main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Surprising Facts/Stats About Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Palpadious, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    What are some surprising or strange facts about the saga up to this point? Not in terms of behind the scenes so much, but in-universe. Here's a few to get started:

- The Phantom Menace is the only film in the whole saga not to discuss or feature the first Death Star, despite it only playing a role in two movies and only being operational for around one week at most in the story.

- C-3P0 has appeared in six films together with Yoda and five with Palpatine, but has never shared a scene with either of them - however Artoo has met both characters on numerous occasions.

- Rogue One is the first and only Star Wars film to feature neither Yoda nor Chewie - although only four films feature both of them and only one film has the characters meet.

- The phrase "Emperor Palpatine" is never spoken in the saga. Similarly, the first names Mace and Bail are never given onscreen, and Wicket, Mon Mothma and DJ are never given any name at all.

Any others?

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    -Ewoks as a word is never said in Return of the Jedi

-George Lucas did not originally plan on directing Episodes 1-3. He asked Ron Howard, Steven Spielberg, and Robert Zemeckis to Direct, but they all turned him down

temiri likes this.
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Tarkin is never referred to as either Moff or Grand Moff in ANH, being simply called Governor the whole time. Neither is Jerjerrod referred to as Moff, in ROTJ, nor Tarkin again in Rogue One.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  4. Darth Palpadious

May 31, 2013
    That's a good one. Are Tusken Raiders ever referred to as such on screen? Can't think of it ever happening.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think Cliegg uses 'Tuskens' rather than "Sand People" in AOTC.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The original screenplay of A New Hope was very long at 200 pages where they are normally 95-125 pages long.

7. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Both in TPM and AOTC.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    When in TPM?

9. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    By Fode and Beed at the Mos Espa Arena I believe

oierem likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Ah, I remember it now.

11. Darth Palpadious

May 31, 2013
    Ah yes, I remember now, thanks.

Another one - I'm pretty sure that The Force Awakens is the first time Leia is given a surname in dialogue.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    George Lucas at one point thought of using a Japanese cast only.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  13. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    Was it going to turn into an anime or kurosawa film? (the latter of which he was heavily inspired by)

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It would still be live action obviously so definitely due to Kurosawa.

15. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    As I understand it, I've heard that, at one point, Toshiro Mifune was considered for Ben Kenobi. Can anyone confirm this?

Lulu Mars likes this.
  16. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Here's another one: The first four "Star Wars" movies produced (the OT and TPM) all featured actors who'd appeared on "Doctor Who". That wouldn't happen again until TFA.

17. Darth Palpadious

May 31, 2013
    That's pretty interesting. Although, both AOTC and ROTS contain actors who would go on to appear in Doctor Who - Ayesha Dharker (Queen Jamilla) and Silas Carson (Nute/Ki-Adi) spring to mind, but none who had already been in Doctor Who.

And of course Rogue One is the first one to feature a lead actor who'd appeared in Doctor Who.

18. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yep: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/toshiro-mifune-turned-down-star-845721

He turned down the roles of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader (!) out of worry that Star Wars would cheapen the image of Samurai.

"At the time, sci-fi movies still looked quite cheap as the effects were not advanced and he had a lot of samurai pride. So then, there was talk about him taking the Darth Vader role as his face would be covered, but in the end he turned that down too," recalled [his daughter Mika].

19. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    A good one I read on Twitter the other day - the first time that Boba Fett's name is mentioned on screen isn't even in Star Wars at all - but in E.T.

20. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    It was mentioned in the "Holiday Special", but we're trying to forget that one.

21. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Peter Crushing was the Doctor long before Star Wars.

David Prose was in Doctor Who as the Minotaur. Also Julian Glover and Michael Sheard - Veers and Ozzel respectively.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Benicio Del Toro was going to play Darth Maul, but when most of Maul's lines were cut from the script he said pass.

23. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Julian Glover was in two "Doctor Who" serials ("The Crusade" with William Hartnell, and "City of Death" with Tom Baker), while Michael Sheard was in six serials (which I believe is a record).

Meanwhile, TPM featured BRIAN BLESSED, who appeared in the "Mindwarp" segment of "Trial of a Time Lord", as Boss Nass.

24. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I don't, just because the animated film was inserted into that thing, doesn't imply it's equally bad. On the contrary, for an animated film of that period, it's rather good, but see and judge for yourself:

My only gripe with the film is that Chewie apparently doesn't mind at all that Boba Fett (already here) is wearing Wookiee scalps.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Dagobahsystem likes this.
  25. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    You have a point, but it's still difficult for me.