main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Plot Holes In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zackm, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    For the sake of people who are here to actually discuss the topic and not make snark and flaming attempts, I will answer.

No, Finn did not need to give them a two week course, nor use Power Point.

He could have started by telling Han about the First Order during all their time together flying to Takodana.

In the Rebel Base, Finn could very well tell them about the types of ships and the army of the First Order in 1 hour.

Going back to TFA, it is clear that some time passes as they are preparing the attack. They did not left 10 minutes after the Falcon arrived in the base, it is clear that a few hours passed by then.

Finally, during TFA C-3PO leads a spy droid network, some of which could be infiltrated in the First Order.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Resistance_spy_droid_network

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    BF2 Resurrection takes place during TFA. Not before, not after. Poe would have been debriefed after the SKB attack. The First Order doesn't show up at D'Qar as soon as the Millenium Falcon leaves. If you're going to cry plot hole, find out a thing or two first so you don't look like a fool.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  3. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Finn says "they track us from the main bridge", which does not mean that the tracker hardware is on the main bridge. It only means the information relayed by the tracker is presented and controlled by the control panels on the main bridge.

So it is possible that the tracker hadware was located somewhere else, which in fact makes sense.

4. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    "But we can't get to the tracker. It's an A-class process, they'll control it from the main bridge."

5. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Exactly, they will control it from the main bridge. Not the same as the hardware being located on the main bridge.

"Get to the tracker" means that they wanted to disable the tracker, but the control panel is on the main bridge where it is impossible for them to access.

My reasoning is the same as an airplane or military destroyer. They have sensors that are located all around the ship, but are all controlled by the bridge.

And this is why they decide that is easier to attack the breaker instead. Since the breaker is part of the tracker, no worries calling it a tracker or a breaker.

6. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm not sure it matters. They go from "We can't get to the tracker" to "The tracker is right behind this door" (A door they are able to get through).

Again, it doesn't actually change the way we move through the story, so I'm not too concerned about it. But I do think it's fair to call it a (very minor) plot hole.

7. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Where does it say the time between the D'Qar attack and MF leaving? The fact that they keep using stuff outside of the movie to explain what should have been in the movie is proof the movie had huge problems. The idea that the F.O. would not attack D'Qar so soon and the Rebels decide to not refuel is completely illogical.

Now notice how all of this was directed at the film and not another poster. Please try to have a civil discussion. Hint: humor is not flaming. Going after a poster is flaming. Just stop bringing the forum down repeatedly.

LordDallos likes this.
  8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    @Jester J Binks

Before TFA they don't know about the First Order's big ships.

During TFA they find out about their other ships and Starkiller Base from Finn

Between TFA and TLJ they receive schematics.

9. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    The breaker in your house is part of the electric circuit of your house, right?

Just the same as the breaker is part of the tracker.

They are the same thing. A complex machine has several parts. The breaker is one part of the tracker, so how they call it is just semantics.

I do not expect the characters to overstate minutia about what they are talking just for technical exposition for the audiences.

And we also have C-3PO's spy droid network, which is part of the history of how he has got a red arm in TFA.

10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Then please stop trolling. This thread is about plot holes, not what you have a problem with or what wasn't spelled out in the films. The basis of discussion is impossibilities within the continuity. Poe and the Resistance receiving knowledge of the First order's fleet prior to TLJ is not an impossibility.

Lost_Hope and Ricardo Funes like this.
  11. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I don't know if this is quite being remembered correctly, but does DJ overhear anything about the Raddus's transports being cloaked? I think I'm remembering that the cloaking the film gives the transports isn't mentioned until after Poe's been knocked unconscious, and then the First Order follows DJ's tips and sees them with a decloaking scan. And I'm not remembering exactly if they're in sight of Crait before Finn and co. make it to the Raddus.

I may be wrong, but do you guys think it works that way? It could be another minor plot hole that can be worked around, but I'm just curious.

12. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    Yep. Poe is communicating the plan to evacuate the ships to Finn and Rose while they are in the stolen ship. DJ overheard. There is a shot of him listening. I don't think Poe mentions cloaking but all DJ has to tell the FO the plan and they can work out the rest including running the de-cloaking scan.

13. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    If the First Order can track through hyperspace why don't they track the falcon?

14. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    They are tracking the capital ships of the Resistance after making visual contact with them and watching them jump to hyperspace.

They are not tracking every single ship in the galaxy.

Starkiller17 likes this.
  15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    This thread is not a backdoor for more "This movie sucked!" snark, nor is it for back and forth sniping. If we do not see a marked improvement in here in the next 24 hours, this thread will be locked.

16. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    At the end?

Holdo's manouever will have had a say in that.

Ricardo Funes and redxavier like this.
  17. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Since when every tracker looks like that? We saw other types of tracking in Star Wars - mostly in the form of homing beacons - and no, they don't look like that. That thing is specifically specified as an Hyperspace tracker, new tech. They shouldn’t know how it looks like, since they both deemed it impossible.

But let’s just assume for a moment that now every tracker – or the main reactor coupled to the mechanism – just looks like that. What’s the deal with the breaker room? If the idea was to find the tracker and disable it, and they assumed that the machine would look like a normal tracker, shouldn’t the dialogue have been:

Finn: Well, the lead ship only has one tracking room, so they should be tracking us from there.
    Rose: But who knows where there is?
    Finn: The guy who used to mop it.

I don’t know why RJ made it needlessly confusing, but either way, the original idea was to disable the circuit breaker associated with the tracker from a breaker room, and that somehow changed to go directly to the room where the actual tracker is located.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  18. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    I have never seen a tracker in Star Wars before. The most I saw was how a breaker for a tractor beam was, but never a tracker.

It would make no sense to have the breaker in another part of the ship. If the tracker is in that room, the breaker should be there as well.

Therefore calling it breaker room and tracker room are both valid names.

The tracker is there, as well as the breaker panel.

It was not confusing in the movie, all the time I was following that they wanted to disable the tracker, and Finn knew where to go to do that. This is all that matters for me as audience.

The fact that Finn did not know about the secret military capabilities of the tracker is not a plot hole.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  19. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Why is anyone pretending they actually care about the difference between a tracker or a breaker?

Ricardo Funes and Vicarious Fan like this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Possibly, because they might actually care...? Some people just really are into the minutiae of this stuff. That is probably why Visual Dictionaries and Cross Section books sell.

21. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    True. I forget.

22. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    What? No. Breaker rooms are separate areas. It's normal to have special, protected rooms dedicated to store the circuit breakers, especially in big constructions with a lot of complex machinery. Big industrial complexes have several breaker rooms. The dialogue does mention the FO has such area. "Breaker room" is referred as a place where Finn used to mop the floors. It makes no sense to have an actual tracker machine inside a breaker room.

23. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Is the actual tracker machine inside the breaker room though? I don't get that impression. The tracker breaker is in that room.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, that what was what I sorta had to come up with for myself, as well.

In theory, the "device" is obviously in some sort of major control panel for accessibility and usage to those with the authority to do so. Probably on the bridge. But, where Finn, Rose and Mushmouth were was the equivalent of the circuit breaker or electrical panel in the basement.

25. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    My first impression was that the machine was some sort of power generator, as I didn't catch everything that was said in the movie. But in the second time I noticed - the machine is constantly referred as a actual tracker, and Finn says "the tracker is behind this door" when they get there. The VD labels that place as the tracking room.