main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Is it ok to punch fascists in or around their face?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Feb 2, 2017.

?

can - and indeed, *should*, you punch a fascist in their face?

1. Yes, it's a proud tradition

58 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. I'M NOT RACIST BUT no I think it's infringing free speech, violence isn't the answer, etc

27 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ostracize them and drive them underground where they belong, away from polite society.

Then when they themselves commit violent acts, which they are always likely to do, make a better use of our for-profit prison system than we are currently doing, and throw them in it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Lord Vivec, Juliet316 and Rew like this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That sounds an awful lot like Eloi speak...

gezvader28 likes this.
  3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Dammit, Ender, why couldn’t you have a Sterling Archer avatar right now? Then you and Gez arguing woulda been perfect, PERFECT!

Darth Punk and gezvader28 like this.
  4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Well the trouble with that argument is it can get easily exploited , for instance USA has gone to war more than once with the argument that they were stopping a tyranical regime and they've made a right mess in the middle east as a result .
    And its getting bandied about again now with N. Korea .

Sarge likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Is it that you have not understood the point of what I'm saying, or that you are merely deaf and blind to history?

At what point is liberalism's tolerance repaid with kindness by radical ideologies such as religious fundamentalism or fascism?

Say the fascists win in a country with a notional respect for liberalism and a strong attraction to the violent machismo, social conservatism, and structured racism of fascism. Like, I don't know... um... America. Will the tolerant liberals be vindicated or beaten silly?

Will in fact there be any value, excepting something akin to "manners are their own reward", for when the liberal tolerance is drowned out by the sound of jackboots marching in perfect unison?

You understand that fascism represents a very real threat to the liberal democratic tradition, right? By its nature it is designed to exploit liberalism from within, weaken it, and replace it. Anything from common sense to jus bellum iustum requires a swift and effective response, which no is not the turning of other cheeks.

Honestly it's like you have no idea what happened to countries that went fascist. Probably because you live in one that flirts with its perimeters every decade.

Please, nobody of adult level intelligence believed they were stopping tyranny. That just plays to their domestic audience.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    You people are sucking all the joy out of this thread.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    [​IMG]

8. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    Ender you literally started this thread because Richard Spencer was punched in the face. Now you are trying to spin it as some big metaphor for how liberalism shouldn’t tolerate fascism on a global-political scale.

@Sarge sorry for ruining the fun, I just can’t resist the debate with this mighty Goliath.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm not trying to spin it. I think fascists should be punched in the face. I think liberals getting squeamish about fash bashing are ignorant of history, and it's the duty of good people everywhere to punch fascists in - or around - their fascist faces.

10. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
  11. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    I just don't understand how punching them in the face is going to solve anything. It's not going to make them not be fascists anymore, if anything it's going to make them more determined to get their way and just give them an excuse to be even more violent in retaliation.

Dread Pirate Roberts likes this.
  12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It worked during the Second World War.

13. The Krynoid Man

Dec 24, 2015
    Because we were at war with a fascist nation trying to take over Europe. That doesn't apply to the current political situation.

14. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes it does.

Back to the joy of gifs

[​IMG]

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Actually it kind of does. Neo-Nazis are trying to force themselves into the mainstream and take over political discourse in the United States, and they have had some success, with the President referring to them as potentially “very fine people.”

Not an exact parallel but it does not need to be.

Rew, Ender Sai and DANNASUK like this.
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Or to drive them underground where they're afraid to show their faces. Are you actually stupid enough to believe we didn't have these people around from 1945 until recently?

DANNASUK likes this.
  17. The Krynoid Man

Dec 24, 2015
    Of course I know these people have been around since 1945. There have always been fascists, and there probably always will be.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The point is...Ender is right. They need to be ostracized, not mainstreamed, and not accepted in any way.

Healer_Leona and Juliet316 like this.
  19. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    or you could do an escape room with them

20. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    And there will always be people to punch them

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So why is it you think they're prominent now?

22. The Krynoid Man

Dec 24, 2015
    And my point is you don't need to use violence to do that.

I never said they were. Maybe they get more attention now due to online media, but I don't think they are any more prominent than they have been since the end of the war (as in, they are there but nowhere near the mainstream).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    They are being referred to as “very fine people” by the President of the United States, so yeah, they are nearer to the mainstream than they have been in decades.

starfish likes this.
  24. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
  25. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014