main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rate The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by chris hayes, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Rate the Last Jedi in the choices below

Poll closed Jan 13, 2018.
  1. 5/5 Absolutely loved it

30.6%
  2. 4/5 Solid a good addition to the saga

18.8%
  3. 3/5 It was ok , worthy but flawed

11.8%
  4. 2/5 Some eye candy but felt underwelmed

16.2%
  5. 1/5 Meh Dissapointed

10.0%
  6. 0/5 The worst Star Wars movie ever , down with the Jar Jar doo doo

13.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Since I quoted your post I must have read it. You criticized fans and their headcanon for having expectations while in fact it was KK feeding these expectations. Nothing more and nothing less. [face_peace]

T-R-, -LordSkywalker- and Darth Smurf like this.
  2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    KK said she would be an "important" character, and she is for the Finn arc. Captain Canady, for example, is not an important character. KK never said Phasma would be a major character.

I said that fans created the requirement for the chrome stormtrooper to be this amazing character. And I remember exactly when this happened, because I was there too. It was as soon as the first teaser with Phasma was released. "OMG look at that stormtrooper" was when it all started.

If Phasma was just a regular stormtrooper captian, with the red shoulder paldron, nobody would be complaining now.

3. castlecrasher2

castlecrasher2 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 31, 2018
    Did you somehow miss all the advertising with Captain Phasma, the cool-looking stormtrooper so buy my toys, plastered on it?

T-R- likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Don’t forget the novel and comic for TLJ. Wasn’t there video’s on all of the different things the toy says?

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Is this the Phasma thread? *Checks* Nope. So let's get back on topic.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    2/5 is my score, which is quite fair. TLJ has some nice visual effects and action sequences (the Falcon going through caves and the Kylo/Rey fight were good), and some of the creatures like falmers were cute. Unfortunately, the rest of the film, from bad jokes to confused themes and bizarre subversions, was a bomb.

7. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    This is the future. Gone are the days where standard "knight rescues damsel in distress" are going to work.

Get ready for more revolutions in Star Wars, TLJ was only the beginning. Count me in.

8. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I have to say now...either a 1 or 2/5.

Was it entertaining? Sure. Great visuals and good acting? Sure. But dig a little deeper and the story is total rubbish. After watching the 6 hour long critique on YouTube scene-by-scene, it's clear that the writing was absolute garbage. Not because it wasn't what most people expected, but because it threw away so much, destroyed so much, gave hardly anything else satisfying in return, and had a crazy tone. What makes it especially bad are some of the scenes where you don't know how you're supposed to feel. A scene will start with very serious and emotional and touching tone only to be stopped dead by a stupid joke or input of humor. How did RJ want us to feel in that moment? You can't mix together tons of different feelings in a single scene and have your audience all over the place.

MS1, Darth Vain, Glitterstimm and 2 others like this.
  9. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    We have announced, so far, Solo, +3 movies for Rian, + a series, + possibly Kenobi, + IX

We are talking at least 8 movies, possibly 10 or even more.

Fans will have to get used to be challenged, get used for different tones, get used for unexpected things to happen.

For more adult themes to be used, and for the simplistic heroes of before to get a new level of complexity.

The most interesting thing about superheroes are their flaws. The most interesing about TLJ is how it shows the flaws of our heroes, and how they deal and overcome them.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  10. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
  11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    @Ricardo Funes
    Stay on topic. Don't tell other people their subjective opinions are wrong. Don't double post.

12. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    I am just being friendly. I am not questioning his score, I am just pointing out that his sig is different from what he said and suggesting him to look at it.

I come in peace.

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Alright, that's fine. Regardless, stay on topic. This thread is for rating The Last Jedi, not for defending or rationalizing the future direction of the series.

14. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    You're right, it is different...because for this poll, I'm going by the actual worded description, not the number score. I'm fully aware that a 1 or 2/5 would mean a 2 or 4/10, but my personal scale is different than the scale created for this poll; that's why they don't align.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  15. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    In my experience, any critique that feels the need to be more than twice as long as the movie it criticizes falls into the realm of rambling and nitpicking. Some people accuse the Plinkett reviews of this and they’re only about an hour. I can only imagine how ridiculous a 6 hour “critique” must be.

16. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Cool, no worries. Hey, what you said is actually very interesting.

A 6.5/10 score is not a brilliant score, but seems to be at least considering that over 50% of the movie (being: visuals, sound, music, acting, story) worked for you.

I wonder if this poll is not skewing the scores lower because of the descriptions. I mean, a "meh" movie could be considered one that is not good nor bad, it is "meh". It seems to me that it would be reasonable that a "meh" movie would be a 5/10.

In fact, the scores in this poll for 1/5 and 2/5 are basically the "meh" score, just with two different words (disappointed and underwhelmed).

I am feeling that these descriptions are skewing the poll downwards.

17. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    In all fairness, the descriptions are also skewing the poll upwards. I absolutely loved TLJ, so accordingly I voted 5/5, but ordinarily I would never give it a technically perfect score, as it's not a perfect film.

18. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Agreed as well. There are both negative and positive skewings in the descriptions.

But from the 6 options, 4 have a negative spin: flawed, underwhelmed, disappointed, worst ever

For example, in "ok worthy, but flawed", the "ok worthy" part has far less weight next to "flawed", which is a much stronger word.

At least this is my feeling as a non-native speaker.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  19. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    Same here. I voted 5/5 since I loved it but 5/5 indicates a perfect film, which IMO it's not. When I did my own review of the saga I gave TLJ an 8.5/10.

20. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    By that metric, would any film actually get 5/5?

21. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    Very few would get a 5/5 for me. That's just me though.

22. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    It's actually not at all ridiculous. I thought it would be, but very little of it was. If you like logic, you'd like it. If you don't like stories being ruined by logic and continuity, then you won't enjoy it.

23. castlecrasher2

castlecrasher2 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 31, 2018
    With 20 hours of Star Wars movies and loads of book material, yeah, a 6 hour critique is not out of the question.

24. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    What are you saying?
    How could logic and continuity "ruin" a story ?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  25. ChillCaladbolg

ChillCaladbolg Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2017
    Gotta say it makes me sad that you started by pointing out you watched a 6 hour critique on YouTube in order to come to your conclusions on the film. I wonder if there is a video out there that points out all the very ways that TLJ directly satisfies things set up from previous films.

KembaSkywalker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.