main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Sanctuary - (Dissenters Unite! - Warning on page 232)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Wasn't the Dreadnaught a fleet killer? I forget. Let's be honest, the only reason that existed was because the story had the resistance fleeing.

What do you call a resistance that flees? Certainly not a resistance. The message of the movie is that sometimes escaping is the right choice. (Unless of course, your'e Finn, then escaping is always bad.) That's a nice, smart, message, but that's not inherently a resistance. A resistance would do everything you just described, even without ion cannons protecting them. The Resistance attacks the FO, and then runs away. They loose 2 bases in the process. That's...the opposite of resisting. I mean, imagine if the movie was about how they were trapped on D'qar. Not enough fuel to get anywhere. Limited fighters. Some bombers. Not much hope. And the only protection they have is that their base is deep under the hills and the jungle around them. It would almost be like Crait, but across the entire movie. Scene by scene the FO is creeping closer, but the Resistance doesn't give up, doesn't let them in.

Maybe Leia sneaks Poe, Finn, Rose, whomever, off world in one tiny ship to find help. Rey is on her own adventure with Luke. The FO is first in orbit and then lands on the surface and begins the attack. We get a ground war, maybe the rig the bombers as a trap around the base, with the Resistance using the jungles around them to attack. And then all 3 sub plots return to D'qar, where help, other Resistance fighters, Luke, Rey, save the day, all inspired by the Resistance who would give up or lose hope.

It would be something we haven't seen in SW. You wouldn't need tracker or slicers or beacons that Finn or Rey are wearing to find where the fleet is or over complicating plot mechanics. Pretty simple. Instead of telling us about despair, hope, or inspiration, it would actually show it.

Darth Hater, DBPirate, Torib and 5 others like this.
  2. Darth DNS

Darth DNS Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2018
    It looks as though Disney is really on the verge of turning Star Wars into a mass product, too. Now, there's going to be two entirely new film series (one by Rian Johnson and one by the Game of Thrones guys), plus they already hinted at developing multiple TV series at the same time. Even if everything they've done so far with the franchise was great, it would be a warning sign that quality is bound to go down with quantity, but the sequel trilogy now seems to be beyond redemption, and the saga is heading into a rather questionable direction.

If you feel the same, there is a petition where you can voice your concerns in a non-vitriolic, civilized way: https://www.change.org/p/star-wars-fans-unite-for-the-future-of-the-saga

The purpose of the petition is to collect those fans who agree that the brand and its beloved characters deserve better than The Last Jedi, without making irrational claims or directly offending anyone. If we can show our numbers to Disney and LFL, perhaps they will recognize they should respect Star Wars at least as much as they did in the case of Rogue One...

DarthTalonx and nightangel like this.
  3. powerfulforce

powerfulforce Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 16, 2005
    They are a multi-billion dollar corporation, the only way they will listen is if people stop paying for it. I think that they will “write off” some of these films in order to establish a new world. The Skywalker saga is pretty much done with unless Luke had a child out there. However I think Disney is adamantly trying to get rid of everything that came before and are only using the nostalgia factor to get some older fans back. However I don’t think what they are doing is wise and I won’t even get into that whole “Girls can’t identify with Han or Luke because they’re men” argument that someone high up had put out.

4. Darth Trevius

Darth Trevius Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    maybe they will redo a bunch of these bad movies the way they redid batman and spiderman over and over ... i would love a much better prequel that covers plageus .. anikan can be in chapter 3 only .. the rest should be all sith and jedi origin ... i'll take some boba fett backstory too ... no midiclorians allowed either

5. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    signed it. ;)

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It seems to me that there is just SO much not actually addressed that this movie (like TFA) is rife with being able to allow anyone to come up with their own version of the story (since there was so little actually there). If you don't know Luke very well then it's hardly a problem.

The man who created Rey is know for female characters especially though. So why the failure with Rey's character is perplexing.

I don't know. Finn was pretty much DOA as an actual character. Like everyone else he's just there for the plot and emotion. Any actual character that comes out is merely co-incidental. Never for a second did I believe that he was ever a Stormtrooper. He never had any belief in the First Order that had to be overcome.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  7. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Agreed. It’s also pretty pointless relating TLJ particularly to the rest of the Star Wars saga because it is so out of kilter.

Rey goes from a nobody, unaware of the Force to a fully-fledged, fully capable Jedi literally in days. She very often appears aggressive, it’s established she is insecure and can’t sleep properly, yet she has total command over her powers. It just doesn’t fit with the PT or OT.

8. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    It's kind of like having a favorite tv show and then by the 8th or 9th season, the characters start getting cartoonish, acting dumb, they begin repeating plots from the first season, characters change just because, new characters aren't as cool, one of the main cast members is written out cuz he/she wants to do movies, etc.

I just went thru this with Walking Dead. lol.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Scrubs season 9

11. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Thing is, they gave her a sympathetic background as a poor (abandoned) orphan who had to be very self-sufficient from a young age but all that life did was make her picture-perfect. She is kind, compassionate and always morally righteous. Her displays of anger which are normally problematic for powerful force users are a breeze to get through for her.

It`s ridiculous that this kind of life gave her no flaws or edges or anything that leads to conflict or setbacks.

Jyn Erzo had hardship growing up and it clearly gave the character some edge, some flaws. I`m not saying Rey had to be the exact same type but while we can extrapolate that her life on Jakku so far included a lot of experiencing failure, that is over when the movie starts. She is only competent and on top of things - sure, she gets briefly captured but gets herself out of it easily enough, overpowering Kylo Ren - for the entire runtime. Rougly the same for TLJ. Except for Snoke pushing her around briefly, she is on top of everything. Before the Snoke scene and afterwards. The "revelation" about her parents doesn`t even give her a moment`s pause in her winning streak.

Kylo not turning is hardly her failure, it`s Kylo`s. Luke not coming back with her is Lukes failure, not hers.

By ROTJ Luke obviously had grown a lot, learned a lot and taken a level in Jedi badass but he still had struggles in that movie. He didn`t manage everything and easily win all the time, even by the third movie.

For Rey the question becomes if by the third movie she will actually lose something like any hero in any movie ever. Well, except her.

Supernatural Season 2519. (It`s only Season 13? Well, it feels like Season 2519).

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Great call on the late run TV show comparison. TLJ is the part where Urkel completely took over and was building time machines and transforming himself into Bruce Lee.

13. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Casting the heroes as the French Resistance during the time of the Vichy government would have been cool and different. Then the New Republic forces could come in for the big battles in IX. Jedi make sense in a small ops/spy environment, too.

-LordSkywalker- and kalzeth like this.
  14. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    The First Order should have been the under dogs in the sequel trilogy. With every film The First Order gains more power and control over the galaxy. Going into Episode 9 The First Order and the New Republic are on level playing fields. Heck, if Disney and Lucasfilm really wanted to switch things up they could have had the Knights of Ren and The First Order be somewhat like a small terrorist group. They don't have any large ships, a ton of stormtroopers, or much resources at their disposal. All of their attacks have to be well planned and thought out. Instead, we got an Empire organization rehash with all the same aesthetics.

15. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Yep. A story where the NR is newly established and finally feeling safe, and the last hold out, the Imperial Remnant First Order act in small stealthy secretive attacks, anywhere at anytime, that prove that the safety is an illusion, would be interesting. Basically acting out in the shadows once more, but aren't after power or control...they're simply after destruction. The NR is large, and the FO is small but deadly. This could cause a crisis within the NR, thrusting them into fear and worry. Scrambling to figure out what's going on or fight them. Realizing that the Empire, much like the dark side, hasn't gone away fully. That something needs to heal this strife, in ways that fighting can't. This would be a society that would need reassurance from Luke to have hope. To resist. And it would feel relevant and realistic within the galaxy story.

kalzeth, Shadao, Solo88 and 2 others like this.
  16. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    You guys sound like the moments before Ted Allen on CHOPPED says, "Have we made a decision?"

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Rating in Germany for best female action heroine. Speaking for itself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Milla Jovovic (and to an extent, Jennifer Lawrence) being rated that high in comparison to the other actresses and their respective roles on that list is hilarious but otherwise, it's good.

19. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Mad respect for this publication for putting Pam Grier on their list <3

3sm1r, -LordSkywalker- and nightangel like this.
  20. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    On the other hand, it can also go to hell for putting Meiko Kaji below Daisy Ridley.

21. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
  22. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Someone here knows what is it? A novel junior? Luke seems... weird

-LordSkywalker- and AhsokaSolo like this.
  23. Miriedis

Miriedis Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2015
    What a load of crap! Luke was my favorite male hero as a child because I could identify with him, as a girl. I loved seeing a male character not be a macho, angry, stoic, slightly sexist jerk. Luke had a lot of traits that female characters possessed in other movies--kindness, compassion, love for family, hell, even emotions, like crying! Luke doesn't conform to a macho action hero stereotype--he's not cold, or angry, or brawny, or brash. He can be stoic and wise, but he's still so full of kindness and love. That's his defining character trait! Normally, in sci-fi movies, women have to conform to masculine ideals in order to be "Cool" as well--such as in Alien and Terminator. Don't get me wrong--nothing is bad with tough action girls. But I liked seeing feminine traits applied to Luke, a man, while still being considered positive and inspiring--Luke's no weepy partner dragging the main hero down, or personality-less emotional support to inspire the main protagonist while they go gallivanting around the countryside on their adventures. He's the hero, and he's going to be open about his love for his sister and his friends, and be tender with sick, dying Yoda, and spend an entire movie trying to redeem his father through compassion and love! Hell yeah!

As a woman hungering for protagonists with positive, feminine traits typically associated with "useless" female supporting characters, I definitely identify with OT Luke. As a child, I never wanted to be a Ripley or a Sarah Connor. If I played action roles in games, I wanted to either be Batgirl or Luke. Now, in TLJ, I didn't identify with him for much more legitimate reasons. OT Luke had all my love. The ST Luke doesnt.

24. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    I really like this idea, but there's no chance it was ever gonna happen. This would be too much like the real world situation for the USA right now. A enemy who attacks out of nowhere and panics the citizens. Watching how the govt. decides to fight back when it's hard to locate them knowing the audience will be rooting for the NR. Hollywood today would never do anything that would correlate to painting the USA as the good guys in a war. Look at all the other movies that come out that just try to paint how bad the USA is.....

25. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    also, jw, what happened to the board, I go to work everyday at 2 and when I get off I have like 4 pages to read to catch up....they alter the board and now suddenly, there's like only 5 posts while I'm at work....what's up with that????

kalzeth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.