main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milena

milena Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2018
    Anti-hero, perhaps?

2. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    You are so right. ;)

Now that i think about it , its ONLY "Kylo scenes" with other characters that carry ANY emotional weight in this saga.

Kylo - Han scene in TFA.
    Kylo - Leia scene in TLJ.
    Kylo - Luke scene in TLJ.
    Kylo - Han's dice in TLJ.
    Kylo in the falcon in TFA(deleted scene)
    Han - Leia scenes in TFA( they were about Kylo too)
    Luke - Leia scene in TLJ(it was about Kylo too)

Kylo carries the entire emotional weight of this saga at this point.

More than ANY other character.

Well i guess that happens
    When you are the last skywalker/solo in the skywalker saga. ;)

3. Dragon Jedi

Dragon Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2018
    Absolutely.
    It goes beyond compassion and empathy.
    Anakin was wrong. Compassion is not unconditional love, is just one part of it.

Darth Gummybear, milena and M70ko like this.
  4. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Kylo is definitely a romantic hero. His grandfather was in PT and his father was in OT. So no wonder a Skywalker-Solo aka Kylo is the romantic hero/lead and love interest in PT. It makes sense from Heroine Journey POV cause in such stories (again, Jane Eyre, P&P, other classics all the way down to Greek myths such as Persephone/Hades) heroine's love interest reflects to the heroine that she is more. In Rey and Kylo case, Rey discovers that she has the Force during the interrogation so that's the first step in her acknowledging that she has that power within herself and that is means something profound. Their interactions develop both characters in profound ways which is a staple of all great romances. Moreover, there are so many visual and narrative cues that mark him as the romantic hero/lead. feel free to post images as long as they are legal (all TFA and officially released TLJ content).

Mana, ReyRandom, NileQT87 and 3 others like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t see Kylo actually owning what he did until he makes an effort to do something about it. As it is, his comment of “Yes I am [a monster]” might as well be followed by “...and that’s OK,” or “...but other people were monsters first,” or “...and what are you going to do about it?” He is not genuinely taking responsibility for his behavior at this point.

As far as Finn, if he complained about the First Order being terrible, that doesn’t make him whiny, that makes him correct. Rey was a bit whiny though. I would like to see her become more of an action taker in IX.

I also did not see Leia and Luke as “giving up.” It is impossible to help someone who does not want help and does not think he needs it, and that has nothing to do with love. Being honest and realistic about solutions does not indicate an absence of love. I have no doubt that both Leia and Luke loved Kylo to the end. If there is ever a scene when he shows himself genuinely willing to accept help and they refuse to help him, I’ll believe they no longer love him, but that scene is unlikely to happen.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  6. milena

Jan 5, 2018
    I wonder if the name Kylo is after the latin word caelo (I think it's pronounced the same way as Kylo). It means sky, a possible reference to his Skywalker heritage?

NileQT87 likes this.
  7. Dragon Jedi

Dragon Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2018
    I found Rey very emotional too, just less dramatic:
    • In her lonely home on Jakku having her solitary half portion meal, seeing the self made doll and counting the days on the wall. Takes me every time.
    • It was emotional when Maz took her hand and told her that those she's waiting for are never coming back.
    • When she kissed Finn in a coma.
    • Her wonder when she sees so much green in her life (Takodana)
    • Her imagining an ocean in order to fall asleep (it takes even Kylo)
    • When she discovers the truth in the cave and drops on her knees, defeated.
    • Her craving for physical contact and closeness, highlighting her search for belonging is rather emotional to me.
    Her character is less tortured and conflicted, therefore less dramatic than Kylo, but emotional nonetheless.

hermiona52, rorow1 and milena like this.
  8. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    Could be.

Kylo Ren is a well thought out name i must say.

It has different meanings.

"Ren" actually means humanity.
    Like the concept of humanity. Like being benevolent, kind, loving self and others, compassionate etc.

"Ren" also means lotus = Padme too.
    So thats a reference as well.

Kylo is skywalker solo.

So yeah it has many meanings and references.

NileQT87 and milena like this.
  9. milena

Jan 5, 2018
    Ren also mean ruler.

Star war likes this.
  10. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    Well Supreme Leader Ren is our new ruler.
    So. ;)

milena likes this.
  11. milena

Jan 5, 2018
    I wouldn't say the only character, but it's true that most of his scenes have emotional weight to them, even his scenes with Snoke (and the elevator).

Star war likes this.
  12. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    [​IMG]

I'm so thrilled that Force Bond scenes were filmed as early as Feb 2016, because that was the time of the most rampant campaigning for Rey Related and anti-Reylo (since it was sinking Reywalker/Soloist). So not only LF didn't back away from their plan amid Internet pressure, but it also shows that reading of TFA on behalf of fandom that supported Rey Unrelated (aka Rey Random) and Reylo was on the money from the very beginning. Including suspicion that the characters had the Force Bond like Revan/Bastila (now unofficially called ForceSkype or ForceTime).

milena likes this.
  13. M70ko

M70ko Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 25, 2018
    The more i read you and the more i think about it.. I don't even see a redemption/turn to the light for Kylo that necessary... He is already tormented for his decisions, he only needs to heal. And it's interesting cause now he has no Snoke and no Luke to remind him about his dark and light in that way. He's on his own now. And if it wasn't for the Resistance I don't even see any conflict anymore.. I truly believe in him as a ruler... :p

Star war likes this.
  14. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Considering that Prime Jedi mosaic is Yin Yang, Kylo doesn't have to become all Light. That's not Yin Yang. It's accepting both sides in oneself. Same goes for Rey. Luke didn't mention that she was instantly attracted to the darkness without resisting. It's part of her that she doesn't have to purge but find the balance with herself between her dark and light.

15. M70ko

Jan 25, 2018
    I think he will find balance again during Ep IX.. And you're right, Luke totally overreacted about Rey "going straight to the dark" as if she was going to become evil just like that lol.
    She has to know it, not fear it, not resist it..

hermiona52, NileQT87 and milena like this.
  16. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    I kinda agree with you.

Kylo doesnt need redemption in the typical sense.

I think he needs to right the wrongs done by him and his family to the galaxy.

Vader really changed the galaxy for the worse.
    So Kylo needs to make it right.
    This is his burden. Not Rey's.

He is the Supreme Leader now.
    I think he will change the galaxy, like Vader did, but in a GOOD way.

Like he will try to end the war and bring a new order and peace to the galaxy.

That is the only way ST will make sense and connect the whole saga.

M70ko likes this.
  17. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    @M70ko

Exactly. The Jedi and the Sith/Dark Siders alike were thought to resist what's perfectly natural side of them - Dark or Light. But the balance isn't extinguishing one but living with both in harmony. Hence Yin and Yang - dark with a spec of light and light with a spec of dark, neither 100% pure one or the other.

@Star war Agreed. if he changed the galaxy in a good way that would be a great full circle. Finishing what Vader started but in a good way.

18. M70ko

Jan 25, 2018
    Completely agreed with you... Now the question, how? XD

19. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    That's for JJ to figure out but there's no doubt there will be visually stunning scenes. Rey and Kylo always have the most striking looking scenes.

M70ko and milena like this.
  20. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Very intriguing!

21. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    Maybe connected but Pablo said that up till filming Kylo's name was pronounced; 'kee-lo'.

M70ko likes this.
  22. Master Hector

Master Hector Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2018
    I DoN'T LiKe SaND

23. MichaelSkellig

MichaelSkellig Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2017
    Seemed to me that Snoke correctly anticipated that the Force would do its balance thing via Luke Skywalker. What he hadn't imagined was that Luke would cut himself off completely from the Force so that he wasn't available. Snoke had spent all that time cultivating Ben Solo because he saw him as the only creature likely to be strong enough to beat Luke Skywalker, who would inevitably get superpowered. He'd wasted all that effort essentially for nothing, because Luke's detachment meant that the lightside energy had risen in a complete nobody, and Luke had not been Force-enhanced as Snoke had expected. Luke would therefore be easy to take out, and the whole Ben Solo project was at an end.

But the other thing he hadn't expected was the 'complete nobody' would be the perfect fit to make an emotional bond with Ben Solo - beautiful, strong, female, lonely, abandoned, isolated by Force powers - and therefore be exactly the partner to help Kylo bring Snoke down.

Poetry. Beautiful.

hermiona52, NileQT87, milena and 4 others like this.
  24. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Hey, guys, remember this?

[​IMG]

Rian tweeted this teaser that many Reylos thought it was the Red Thread of Fate and thus a hint at the Force Bond. Look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_thread_of_fate

NEVER BREAK. =D=

Moreover, look at the Twin Flames aka Destined Twin Flames:

[​IMG]

This is exactly what Rian said, two halves of almost the same protagonist. Or JJ's "two disparate pieces come together". Also, lots of flames in Rey and Kylo scenes (hand touch, the Red Room).

Finally, the story about the Red String of Fate:

So one lover scars the other. Wow. =D=

25. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Rey was born before Luke cut himself off from the Force. Like all Force-sensitives, Rey was born with it, and she has always been this strong; it just seems that her strength wasn’t fully-realized until recently. In fact, unless Ben actually fell when he was 10(!?), Rey’s birth had no connection to his turn to the dark side or Luke’s woes with the Force.

Ben Solo was not abandoned. Period. There’s a huge difference between feeling your loving parents aren’t around enough and *literally* being abandoned to fend for yourself. But perhaps they both think they were abandoned? Otherwise, there’s no comparison.

And neither Ben nor Rey has been isolated by their Force strength. Especially Rey - has there been any evidence whatsoever that anyone has rejected Rey because she’s Force-strong? (And no, don’t say Luke. He rejected her from the very first, and he was cut off from the Force at that point.) Seems that everyone thinks Rey is pretty awesome, actually. And she sure seemed cozy in the Falcon at the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.