those things if Bay gets his mits on it.

10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I'll take silly and good for $1.

Darkslayer likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah, Michael Bay doing Lobo is not the worst choice of Director to Source Materiel. "He's a big, brawling, drunken alpha male in space!" seems right up Bay's alley. If this is credible at all.

FYI, there was a pretty great one-off joke in the latest Deadpool trailer about CGI mustaches, pretty funny.

PCCViking likes this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Michael Bay is a great cinematographer, much like Zack Snyder. The one of the many problems with Bay is, like Snyder, he tends to think what would look cool can build the movie/script around those action pieces. Bay's humor, as demonstrated by his Transformers films, is terrible as it's poor pottery humor and racially insensitive. It may work with Lobo, but that type of humor is not on the same level of Deadpool. Most of Deadpool's better humor is very clever and meta (Professor? Stewart or McAvoy?) ; it's crafted rather than an afterthought. As noted in the opening credits of Deadpool, the writers are the real heroes.

Basically, what I'm saying is, WB/DC should look for story telling and character developing directors, not so much cinemaphotographers. Patty Jenkins was great at story telling and character development, and thus Wonder Woman has been the best critically and audience received DCEU film.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I disagree, but only because if you look at his entire early career -- those are some amazing films, some back to back. So whether it's a producer issue, or a writing issue... even the first Transformers was pretty good... so coming onto a franchise like DCEU, so long as there's a good producing team and/or good writers (Bay almost NEVER writes his own stuff, if ever?), he could be a great visual director...

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    During a huge fight Optimus Prime breaks a tea cup

Shia Lebeouf: gee Prime, you’re cracking up!

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I can enjoy Bayhem flicks. He's made some classic action films. But I have little faith in his ability to adapt source material and understand the characters at all.

And for those who hold out hope that Bay's style may fit Lobo's nature, well, I warn you: I once thought Bay was a fantastic choice to direct Transformers. Car chases and vehicular mayhem action? That seemed like the perfect thing to mesh with the Transformers. The final film had very little vehicle chases and mayhem. I don't think they even really had a solid car chase until the third.

So, um, temper your expectations in that regards in this pans out. More. No, more. Keep going. A little further. Right about there. Keep those expectations low.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    cerealbox likes this.
  16. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I’ve always liked Michael Bay’s action style. The Rock was marvellous. But after Transformers 4 and especially 5, I’m not sure if he’s still got it anymore. We’ll see... I don’t know a whole lot about Lobo, but he’s a character I could see him using well.

17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    This Lobo would seem to be more up Bay's alley...

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, that's the caveat; early Michael Bay. It's much like early George "The Flannel One" Lucas. I'm not sure if that early Michael Bay still exists. I mean, I kept giving him the benefit of the doubt with the Transformers flicks. He did okay with Pain & Gain and 13 Hours, but nothing remarkable or memorable. So, the news that the new DCEU management is going after a visual director like Michael Bay, sounded like the old management giving Zack Snyder the keys to the cinematic universe. I would prefer WB/DC go after an Edgar Wright, whose's Ant-Man treatment/script (by all accounts) and test reel was amazing and the basis for the actual film.

In other news, a fan digitally erased Henry Cavill's mustache on a used $500 computer and it looks so much better than what ended up on screen with the Justice League film.
    Here's the video of it:

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    that was the headline i read, too, that it was much better - i can't tell the difference, but the larger point that the effects were trash remains

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, it's hard to tell with the Superman image because he didn't have the original mustache version to work with. However, if you look at the MI:6 mustache Cavill and the side-by-side of the digitally mustache removed, it looks very natural.

Master_Lok and heels1785 like this.
  21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  22. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I just saw The Justice League movie and I really liked It! It definitely had a DC Comics feel Dark and with Mystery! I really don't get why this movie got picked on so much it was what it was a good Popcorn Flick and that is ok by me.

23. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Justice League deserves every pick it gets. It's nothing more than a forgettable mess that is filled with horrible, horrible jokes and a condensed story that has no meaning or purpose. And dear god, Superman's face looks like an abomination most of the time.

Popcorn flicks are fine, but Justice League is not a good popcorn flick at all.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Its a Popcorn Flick with a cheesy script Is It much worse then the Avengers? I don't think so just feels different because It Is more dark like a DC movie. I didn't have a major problem with the CGI It Is what It Is Its the year 2018 that's how they make a lot of films these days.

The Script is Cheesy but CHEESE is not a bad thing! It was no where as bad as Batman And Robin have you ever seen the atrocity that is Batman And Robin[face_sick]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If it's best defence is "it's not as bad as Batman Vs Robin", that says it all, really.

And yes, Avengers was far superior.