main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    Thing is...

IF the handful of students Kylo took wth him DID become the Knights of Ren AND they're goign to be featured in Episode 9 in some way...

They couldn't really have a story featuring Luke and his force sensitive disciples until they know who these guys are going to be. We don't even know if they're all human.

So I think we might have to wait until after 9 for them to properly fill in Luke's 30 year gap in the new canon.

Just hope Mark's still around to do the voice.(which of course he highly likely will be but they've cause to be cautious here!

That said this is pretty much the ONLY animated series I want to see at this point

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Do you mean in general or about Star Wars?

3. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately but have finally put it to writing.
    Star Wars Rebels series finale ends March 5. Solo premiers May 25. Episode IX premiers December 20, 2019.
    With the exceptions of maybe more Forces of Destiny webisodes and another season of The Freemaker Adventures, there will be nothing Star Wars onscreen for 19 months.That is the longest time nothing Star Wars has been on screens for ten years (prior to TCW). I know there is the live-action show expected in 2019 to stream on Disney's upcoming streaming service (if the Fox acquisition does not affects its launch).
    What does everyone think are the chances of us getting some kind of surprise coming from Lucasfilm Animation this fall or next spring? I have just had a feeling that we could be getting something TCW-related since it is the Tenth Anniversary of the film and series premier.
    On the other side of the argument, though, it could be a way to give us some time: TLJ under performed with a lot of fans (not me, I loved it) and Solo is looking dim (I'm cautiously optimistic), this could be a way for Lucasfilm to give us a break and build up hype for the live action show and Episode IX.
    Anyway am I crazy? Has anyone else been thinking about this "break" we're getting?

podjazd likes this.
  4. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    I'm all in for some direct-to-dvd-streamingservice films *coughAhsoka'sWalkabout&BountyHuntersrarccough*

BigAl6ft6 and TadoFett like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Tats quite the cough you got there. You sure you should not see a doctor? :p

revan772 and TetsuAero like this.
  6. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    Well truth be told I don't watch a lot of animation other than Star Wars but that's more about my lack of leisure time at the moment!

Yeah I just meant it's the only animated Star Wars show I really want at the moment. I mean I've enjoyed bits of Rebels and will see it through to the end but I think given Mark's chops as a voice actor and the fact that he currently could still pass off his voice as his younger self AND the fact that a certain section of star wars fans (including me) are crying out for more Luke they'd be kind of neglectful not to do something in Luke's 30 year gap pretty much as soon as they can.

Throw in a cameo from Han (also voiced by Mark!) and Leia (AND LANDO FFS!) and you could have a pretty special series.

What I'd really like though is if they did it in a bit more of a classic 2d-not-quite-manga way like the Batman stuff.

I can dream can't I? (I seem to say that almost every other post at the moment!)

TadoFett likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I can see them really doing something like that. Let's hope they do.

littlewaves likes this.
  8. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I keep thinking that TLJ really cleared the deck for that to happen now rather than after IX, since I don't think there's much of the backstory that will be addressed in the films. None of the unanswered questions have any bearing on the story going forward, so this series should be able to happen.

I keep thinking that, that is, until people bring up the Knights of Ren who may show up in IX. The reason I forget about that is that I just really don't care about the Knights of Ren, but I guess that might be the one piece of narrative backstory that is off limits.

9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well holy heck in a hand basket. This day is full of suprises.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    GunganSlayer likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well like that guy in the SWNN comments said, LFL probably wants to emulate Marvel and DC and have a bunch of shows out there at the same time. And given this particular franchise, some can be standalone, while others can be interconnected, possibly leading to a crossover event or series.

12. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Well we know that Rebels is not the end of SW animation so I guess that means we'll have both Live Action and animated TV series in the Disney streaming service.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    My guess is we could get two animated shows since Dave was made head of animation for a reason. That would not make much sense if they were only making one animated show at a time.

cwustudent and kalzeth like this.
  14. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Well, with my already limited free time and all the new SW movies being announced, looks like I won't be watching anything else but Star Wars eventually.

black_saber and revan772 like this.
  15. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    revan772 and kalzeth like this.
  16. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Kinda mixed on all this news. Two new TV shows. Two new trilogies. If things go right, hopefully they'll all be good. I just hope Disney will know when to stop when the quality goes away. Or at the very least doesn't make people sick of Star Wars by making the franchise seem like an intimidating labyrinthine leviathan (as I'll admit the Marvel movie universe is beginning to do to me. Its not there yet but its close). Jerry Seinfeld had the wisdom to end his show before it got bad. The Simpsons has not. I'd hate to see Star Wars become like The Simpsons.

TetsuAero likes this.
  17. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Yup, that's what I'm thinking as well. I suspect that very soon, possibly shortly after Rebels concludes, we'll get announcements on the next few animated projects.

Whenever Disney does the full official reveal of their service, I'm sure they'll announce whatever Star Wars live-action (or animated) shows are in the works for the service.

I just would love if we'd get one final Ewok movie, to cap it off and make it an Ewok trilogy! Adult Cindel! Warrick Davis back as Wicket! I know it may sound I'm being factitious, but I actually am serious. I think there could be potential in such a streaming-service film.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  18. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Lets see how much more hype I can get. Reintroducing some Legends perhaps? I would also love to see something from a corner of the galaxy that does not mention rebellions, empires, republics, Jedi, Sith, ect. They could use the Force, but call it something else. I have been wanting this since forever.

How many more months before they announce another tv series and set of movies? This is the second time we have gotten that announcement and each time it is getting me more hype. :)

black_saber and kalzeth like this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I have some good news for you. Someone on the story group confirmed that more legends characters are coming to canon.

revan772, kalzeth and black_saber like this.
  20. revan772

Aug 5, 2014
    Sometimes I wish I could just directly deposit my paychecks straight to Disney / Star Wars. What a time to be a fan, I am very happy about a good majority of the direction they are heading.

black_saber and kalzeth like this.
  21. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Disney is going to give us what we want. More Star Wars is a good thing and I'm going to tell you I think its going to be good.

revan772 likes this.
  22. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Are you sure more star wars is a good thing though? ;)

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    We need more Star Wars TV shows. I am very happy for this announcement.

podjazd, black_saber and revan772 like this.
  24. revan772

Aug 5, 2014
    Yes. There is of course going to be some that I do not like, but there is bound to be good and great too. I am excited for all of this new stuff! :D

black_saber likes this.
  25. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    My concern is how much can the Star Wars cow/space pinniped be milked? The core of Star Wars seems to be Hero of a Thousand Faces hero's journey stuff and if that story is repeated over and over again in the same setting, I fear it may grow stale. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars. But I also love ice cream and if I ate ice cream every day for 10 years I have the feeling I'd grow sick of it. Hopefully T.V. won't suffer the issue the films do which is to constantly recapitulate the X-falls to the dark side, Y villain has a doomsday laser, Z must rise from obscurity, find themselves, and defeat Y/redeem X story. Hopefully the new T.V. shows will spice things up like the Clone Wars did with the Umbara arc and tread on narratives we haven't seen in Star Wars. But of course then you run into the issue of diversifying the narrative too much and making the whole thing seem like an incoherent mess with no common theme. Star Wars would just become a label. Which is why I would prefer the franchise not to be endless. Endless franchises are either doomed to be stale or doomed to mutate into something so broad it can't be appreciated or defined as a single entity anymore.