main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    what does your heart tell you?

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Tell it to Kanjiklub.

3. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Just to keep things on track: Qi'ra is Snoke

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The same as Saw Gerrera's.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If you live long enough, you see different eyes on the same people.

[​IMG]

...wait that's not the line.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Looks like they're going heist flick / Oceans 11 / Fast and Furious vibe for this one, which I am very happy with

So "got kicked out of flight school" could still mean CorSec or something but it would probably only complicate matters so, yah, Han is once again a young lad who signed up for the Imperial flight academy. Not that the bit in the Superbowl ad is when he first signs up, it could be him running a scam.

I guess the different design of the YT-fighter (without the hole in the middle) means that the YT's seen in Revenge of the Sith isn't The Falcon since it looks different. I do like the McQuire design, though. Same with Chewie with the two bandoleers which was in some of the original Star Wars pre-production art.

The few shots and lines by Woody were really great cuz I like to see him do anything. I thought Vuffi-Raa when I first saw Lando's droid and still thinking about that. The simultaneous hand wave was awesome! Alden Ehrenreich sorta looks and sounds enough like Han, if only because I was sold by the "kicked out of flight school for having a mind of my own" and the "We're fine. We're fine!" line.

Now it could be the gal knows who Han "really is" because she's running speeder chases with him earlier on and he's trying to pass himself off as someone else but my brain did ting towards Han being royalty (I think?) that they had in the EU.

With the winter shots hopefully this movie continues the true saga of Star Wars wherein Han Solo is being angry in the cold.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The 45 second teaser has him talking to an Imperial recruiter. My guess is the movie starts with this, montage, he gets kicked out, and then the adventure begins.
    I wouldn't count on it. Those have always been cargo mandibles - my assumption is we're just looking at a cargo compartment installed between them that will get jettisoned or otherwise removed at some point before the end of the movie.
    [face_laugh]

Also: I've been trying to figure out what the ship Han's escaping from the explosion in reminds me of, and it turns out it's the Ebon Hawk.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Kylun and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Funny enough, it also confirms Finn's role of comedic relief. When you think about it, Finn is also the one with F.O. info like C-3PO was full of info. Finn's was a bit more helpful though.

Other than making Han irredeemable or ignoring every single one of his personality quirks, Han in Solo can be relatively wide open for me. He can go from cynical to starting to come around to helpful or even start idealistic and head toward being a cynic. Both actually work (as well as many other options).

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Han is never as cynical as he pretends in any of the films so definitely that is going to continue here. Guy does have a heart of gold but I'm guessing this job doesn't really go all to well for him.

10. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    A good board posting for another time [face_thinking]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I remember watching the last episode of Broadwalk Empire and the Younger Steve Buscemi actor/character managed to copy him perfectly in the walk and look etc. Ewan also did a good job with Alec Guiness and Obi-wan.
    I think the issue with Han is that he’s in his early to mid 30’s in ANH. He’s just to young an age for them to change actors with, as opposed to the other characters. That and the fact you don’t need his backstory explained.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett and kalzeth like this.
  12. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    The comics vs. the movie, pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

13. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    So when are we going to get some publishing news?

Giovs likes this.
  14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/09/ron-howard-solo-a-star-wars-story/

Summer, 2017:

“He came by to visit the first day that I picked up shooting. George and his wife, Melody, came by to pay a little set visit. It made me feel great,” Howard says.

Lucas, the father of Star Wars who handed it off to another generation to become the grandfather of Star Wars, even gave him some advice that sounds straight out of the Obi-Wan playbook.

“He told me just trust my instincts, you know?” Howard says with a laugh. “I know he kind of fundamentally feels like, first and foremost, [these films are] sort of for 12-year-old boys, and yet even he knows that it’s grown so far beyond that, and the fans have grown with the series in a great, important way. So he didn’t offer a lot of advice except, ‘You’ll get this.’”

That brief set visit became a longer one. And a longer one.

“He had intended to just kind of stop by and say hi, and he stayed five hours,” Kennedy says. “There’s even one little moment in a scene that — I can’t tell you what, sorry — but in the scene on the Millennium Falcon where George said, ‘Why doesn’t Han just do this.’”

In other words, George Lucas helped direct a small part of Solo.

“It actually is a funny little bit that will probably get a laugh,” Kennedy says. “And Ron happened to be by the monitor and not inside the Falcon and he goes, ‘Oh that’s a great idea,’ and ran in and said, ‘George wants us to do this.’ So that was pretty cool. I think George felt pretty great about that. He could revisit these characters, and I think he felt so comfortable, obviously with Ron being there, that it was just fun for him.

Lucas’ final wisdom for his old American Graffiti actor: “just enjoy this.”

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ugh. We were always so mean to George Lucas, but that's a really nice story.

16. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    It turns out that George Lucas has been a really nice dude this entire time.

17. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    He's aged pretty well, all things considered

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Y'know these are so tiny it could still be the Falcon with the container in the middle.

[​IMG]

Unless Lando says "I just bought this yesterday!" then it goes RIGHT OUT.

Gamiel and Giovs like this.
  19. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  20. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    if you're blind, sure

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  22. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    If we get Gallandro I might actually see this movie in theaters.

Barriss_Coffee and kalzeth like this.
  23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Isn't that Paul Bettany's character?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  24. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    We'll find out that Han has an extended melee battle scene on the Falcon with the staff wielding villain. George says, why doesn't Han just shoot him first?, correcting a 20 year old ANH special edition issue and making a Raiders of the Lost Ark homage all in 1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Barriss_Coffee and kalzeth like this.
  25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Staff wielding, you say?