main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Would you watch a prequel sequel trilogy or anthology film with recast OT characters?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 20, 2017.

?

Would you want a trilogy or anthology film with recasted OT characters?

1. Yes a trilogy

11.5%
  2. Yes, an anthology film

41.0%
  3. No

47.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Powerful Lord

Powerful Lord Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2015
    At most would like a stand-alone story. They could make a sort of prequel trilogy to the sequel trilogy, but would rather each film was a stand-alone story.

Like a Luke centered spin-off where he goes have some more adventures related with the Jedi and the Force and an entire spin-off for the Knights of Ren. Don't know what the 3rd spin-off would be about to be honest. Could be anything. Maybe even a story that explores Snoke.

When did they say that?

2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    A while back. KK I think?

3. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I wouldn't want to see an anthology movie focused on the original trilogy characters with them recast, unless they are prequels, like Solo. I would be okay if they decide to make the live action streaming series about Luke Skywalker during the 30 year gap between ROTJ and TFA. Maybe cast Sebastian Stan as Luke, and then maybe you could even have the older Luke narrate it or frame it somehow?

4. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I've said before that the Solo recasting is pushing it, although I've come around to being a little more interested in the Solo film. But at least, as with Obi-Wan, once Alden turns into Harrison in ANH, he should stay Harrison or be off-screen. Having Alden turn into Harrison, then turn into some other dude, then turn back into Harrison 30 years later... if you're gonna do that, there was no point in bringing any of the OT actors back.

Unless you keep the main human characters out of it, onscreen material between the OT and ST really needs to be animated stuff, particularly since at least Mark and BDW would be fairly likely to lend their voice talents for some degree of verisimilitude. But even if they don't, I think that's the only way to go.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  5. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The fastest way to kill Star Wars is to keep going back to the OT period.

Enough already. Let's move on to new eras, new stories. We need a jump of at least 1000 years, forwards or backwards.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I mean.............................

I think I'd WATCH it, cos it contains the words Star and Wars in the title, but I would have a really hard time accepting seeing Ford, Fisher and Hamill in the OT, someone else after, and then Ford, Hamill and Fisher in the ST.

I do also agree, @Ricardo Funes, that if they simply stick to the OT for all their material, that particular piece of gum will eventually lose its flavor. Although with these new series coming up, I imagine we're about to break that mold finally!

Krueger and Ricardo Funes like this.
  7. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    I think this would get HUGE pushback, but I'm actually not entirely opposed to the idea. Of course, if it's set like between ANH and ESB (a ripe time period) or immediately post ROTJ it's going to be hard to explain why they look like Harrison Ford one year, and then Alden the next :p But I mean, X Men is coming out where all the prequel actors are playing their parts in the 90s, and then we're supposed to buy that James MacEvoy turns into Patrick Stewart in like 5 years so similar stretches of imagination have been accepted by the GA.

The problem they'd have is replicating the chemistry the original actors had, especially between Ford and Fisher.

8. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Returning the OT wouldn't kill the franchise. Boring and bad films would kill the franchise. They could make films in that time period for twenty years. There's dozens of characters to use and stories to tell that wouldn't even have to deal with the rebellion.

AndyLGR and 11-4D like this.
  9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    If we have this situation where the movies may be spread across time... series in the past, an OTish series, a post Sequel series... this feeling of spanning a grand history would be rather wonderful. No movie series has ever done that.

And here we are with the three ages of Han Solo.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    teamhansolo and DARTH_BELO like this.
  10. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    More Star Wars is a good thing, but I am in the (probably unpopular) camp of thinking that too many movies about the same OT characters in different time periods using different actors is going to lead to a jumbled mess of diminishing quality for the overall franchise.

teamhansolo and ChrisLyne like this.
  11. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I think SW should move on from OT iconography for awhile after the ST, but I wouldn't mind as long as there's an actual story. A movie about an everyday raid on an Imperial base can stay in the comics for all I care.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
  13. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    The Battlefront II Luke "arc" if you want to call it that was supremely satisfying. Some of the best written Star Wars since 1983, IMO. I'd love to see a Luke movie down the road.

Wind Rider likes this.
  14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'd gladly watch a Luke movie taking place between ROTJ and TFA, but only if Mark Hamill played Luke. Or if it was animated. I certainly don't want any of the Big Three recast (Solo is OK, since it's a Han who's younger than we've seen him before).

Jedimaster_Darklight likes this.
  15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Episode 7 (1988)
    The mythical sequel trilogy, if Lucas had decided to just keep on going.
    A more mature, but still young and active, Luke and the gang on further adventures.

I suppose that's what the EU novels provided, and what people wished for in the new movies. But of course could never happen.

An odd tug in two directions.
    Here's the Luke you always wanted, but he's not Mark.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think they'll do a Kenobi film after Episode IX. The fact Alden would have two more films in his contract makes me curious about what they'll do there.

17. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    I want to see new adventures with the OT 3 flying the Falcon and Luke flying his X-Wing against the Empire between ANH and TESB. Perhaps a movie based on Honor Among Theives but make it canon since it was the last original EU legends book. I liked that chase scene with Han,Leia and co. in the Falcon and Luke's X-wing and Rogue Squadron chasing TIE fighters among a gas giant with it's constellation of moons as described in the novel. Or about a movie based on the upcoming novel Last Shot where Han and Lando go on an adventure to recover and object that could threaten the galaxy.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I mulled over Alden's multi-film contract until I remembered they did the same with Felicity Jones. And, any sequel they have in store for Jyn Erso would be horrifying.

Jedi Merkurian and themoth like this.
  19. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    The multifilm contracts are just to give them options in the future, it doesn't mean they have plans to use them.

GregMcP likes this.
  20. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    How about a sequel trilogy of films with the OT3 having adventures between ROTJ & TFA where Han,Leia,Ben an Chewie have adventures in the Falcon across the galaxy against enemies that are not the Empire like the Mandaolrians or the Hutts?
    Or Luke and R2-D2 have adventures in his X-Wing against enemies in the Unknown Regions or some Force users hiding there or discovering the moons and asteroids in the UR that were harnessing the dark side as was mentioned in AfterMath?

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Rogue Break!

[​IMG]

teamhansolo and GregMcP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.