main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Plot Holes In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zackm, Dec 18, 2017.

1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    You’re ridiculously over complicating something that plays out on screen as very straightforward. What you were originally claiming as a plot hole now seems to boil down to that you have a vague recollection that Finn refers to the “tracker room” when it would be more accurate to say “breaker room”.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  2. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    ^ I watched the movie three times. I know they went from two throw-away lines about breaker room to immediately talk about the tracker room with no connection to the former, and Finn saying where the tracker was. The breaker thing was never brought up again, and due to how poorly the explanation was presented, it created confusion.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  3. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I saw the movie once and I didn’t get the tracker/breaker room stuff. I didn’t know they were disabling a breaker and not a tracker. But, it was just a “whatever” kind of plot device that made no sense to me in the bigger picture that also made no sense. Only one tracker? And the guy that said it’s impossible to track through hyperspace knows where it (or it’s breaker?) is? And Finn and Rose can hyperfly away from the inescapable chase? And Poe called Maz for help? This all felt like a cluster of plot holes to me, but since I’ve seen the film once and I have devoted very little brain power to this plot, perhaps there is a really clear, in-movie explanation for all of it.

4. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh ok. That's why I asked for dialog earlier. But the dialog you gave didn't say anything about a tracker room.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  5. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    It didn't. They just jump from this to talk about disabling the tracker in the next scene and the breaker is never brought up again. Then the VD calls the place they went the "Tracking Room", I believe.

6. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    I have the Closed Captions and the Visual Dictionary at home. I'll check it out this evening.

7. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I don't remember it being called the tracker 'room', but isn't it fair to just assume that the movie switches from breaker to tracker for convenience? Breaker or tracker, it leads to the same result - disabling the tracker. People in the audience might honestly wonder why they're talking about a breaker all the time. And the filmmaker would constantly have to remind everyone that breaker = tracker control switch type of thing. It's rather like in TFA they don't constantly say the "map that leads to where Luke Skywalker might be", but rather the "map to Luke Skywalker". It's just easy to switch to talking about what's more relevant and a more succinct way of communication.

It will be interesting to see whether the tracker room is capitalized in the VD, as in it's the tracker room, rather than simply a room which has the tracker in it.

Ricardo Funes, zackm and Satipo like this.
  8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    It's the TRACKING ROOM in the VD.

I don't think it's close to a plot hole. It's all technobabble. I don't think the film could be clearer in terms of showing the intent - if they get a hacker to disable that gizmo (all highlighted as they talk about it in front of the schematics) the FO won't be able to track them and they will be able to escape. Between Rose, Finn and the schematics, they cook up a plan and present it to Poe. The plan is so basic (almost comically do) I don't see how anyone can struggle with it, unless they're trying to.

9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I think it's a case of fans wanting every i dotted and t crossed. Ordinarily, I get that and wouldn't see that as a bad thing, but as it's not something that is consistently applied to every film by the same fan, it becomes an issue (at least in my view) and a double standard. I get that. A film you don't like is going to get a much closer eye and tolerances tighten. It all becomes ammunition.

edit - calling it TRACKER ROOM is disappointing. Why VD, why?

Ricardo Funes and Satipo like this.
  10. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think that's right. And TBF, that cuts both ways. If you're engaged by a film, the last thing you give a **** about is what room the breaker/ tracker is in. You get that the film is giving you enough to accept they know where it is without bringing the story to a screeching halt to explain it.

11. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    So, the plot hole is they stop referring to a breaker room/ breaker and start referring to a tracking room/ tracker? Fine. But was anyone seriously stymied plot-wise by that? Honestly?

Lost_Hope and KembaSkywalker like this.
  12. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Finn and Rose are talking about class A process and how they need to disable it by using a specific breaker.

We always knew that the FO and the Resistance are able to track their enemies, but not while on lightspeed.

Finn made the assumption that the same room where the breakers for the regular trackers are located, a.k.a, the Tracker Room, is where they would find the breaker used for the hyperspace tracking, and disable it.

Their reasoning is that while they do not understand the technology, this technology would still require a breaker.

Finally, since they are not able to actually disable the tracker, we cannot say that they were even in the correct room. :)

13. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Nah. Just something to complain about.

Ricardo Funes and Vicarious Fan like this.
  14. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    I just checked the closed captions. They initially establish that they cannot get to the tracker because it is on the main bridge, but that they can shut it down via the breaker in the breaker room. From this point they refer to their mission as shutting down the tracker or disabling the tracker, both of which are consistent with using the breaker in the breaker room.

HOWEVER, once they're on the supremacy and about to breach the door, Finn says "So this is it. The tracker is right behind this door." This dialog in conjunction with the Visual Dictionary identifying this room as the TRACKING ROOM leads to an explicit contradiction.

As such, my final verdict on the status of Tracker-gate is: PLOT HOLE. We did it!

Thankfully, being the breaker or being the tracker serves the exact same purpose. So while I'm perfectly fine with calling it a plot hole, it in no way changes the way we move through the story. It really kind of sits in a gray area between continuity error, convenient dialog for the sake of the audience, and a plot hole, but I would say it leans towards plot hole because of the explicit nature of the earlier dialog.

Satipo likes this.
  15. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    You realise that they know what a tracker is - it's a common piece of technology. They haven't seem a hyperspace track before. They are applying their knowledge of normal tracker. At least that's what I got from it.

16. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Interesting. I think you are confusing your home single panel breaker with an industrial or military panel. But more importantly, it wouldn't be labeled "hyperspace tracker". Can you guess why?

17. shafty

shafty Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    Didn't they show how they got the schematics to the star destroyer in the dlc for battlefront 2?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

18. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    What is funny is I'm only 99% sure you are cracking a joke.

shafty likes this.
  19. shafty

shafty Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2014
  20. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    [face_rofl]

And I'm sure this plot hole has been discussed prior.

TFA Poe - amazed at Hux/Ren's Star Destroyer. How could they have something like this with the armistice? If the New Republic only knew.

TLJ Poe (a few hours later) - That's Snoke ship. That's the fleet killer Dreadnought. We know everything about the F.O. now. Unconscious Finn told us. We watched his dreams of mopping up each and every one.

-LordSkywalker- and LordDallos like this.
  21. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Because I was being facetious?

22. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    maybe that was the time travel room. It contained a flux capacitor after all.

23. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Hahaha, that was a nice tribute to the famous flux capacitor.

24. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    You are missing the part where Finn is NOT unconscious when he is in the Rebel base telling everyone about the First Order, before he goes to SKB with Han and gets unconscious.

Oh, and SKB happens several days after Poe is arrested. And they had enough time to debrief Finn in the Rebel base.

25. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    You mean the part where they are in a rush to get to SKB? You think he gave a two week course lecture with Power Point in those few minutes?

"We are the next target for SKB. They are powering up now. Let's take a few days to have Finn fill us in on everything about the First Order instead of concentrating on the specific task at hand."

You also mentioned the part where Battlefront 2 tried to run cover for TLJ, which actually compounds the problem. Why was Poe so surprised at the extreme militarization of the First Order in TFA if they already knew about the extreme militarization right down to the blueprints/schematics?

Ok, so the plot hole is in TFA and not TLJ? Take your pick. One or the other.