main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    That looks nothing like Han :(

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    You must be new here. We’ve known what Alden’s face looks like for well over a year so it shouldn’t exactly be a surprise. What we need to hope for is that his mannerisms, movements and motivations help us see past the obvious and recognize him as simply a young Han.

Daneira, Ulicus , BobaMatt and 4 others like this.
  3. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I'm not sure what would be enough to satisfy the folks who feel Alden doesn't already closely enough resemble Ford's Han. [face_dunno] Facial prosthetics? (No thanks.) I think the costuming and hair certainly look like something young Han would wear. And anyway, in agreement with @AndrewPascoe, that's not what's important to me in the portrayal of the character.

tatooinesandworm and Iron_lord like this.
  4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I saw the trailer and him speak .. that’s not Han or even a young Han (whose only early/mid 30’s) in Jmo

Jedi Knight Fett and Claire1976 like this.
  5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I hate to break this to you but it's a totally different actor.

EDIT: I see now that this entire page of the thread is addressing this very thing but I'm leaving my comment.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    See, this is the problem with a lot of people. Really, just let go and watch it as a standalone film with an open mind. Yeah, he doesn't look and sound like Harrison Ford, because he's not Harrison Ford. It’s the character of Han Solo. I really feel sorry for Alden. Because, even if he gives a powerhouse performance and makes the role his own, it doesn't matter. You'll still get people echoing the above post. It’s a shame.

Revanfan1, starfish, Daneira and 12 others like this.
  7. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I get that. I’m an optimist though and think we still have 118 minutes for Alden to convince us if he hasn’t already!

8. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    The problem is, a lot of people have voiced concern over his acting ability in general. It will probably be an ok film, but I'm betting this miscasting is what has the suits so worried, and why Solo has gotten such little press.

9. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Who are these people who have voiced concern? I've seen people on these boards voice concern but since his breakout in Hail Caesar! I've rarely heard anything but praise and excitement about his career.

10. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    A lot of people have taken that concern from some unreliable sources about Alden using an acting coach (which just means that people don't understand what an acting coach is for), and aside from that he's delivered fine performances in Hail, Caesar! and other films. Solo got comparatively little press because Lucasfilm was focusing on TLJ; right now it's getting just as much press as any of the other Disney-era films, including multiple daily EW articles.

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    This.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would not want to be the actor whose only option for dispelling the comments of “He’s not Harrison Ford” is to literally become Harrison Ford.

If I go to the movie and find out that he doesn’t have Han’s lines, Han’s cynical nature or Han’s sense of humor, I’m going to be annoyed. Otherwise I’m not too concerned.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    "We're fine. We're fine!"

Revanfan1, AusStig, Daneira and 2 others like this.
  14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    That sold me. Also really impressed by Glover's use of the Lando salute.

15. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    I really hope you got it out of your system because I’d love to never hear this garbage from Star Wars fans again.

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Jamie Dornan has been ripped for his 50 shades of grey performance yet if you watch him in the BBC drama The Fall you can see he knows how to act. It’s just the role that counts.

TBH if you took the Starwars label off it looks like a fun if forgettable sci-if movie . Iv got nothing against Alden personally I just think they shouldn’t have made his character Han Solo. It would’ve made a difference

17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Fair enough I accept this.

18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Not seeing the appeal of "Jeff: A Star Wars Story"

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Daneira likes this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I can see where @fett 4 is coming from because over the years there have been quite a few excellent Han impersonators on Youtube (both fanfilms and as joke impersonations) and some of those guys look exactly like a younger Harrison. Alden doesn't look or sound (from what I can tell) quite as dead-on as some of those others. But unless he's absolutely horrid and does things completely out of character for Han, I'm ok riding with it. It's like a comic book where the art is a little iffy, but if the writing is great you can easily forget Han looks like a chipmunk.*

I think so, yes. I want to know what I would be thinking right now in an alternate universe where they announced Paul Bettany is playing Gallandro. Right now it's "Paul Bettany is playing a villain who looks like Gallandro, named Vos." I think I'm going to end up frowning at the screen in confusion every time he shows up. Worse will be if he acts anything like Gallandro. Which he probably will. As they shout "Vos!" at him.

EDIT: *I just realized this sounds like I'm saying Alden looks like a chipmunk -- I was referring to that chipmunk artist. :oops:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Alden having a different face and being half a foot shorter doesn't matter so much -- as we've all pointed out, he's a different person -- but if his performance doesn't ultimately evoke Harrison's, then he was probably the wrong guy.

It doesn't have to be seamless or some straight impression -- this is a different period in the character's life, after all -- but it has to be there.

We shouldn't kid ourselves that SW characters work the same as James Bond. They don't. If they did, McGregor could have used his natural accent as Obi-Wan and no-one would have batted an eyelash. Or the guy playing Han in this movie could have been blond or ginger.

For better or worse, they're viewed in very much the same way as historical figures. No-one wants to watch a guy playing Winston Churchill "make the role his own". They want to watch someone do a good job of portraying Churchill. Same deal here.

(That being said, even if Alden's Han is wildly divergent I expect I'll still enjoy this movie as a fun space adventure so I'm not that bothered)

Revanfan1, AusStig, kalzeth and 6 others like this.
  21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    So far Alden's performance doesn't inspire confidence, but its only a trailer. I know its a younger version of Han so there's room for different versions (less smart, less cynical, etc.) so I'll see the movie and decide.

Its not like recasting younger versions of characters is a new thing. McGregor did an excellent job of course, though there's also cases like Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones in that last MIB movie. I don't mind the nuTrek characters, Pine does fine as young Kirk and I like Karl Urban's McCoy (but then Urban does great in everything).

It doesn't help that Glover as young Lando already looks awesome by comparison. Or that we've had young Harrison Fords before (River Phoenix as young Indy for example). Personally if they were going for young Han, I'd prefer something like Nathan Fillion from Firefly as the cocky fringe type (although a lot of that is Fillion's personal charm of course), but we'll see how the movie turns out. I'm keeping a bit of an open mind at least.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If LFL had access to a time machine, 20-year old Nathan Fillion would have been a great choice. But they don't.

23. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    The difference is that Jamie Dornan has been ripped for his performance by people who have seen and judged that performance in a completed film, whereas Ehrenreich is being ripped for a performance no one's seen in a movie months from release because he's not Harrison Ford.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  24. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I do think there is legitimacy to the Alden is not a good Han claim.

I think back to Ewan as Obi and River Phoenix as Indy, and those just...worked from the get go. Before we saw the performances even.

My first thought about Alden was... he's not a good Han Solo...not that he's not Harrison. I still think that. Where's Glover as Lando works already.

That being said, I think Alden will do fine, and I'll most likely enjoy the movie...even if Alden isn't as Han as I would like.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Better casting.

Claire1976 likes this.