main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST Complimentary Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    - First lesson: simple and funny
    - When Rey wakes up and Luke is standing above her - similar to the last confronation between Luke and Ben
    - "Maybe"
    - When Kylo tries to defend himself before Snoke; all scenes with Snoke are one of the best scenes in Saga
    - When BB-8 saved Rose and Finn
    - Paige scene is amazing
    - First Force Skype scene, everything is just perfect: editing, sound, writing, acting
    - Everything with Luke and Kylo on Crait, when "The Spark" and "The Last Jedi" plays
    - When you think Luke came to fight Ben with all these Jedi-Matrix moves and this is just... an illusion
    - Rey's training with lightsaber, amazing shots
    - When Kylo becomes the Supreme Leader, all aroung him looks like pure hell in contrast to how bright and warm a room was with Rey there
    - Luke is thinking about killing his student in his sleep VS Palpatine is killing his master in his sleep --> and Luke's student is killing his master and taking Palpatine's role
    - Rather not complimentary close-ups of faces, minimum make up and a lot visible sweating. Makes characters real, flawed. I like it.

2. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    The aesthetic of Snoke's throne room after the curtains burned down. Those massive windows with the rest of the Supremacy shown outside, and later with all debris of the ship. Very scifi, very awesome.

3. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    When Leia said "I know you are. I'm just glad you came", it affected me deeply. Leia bears no grudges. As for me, that's a "power" greater than even the Force.

MJ

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    That whole scene is emotion overload and John Williams captured it perfectly.

5. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    ForceSkype (all sessions) - stunning, symbolic, sexy, unlike anything in SW movies ever, the last session makes you wonder what happens next, will Skyping continue, fantastic performances. Special shout to sliding Kylo:
    [​IMG]
    the original isn't legal yet hence fan art version

Throne Room - everything from Rey's Snow White in the glass coffin arrival to confrontation with Snoke to the iconic tag team fight to Pride&Prejudice proposal to saber breaking in half cause neither Rey nor Kylo was right - just total perfection. Too bad that the movie peaked right there and there was still 30 min to go.
    Rey reaching out - now that's a comedy that worked
    Rey's badly rehearsed sales pitch to Luke - I love that scene so much and Daisy was terrific. It's very hard to intentionally act badly and she nailed reading from the phone book type of a monotonous speech. I just want to bring more awareness to how good she is in that scene.
    Rashomon flashbacks
    Luke and Yoda - lots of great quotes
    Luke and Kylo stand off - gorgeous cinematography, very Kurosawa, fantastic performances (Hamill and Driver need more scenes together), deep on so many levels
    Hux's quotes - from "I can hear you, can you hear me?" to "Do you think you got him?" Hux was saving some dodgy comedy
    Romantic quotes: "Just you" "You are not alone"/"Neither are you" "You are nothing, but not to me. Join me. Please."
    Useful quotes in real life: "Blow this piece of junk out of the sky!" "Page turners they were not" "greatest teacher failure is"
    Luke reunites with R2
    Holdo's ship collides with the Supremacy
    Snoke's ham:'I cannot be beaten, I cannot be betrayed" [face_rofl]
    Snoke and Kylo
    Performances by Driver, Ridley and Hamill. Phenomenal.

6. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    (Rey was right)

DL44Jo likes this.
  7. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    That’s such a beautiful thought. She knows Luke so well to know that no matter what happened... it wasn’t him... it doesn’t define him... and he regrets it
    It’s remarkable how much sexual tension they build up from a couple young people who’ve both been incredibly stressed out, who now know each other as well as any other young characters they’ve met that we know in the saga due to what they’ve been through with the mind probes and mind bridges and discussions about who they are and what they want.

When Kylo Ren takes that glove off and there’s that fire glow on Daisy’s face... and Johnson cuts to that overhead shot of their hands coming together with the orange warmth of the fire it almost reminds me of some of the close up shots of the hands holding the ring in LOTR. When they go skin on skin for that long moment staring into each other’s eyes and see that mix of excitement and relief it’s shockingly intimate for Star Wars. I was 100% captivated by it and their dynamic is a huge part of what makes IX so intriguing. Especially since she clearly picked up the part of the saber that would have moved toward him when it broke and clearly doesn’t want to kill him.

I also agree that Leia is so wise and cool and knows Luke and what they’ve both been through so much that she doesn’t even want to know what happened. In her mind it doesn’t matter how it went down. She believes Snoke twisted Ben’s heart first and that’s probably why she sent him to Luke in the first place. A mom knows. She had seen darkness in him at a younger age and thought Luke could help. But the problem with the Skywalkers is that they didn’t believe failure was the best teacher before. They had blocked out the Vader part of their family history from Ben and the world instead of owning it and using it as a teaching tool. And that decision backfired.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  8. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Beautifully said! =D=^:)^

SW is now PG-13 so dealing with intimacy/sexuality is going to be the part of these movies going forward though no one should fear a graphic content. TLJ has done an excellent job here, turning subtext from TFA into text that resonates deeply. It flies over kids heads but adults understand. So perfect balance.

I'm glad that you mentioned the ring in LOTR cause both the hand holding and ring holding are variations of the apple holding. Metaphor for temptation and forbidden. I'm a sucker for symbolism, metaphors, archetypes so no wonder Rey and Kylo scenes are my favorite in both movies since they are loaded with it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And yes, the broken saber that Rey holds onto at the end of the movie is extremely important for the reasons you mentioned.

ReyRandom likes this.
  9. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    Yes! Great moment, love it.

DL44Jo and Ricardo Funes like this.
  10. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    IX will have a golden chance to take advantage of the connection between Rey and Kylo. I want to see them talking more and fighting less on IX, as both of them now have seen the souls of each other, and have a level of intimate knowledge that even Vader did not have with Luke.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Doom_Buggy, ReyRandom and Lost_Hope like this.
  11. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    =D=^:)^

Exactly. Especially since Rebels vs FO is going to be the action part of the movie. Sure, we'll get a lightsaber duel and likely another tag team too, but in between that, their connection is the heart of the trilogy so there will be character-driven scenes between the two. Gorgeously shot as usual.

I'm hoping that they'll continue to take the Force connection to the next level. ForceSkype and TFA's light of sabers merging blue and red into purple, showing the flow of dark, light and balance through these characters, were phenomenal ways to show that the Force isn't just "lifting rocks". It's intimate knowledge and soul-mating too. So fingers crossed we get more of that instead of just standard fights.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  12. Lost_Hope

Jan 15, 2018
    I was thinking about Letter Never Sent influence on TLJ. Besides some close ups, I think this shot is similar to the shot when Resistance leaves Holdo alone on the ship.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Snoke's throne room was the best scene. It's pretty much impossible to have a bad light saber fight.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  14. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Vader vs Obi Wan in ANH was poor, to be honest. Anakin vs Dooku in AOTC, using lightsabers as if they were in a trance party was also ... how can I say it ... "different". :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  15. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005

16. sheri1967

sheri1967 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2006
    I loved Snoke’s dialogue. It was very well written.

17. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Agreed. Some of my favourite lines in the film, and Andy's delivery was fantastic. Alternately dripping with venom and conceit.

I think my two favourites are "Take that ridiculous thing off!" and "And still that fiery spit of hope! You have the spirit of a true Jedi!....And because of that, you must die."

KamNale, Ody_Mandrell, Satipo and 5 others like this.
  18. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Snoke:

The mighty Kylo Ren When *I found you...ah...I saw what all Masters live to see..RAW untamed POWER and beyond that something truly SPECIAL

Now I fear I was mistaken”

“Son of Darkness” (Only one sided)
    --------------------------------------------------

Luke : “What’s so SPECIAL about you?”

Luke: “I’ve seen this RAW STRENGTH only once before...in Ben Solo..it didn’t scare me then. It does now!”

Powerful Light Powerful Darkness” (Two sides)

“I saw DARKNESS

Just love the way Rian Johnson has devised and “deviced” the middle chapter of the Third and final Trilogy. In particular the Snoke (Sith) vs Luke (Jedi) thought processes as time went by yet not completely too different from the Sith/Jedi motivations.

And, and....

Did anyone notice that Snoke says "I thought you'd be the one...to snuff it out" he seems to struggle to sit back down on his seat;compare that with Luke struggling to sit down at the Jedi pool when he says "the legacy of the Jedi is failure". Both disappointed that their hopes for the Sith getting rid of the Jedi and the Jedi getting rid of the Sith respectively...FAILED.

MJ

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  19. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Agree about those lines. I wish some of his other lines were a little less on the nose in their echoing of Palps, but otherwise I thought he was used well, and Serkis was predictably excellent.

TK327, Mungo Baobab and sheri1967 like this.
  20. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Some great aspects pointed out in these.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Lost_Hope likes this.
  21. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
  22. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I think it’s really cool that there are these Dharma initiave style old bases and setups like Crait still out there in pockets of the universe with rotting food portions and dusty old gear and discontinued ships that probably never should have been purchased in the first place.

The ST is criticized for its lack of world building by some but little touches like that and the ship graveyard on Jakku give a terrific post apocalyptic feel to this world Post-War while paying homage to the past in non fan service-y ways. Almost like re-entering some of the old strongholds in LOTR.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  23. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    So much to love about the movie -- but I stick with the quiet or little scenes

-- Leia in her cabin/suite sitting pensively and worrying about the resistance
    -- Poe getting slapped
    -- Poe's bombing of the dreadnought -- there's a closeup shot of his eyes kind of staring intently before he takes a shot
    --Luke and Leia's reunion
    -- Leia's "what're you looking at me for?"
    -- holdo's Godspeed rebels
    -- the first order gunner preparing to fire and then the shot of Leia on the raddus -- from the beginning
    --maz saying "oh yes he is" after threepio says the code breaker is good at everything
    --"we've caught them in the middle of their evacuation"
    -- Rey being dragged to snoke -- and you see him on his throne slouching to the side
    -- porg and porglings on the falcon
    -- Phasma's stance and mini blaster when turning to fire on rose
    -- canto bight -- glasses clink and yacht taking off
    -- threepio telling r2 such a friend

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Ridley Solo likes this.
  24. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I love how smug, proud and happy that FO officer is when he says the section in bold.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    When Finn is showing off the hologram of their plan to sneak onto the Supremacy and have the fleet take off, in the holo when the fleet escapes there's a cartoon-y "Zoom!" noise. Really funny.

Satipo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.