main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Goodbye.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Well that was random.

Alpha-Red and LelalMekha like this.
  3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    ANYWAY shuttles can definitely dock without a hangar. The lack of a hangar might cause some limitations, but overall small ships function fine without hangars. A Tector shouldn't have too many problems.

jSarek likes this.
  4. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    The thing is though, the Tector isn't a small ship. It's the size of a star destroyer. A ship that large needs plenty of cargo and personnel moving in and out of it. Which is certainly possible with a docking port, but seems rather needlessly limiting. And as @Chris0013 said, it's completely dependent on other ships if anyone wants to board/disembark.

The negatives seem to outweigh the positives in my mind. (Especially when the main positive, "it's underside has extra armor", could easily apply to a normal SD as well, such as the Devastator.)

Chris0013 likes this.
  5. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I was mostly replying to the issue of shuttles, but I'll admit the present description of Tectors hardly works. Personally my solution would look something like this, plus Venator-style sliding doors.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    King of Alsakan and JediBatman like this.
  6. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Yeah although I still don't really see the need for a Tector, having smaller hangars on the side just off screen makes much more sense than it not having a hangar at all.

Daneira likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It isn't just that there's no belly hangar - it's that there's no belly dome as well. The Tector's reactor (assuming that the rest of the ship is pretty like an ISD) has been repositioned, or it's a different shape.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Another issue is maintenance of the embarked shuttles. Do you really want to have to have techs suit up in vac suits and EVA to work on the shuttles?

Senior Enginering NCO Chris0013: "Number 2 engine on the captain's shuttle needs an overhaul. @JediBatman and @SpecForce Trooper...suit up and get it rebuilt immediately." [face_monkey]

Is easier to get those sorts of things taken care of on a deck in a hanger with all the equipment you need form hand tools to heavy equipment.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    SpecForce Trooper and JediBatman like this.
  9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    There's no way the Tector doesn't have any hangars at all. It just doesn't have the fighter bay on the bottom.

SpecForce Trooper and JediBatman like this.
  10. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    We've never even seen a "real" Tector, we just saw the bottom of an incomplete model in ROTJ, everything else is just extrapolating from an SFX error. It could have an Interdictor style bridge and 1 big rear engine with a ton of little hangars in the rear replacing the other 6 engines for all we know.

jSarek likes this.
  11. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    Quick question about the Supremacy

Wookieepedia seems to state it was destroyed and cites the visual dictionary to say that much of the FO leadership was able to escape, however, having seen both the film and read the visual dictionary, I can't find anything to confirm the ship is destroyed rather than severally damaged.

I mean that may well be it out of operation, but equally I could see it being fixed over time, given the Raddus missed most the important 'city' sections in the middle.

So is the ships fate clear, or is the Wook jumping to conclusions and/or making stuff up?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Snafu55 likes this.
  12. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    This is where Rebels could have given us some Fleet Junkie Goodness. Make one or two of the SDs in Thrawn's fleet Tectors. Grow the universe.

13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Speaking of Tectors, Wookieepedia doesn't even acknowledge their presence in ROTJ anymore...

Star_Desperado likes this.
  14. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
  15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The problem with Tector is that they aren't visually different enough for folks to want to use them. It's the same with the wingless MC80. Both vessels have differences, but from certain angles they are indistinguishable from their more iconic cousins.

--Adm. Nick

16. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    The Wingless MC80 I'm seriously bummed out over though, really wish it was its own class.

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    It will always been the Reef Home-type in my heart. An old fan designation. :D

--Adm. Nick

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  18. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    I think this applies to the Victory Class as well and why it appears a lot in novels, but not as much in visual mediums. Certainly it's more different from a standard Imp Star Destroyer than the Tector is, but if you're not a Fleet Junkie it can be easy to confuse the two at a glance.

19. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    I personally think it's destroyed, but if Darth Maul can come back from being cut in half, so can the Supremacy.

Alpha-Red and King of Alsakan like this.
  20. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Like I said above about Rebels....it would have been a great way to put things on screen that we haven's seen before. The Victory, Gladiator, etc....

21. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The Gladiator-class originated in the Droids cartoon with Admiral Screed’s ship the Demolisher.

Victorys haven’t been getting any love in the new canon. I think the only mention so far was in Tarkin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I kind of wish we could even see Venators, they're at least very distinctly different from the Imperial-class, compared to the Victory, Tector or even the Acclamator classes. I know they were swept away partially due to their nickname "Jedi cruisers", but I'd rather see them bumped down to less important duties. Well, that's kind of the Victory's role too (older Star Destroyer) but Victory-class are a bit hard to tell from the Imperial-class at a glance.

Though even in old EU Victory-class got relatively little screen time. I still wish the Victory-class had made more Clone Wars appearances, as the more heavily armed warship of the Republic navy, but only a few sourcebooks referenced that role.

I wonder if the Raider-class corvette could show up in more things, after Battlefront promoted it from FFG to full canon. With the Imperial or Rebel engines.

vncredleader and JediBatman like this.
  23. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    I won't lose any sleep if we never see a Tector or Victory class again. The Tector is just a slightly different ISD and they should have just ignored the contiunity error instead of trying to make it a thing in universe. And the Venator does a much better job of filling the Victory's role of "early/smaller Star Destroyer" while being more visually distinct.

When it comes to ship designs, I have a Sith philosophy: survival of the fittest (or in this case, most interesting designs).

24. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Thing is, they had the opportunity of never canonizing the Tector- and Victory-class in the first place, but they did. The silly thing is not canonizing them, it's to mention them once and then never use 'em again.

25. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I know that...my point is that after that it has only made appearances in games. Rebels (and The Clone Wars before it) were a great opportunity to bring in ships like the Gladiator and Victory...and all the others that have been in books and games but not given any real screen time.