main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Boxing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthSubZero, May 15, 2007.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ^ agreed and great point

Jester J Binks likes this.
  2. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    March is actually a pretty good month for heavyweights

March 3
    Deontay Wilder v. Luis Ortiz

March 31
    Anthony Joshua v. Joseph Parker (unification)
    Alexander Povetkin v. David Price

That answers A LOT of questions in the HW division. That is practically a super six tournament of the HW division.

I'm thinking Joshua v. Wilder would take place in the UK. Not just because Joshua can draw better in the UK than Wilder can draw in the USA, but Joshua is currently "the man".

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Roy Jones promises that tonight is his last fight.

Hope so, for his health. Turns 50 next year, and he is analysis is incomprehensible when working fights.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    I haven't watched a Roy Jones fight since Tarver and Glenn Johnson made it known that Roy could no longer rely on his amazing reflexes. At that point, I didn't want to see him become punch drunk. Last I heard was he became a Russian citizen or something like that.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Are you confusing Roy Jones with Steven Segal, because Segal did become a Russian citizen.

6. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...russian-citizen-with-moscow-passport-ceremony

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Huh. Didn't know that.

8. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    You know you've gotten old when you only truly watch one sport (boxing) and half the boxing matches you don't even recognize the names even though some of them are champions or up and comers. And the half you do recognize are in their last fights (GGG) or should have had their last fight years ago (Roy Jones).

They really need to work out the sanctioning bodies situation ASAP. WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO (and more). I know it has been that way for decades, but it is getting worse (champion and super champion for instance and the WBO used to just mean top challenger). It has become such a joke that sometimes the *champion* is just the Ring magazine champion, which has its own bias.

Somebody please fix boxing. My response to not knowing the top fighter of each division comes down to "what's the point?"

9. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    last time i watched jones fight and he was cooked then hopefully he hangs them up for good

can wait for the golovkin/canelo rematch golovkin was absolutely screwed by the judges

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I just tuned into HBO Boxing and Buffer just said "Let's get this party starteeeeed!" instead of "Let's get ready to rumbllllllle!"

wtf

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    wilder-joshua could be the most important fight in 20 years.

wilder-joshua II could revive boxing.

wilder-joshua III could make boxing mainstream again.

as the heavys go, so go boxing. and the heavys have been on life support since lennox lewis retired.

please don't let anything derail this fight.

12. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Not being Bias... but Wilder.. hasn't got a chance after what I saw last night, he got hit.. he was gassing out after flurry's of punches.. and Ortiz had him going at somepoints.. Better fighter puts wilder away last night if in Oritz position

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    he found unbelievable power three rounds after looking dead in the water, very few fighters are capable of that.

he's not as well rounded as AJ, but he's a very dangerous fighter, and exciting. that should make for a great series of fights, i'm hoping.

Luke02 likes this.
  14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Both Wilder and Joshua have big warts in their fight games. But there is no denying their absolutely insane power. I agree with @heels1785 and actually I go one higher when it comes to the importance of a possible Wilder-Joshua. I think it be the most important fight in thirty years since Mike Tyson tore thru Michael Spinks in 91 seconds. Because before that fight Tyson wasn't the lineal heavyweight crazy as it sounds. Spinks was considered the linear champion (and ring champion) for beating Larry Holmes. but after Tyson dusted Spinks there was no doubt in anyone's mind that Tyson was the baddest man on the planet and it made Tyson a bigger star then ever before which boxing road the momentum to the early 2000's. Keep in Tyson had the belt for nearly two years after he beat Spinks. Before tend to forget that as it felt like Tyson lost right after beating Spinks but again he was champ until 1990. Boxing could have the same type of push but I think until it gets back to have "1 champion" it really cannot push itself back UFC. Say what you want about Dana White and how he set up UFC but they have 8 weight classes for men and 4 for women. And there is one belt most of the time even with the interm champ nonsense. Lot of easier for people to realize who the best are and the champions are when you have only twelve weight classes for both men and women along withe one champ for each of those weight classes since there really is only one league (I love Bellator but really is a minor league organization that is really for UFC washouts and guys/gals who are trying get their way to UFC). Boxing though? There are 17 weight classes for men and 6 organizations if you count the TBRB (Transnational Boxing Rankings Board) which is trying to come up with a true linear champ for every belt. That is way too much. They need to have less weight classes and have only championship belt if they truly want to leapfrog UFC and go back to being mainstream. But too much corruption over the decades makes that nearly impossible. :mad:

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    So, we all ready for this - Points decisions, split to Joshua I say. But I'd dearly love Parker to win for jingoist reasons. Also, other reasons.

heels1785 likes this.
  16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    relieved showtime's showing it, non-ppv. joshua by KO for me.

could end up being a great fight, but joshua's huge reach advantage is not something i expect joseph to overcome.

jp-30 likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm just catching this at round 8. yeah, the ref is not doing well.

18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Wouldn't let them fight close - serious disadvantage to Parker. Oh well...

bizzbizz likes this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    a weird fight. a good fight, though, even though it wasn't flashy. the ref was awkward, but al bernstein was making way too much of it.

aj did his best floyd mayweather impression tonight. kept his distance, chipped away with his left, and sound defense. parker has a lot of heart, and he did a great job of slowing the fight down, but he never really had a chance to put the sustained, continuous damage on joshua that he needed to hurt him. i thought both fighters went to the body well.

wilder is the ultimate unknown when it comes to his style. getting forced into this kind of a slow, tactical fight tonight should help AJ when he inevitably has to adjust (likely multiple times) in that fight.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Golden Boy called off Canelo-Golovkin 2. Bloody hell.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    That was going to happen when Nevada suspended him pending his hearing.

Luke02 likes this.
  22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Every time boxing takes a step back ...it takes two steps backwards.

heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    wba is mandating joshua fight povetkin next. no wilder.

the politics of boxing are so ****ing stupid

bizzbizz likes this.
  24. bizzbizz

Dec 16, 2015
    canelo is a drug cheat should be banned for 2 years. ggg was also robbed in the first fight anyway unlucky for ggg he would of shown up canelo again

25. bizzbizz

Dec 16, 2015
    very much so whats the point of having the two fight if the ref wont let parker actually fight