main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Adopting a plot bunny makes you watch the ending of AOTC for the first time since it was at the cinema.

Mistress_Renata and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you're preparing a very expected photo and a very expected photo manipulation in response to somebody's fic-gift to you. ;)

Findswoman likes this.
  3. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when the solution to a plot element and how to present it is "put it in the undertones and hint at it." (Why is this? It's not important to the story, right when the story is. Not yet, that is. **evil laugh** And yes... it seems that I had roughly four hundred, or it seemed that way, questions to answer before I could actually proceed... not that this is a bad thing. It took thirty-some-odd chapters for that to happen... )

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...that ONE.SPECIAL. comment you've been waiting for since November is finally there. NOW YOU CAN BREATHE. @};-[face_love]

5. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when your answer on where to start is... right where you left off. (Okay, that was probably a given. Back to the hallway with the snarky sci-fi novel it is...)

...when you realize that the introduction of said snarky sci-fi novel opens the door for snarky Fishing Novel instead. (And that, there, is the funniest thing I've done, or am going to do, to Steve Rogers...)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you're sort of despo, because you so, so, so, so want this one special person to like *your* OTPs, too. [face_blush]

7. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    So I was researching 1930s knit dresses on etsy (since I have a character in a work in development who I see as dressing in 1930s-1940s styles) when I came upon a dress in that style, but from the late 1970s, exactly like one I own. Well, almost exactly--it had a different label for some reason. But it was otherwise the same, straight down to the single red button on the back keyhole opening. Not only that, I was wearing that exact same dress at the time.

All right: that doesn't have that much to do with being a fanfiction writer, or any sort of writer.

But there isn't a thread entitled "You Know You're a Clotheshorse When..."

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you get an idea for two one-shots solely from the questions people asked in response to your epic. :)

Thorn058 likes this.
  9. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when you can't (no matter how many times you tried it) let your OC treat someone as if they're both fictional and an errant teenager and an idiot all at once because said OC is a sixty-something year old who has a filter and wouldn't still be angry about a movie twenty-five to thirty-some-odd years after the fact. (I tried. Failed miserably, but I still tried...)

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...your longest fics were 76 599, 61 803 and 41 318 words long...

...but your current epic is already at 94K. And the first part hasn't even been completed yet. YIKES.

11. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    When you have a idea spinning out of control in your head so you spend all week 3 hours a night looking for the right type of freighter to use in your story meanwhile the dialogue, the characters the plot just roles on in your head begging to be written.

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    There are a couple of threads here that you can just ask us for freighter recommendations.

YNYAAFFW when you are visually comparing real life cruise liners with a movie one, so that your fic characters can draw on the dimensions to put a force field around it.
    Into the bargain, you learn what beam and draught / draft mean, in boat sizing context.

13. Thorn058

Jul 28, 2008
    Thanks in all honesty I got caught in a wookiepedia trap and just kept going. I know what I wanted, I wanted the Falcon but not the Falcon so I was looking at CEC variants and spiraling off into different research. So it was fun

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @Thorn058 - The game where I was using this, ended too soon after, but I am quite partial to this little fella:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    DaenaBenjen42 and Thorn058 like this.
  15. Thorn058

Jul 28, 2008
    Oh that's nice. I was thinking about the YV-545 but this looks a bit more streamlined but boxy as well

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  16. Thorn058

Jul 28, 2008
    Oh that's nice. I was thinking about the YV-545 but this looks a bit more streamlined but boxy as well

17. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when, in the process of writing your update by hand, you actually have to call your mother and tell her that another ink pen was sacrificed to the plot bunnies. (True... and I lost count when it hit double digits...)

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you absolutely and totally have found a way to use the phrase "granny panties" in your fic. :D

DaenaBenjen42 and Findswoman like this.
  19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Snap.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    No worries, it won't reference the whole thing and how it went. I just wanted it in a story. :)

I threw all of mine, btw. They were left over from when I wore the size 44. :( I miss them. :( Not fair. :( EVIL LIFE.

Findswoman likes this.
  21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing granny panties. They're comfortable.

Maybe I said too much. And why are we talking about underwear anyway?

You know you're a fanfic writer when you find yourself obsessively trolling Pinterest for stuff to put in your character's closet.

22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...Word gets stuck somehow and you suddenly have the chapter #3 331 114. [face_rofl]

Kahara likes this.
  23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    ...you've watched a TV show for several season and never really felt the pull to write fic. Then one episode just blows you away with it's amazingness and your muse refuses to shut up until you write something... and then doesn't even write what you originally set out to write.

24. Thorn058

Jul 28, 2008
    Mav I totally used the Toby "there is no one" meme yesterday because of my day at work lol

Kahara, Findswoman and mavjade like this.
  25. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    ...when you feel crummy about the fact your story requires you to basically ruin what would otherwise be a very beautiful and uplifting experience for one of your characters =((—but then you immediately start thinking up ways of allowing that character to have that same experience again at some later point. @};-