main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Blu-Ray/DVD (US dates: March 13th Digital and March 27th Blu-Ray/DVD)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Rent a bigger flat

Bowen and nightangel like this.
  2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Some things you might want to take into consideration:
    1. For UHD Blu-ray playback your 4K UHD TV has to be HDCP 2.2 compliant (older 4K flat screens are not compatible) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection
    2. I have a home theater and a projection screen that's 9' wide. On smaller flat screens Full HD (Blu-ray) is really sufficient, according to my experience (and some friends who work in the business) 4K UHD resolution won't give you a noticable benefit in terms of image resolution unless you exceed 80" Screen size
    3. UHD doesn't feature 3D program content (you need the 3D Blu-ray for that), a lot of VFX on UHDs is still Full HD only.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    thanks for your suggestion. At the moment I have to stay with my 4k tv, because it is quite new. It is not 3d, only my player is 3d. [face_sigh]Maybe I buy a 4k player, so that tv and player fit together.

That's not so easy in Frankfurt region right now to find any flat at all. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  4. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    does anyone know the date the Blu-ray comes out in the US ? I just went a page back and found out it comes out March 27, my bad.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  5. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    While the March 27 date is not yet official, as of right now, it is the tentative street date for the release of Star Wars: The Last Jedi on Blu-ray, DVD and 4K Ultra HD.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  6. Pete Ren

Pete Ren Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    It would be nice to see those scenes included in the movie as Directors Cut so we could see the whole movie.

MODified to remove baiting/trolling.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2018
  7. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    Goodbye.

8. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    removed - bait/heels

9. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    removed - bait/heels

10. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    Yep, cover IS nice.

11. intravenusdemilo

intravenusdemilo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    I really want to make my question it's own thread to gain attention and spark a good conversation, alas, I must admit it probably belongs here.

I'm wondering, broadly...not necessarily related specifically to TLJ, if anyone thinks that film companies continue to work on/tweak/fine tune visual effects in preparation for Blu-ray/home viewing? Does any evidence for this practice exist?

I'm thinking...why wouldn't they continue to work on it in the MONTHS they have between theatrical release and the home video release? They could easily identify some FX that weren't ideal and with minimal effort and man power have them fine tuned. To me, there's some simple compositing/chromakey fixes that could be made, fine tune Yoda's appearance, tweak some of the canto bight horse riding. etc etc. Stuff like that.

Again, I'm wondering opinions on the topic and also if anyone can recall, with specific evidence, a time when something was changed/fixed from the theatrical release to the time of the home video release.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's been years... and my memory is not what it once was... but I believe this actually happened already, even just within Star Wars films. I have some semblance of a memory of effects being cleaned up for the home release of TPM. But, that could just as easily have been a random dream I had.

13. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    My favorite instance of additional production on a film after its release was when Peter Jackson picked up a few insert shots for the Extended Edition DVD of Return of the King, months after it won the Oscar for Best Picture.

14. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Changes were made to Star Wars again for the 2004 DVD release but I doubt they’ll do anything to TLJ. It was prime time ready for theaters easily so there wouldn’t be any reason to. I’ve seen it 28 times, can safely say there wasn’t anything to fix lol.

As for 4K versus 3D, I have both. I wouldn’t have bought my TV if it couldn’t do both and I was fortunate enough it was 2016 so it was still possible to find a TV that hadn’t suffered from TVs getting worse (shouldn’t technology be getting better?! Dropping 3D wouldn’t make anyone happy - either most people don’t care whether it has or doesn’t have it, or some people do care, ergo losing features is a step backwards). Now it’s still an issue of how I buy a movie in a few cases where 3D is offered and my usual answer is 3D blu-ray over 4K because it makes way more of a difference. 4K isn’t THAT obvious unless you were using a huge screen, so even at 75” I can tell the difference yes but not like it’s huge. In some cases I’ll buy both the 4K and 3D versions.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  15. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    They can change things, for example, TFA credits music was changed.

Maybe they change color information to match the TV range, instead of theater projectors.

The "chroma key" of Luke vs Kylo was an artistic choice to bring focus to the characters.

Also, our TVs will give us a better image than most theaters. Unless you watched TLJ in 70mm IMAX, your home will be better.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Darth Dnej and Ody_Mandrell like this.
  16. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Kind of sad but not wrong LOL. I set up my system to work optimally and while that should be expected of every single movie theater, it doesn’t usually work that way. The inability to adjust volume in a theater is a big problem :p I can’t even say how many times a 2D screen isn’t properly calibrated for sound. Probably 75% of the time I find something very wrong, usually a weak dialogue speaker so that sound and music are fine but dialogue is like regular talking at best. When I’m in a theater it should SOUND LIKE YELLING! That’s why I’m in a theater not watching at home with my GF asleep or something. It’s unbelievale that I have to say this. I bet it’s some old people who complaining the movie is too loud lol.

Ricardo Funes and yanote like this.
  17. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    That it was. I think it extended the film by 2 minutes.
    And yeah, little changes on the initial home video release are not unheard of.
    AOTC added sparks on Jango's jetpack, and a few other things. ROTS changed a wipe to a straight cut (restored to a wipe on the Blu-ray), and allegedly shortened Vader's "NNOOOOOO!!"
    I really wish Star Wars would just embrace extended cuts already. The third lesson scene was probably nearly complete, and it's probably a good scene.

18. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    My feeling about the 3rd lesson was that it was too "heavy handed"... I prefer leaving the final lesson for IX

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  19. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    You guys will love my idea to reignite the passion among all SW fans and conquer the divide. So I had this idea like a decade ago that someone should make a movie that’s planned as about 8-10 hours of footage, it’d be expensive but bear with me here, there’s a single cut version from the director as normal that’s 2 hours or whatever but the home video version is interactive and at various key moments, lots of them, you are given a choice how things proceed. We can call this choose your own adventure Star Wars :p

The movie pauses, asks:
    Rey’s parents are:
    A) Nobody (Theatrical Cut)
    B) Luke Skywalker and unknown
    C) Han Solo and Leia Organa
    D) Two randoms, back story coming in IX

Then everyone gets to see a different movie and everyone is like “wow I love TLJ especially how Rey is Luke’s long lost daughter! So cool.”

Other people are like “didn’t really like the whole Canto Bight sequence,” while someone else says, “Huh? What’s Canto Bight? Oh did you not veto Poe’s plan to send Rose and Finn there?” Lol

PS: In my James Cameron revolution of cinema future theaters will have installed a small controller where you choose A, B, C, or D and the movie you watch is a democracy based on audience decisions :p Then people like me who see the movies 30-40 times can walk out angry and annoyed, “My audience was full of a bunch of moof milkers. We spent the entire movie on Canto Bight and Luke and Rey finally had to go there to pull Finn and Rose out of jail because my idiot audience refused to follow DJ out of the cell! Grrr wasted viewing. Never got to see the real ending, it just ended with Luke freeing Finn and Rose while Rey discovered alcohol for the first time.”

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    TheFastJedi likes this.
  20. TheFastJedi

TheFastJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2017
    I understand your desire for a "Lesson 3" in episode 9 (perhaps from force ghost Luke), but hasn't it been announced that the third lesson will be one of the deleted scenes on the TLJ release?

Interesting idea! 8-10 hours of footage for one movie? James Cameron will work on one movie for 30 years....

Your idea is cool (future cinema), but would have some practical challenges, of course.
    1) People like the communal element of viewing the same movie their friend in Boise watched. If everyone is seeing slightly different films, it is much more difficult to have this shared experience with people nationwide.
    2) Directors like having "their" version seen by the masses. They would always like one of the story progressions the best, and they would dislike that many theaters would show an inferior version based on audience choices.
    3) For the above reasons, this would make critics reviews more challenging. Which version is each critic rating? Tough to gauge quality of each film if some versions of the same movie are better than others, perhaps significantly so.

In terms of home release, I think the types of ideas you have make some sense (the initial challenge is getting directors to even be willing to include an option for extended versions where all already included deleted scenes are inserted into the film). The thing is, this is people who watch these movies over and over. Adding ways to create more variety for each viewing, including your "choose your own adventure" idea, makes sense in that context (you can watch more times without it getting "repetitive"). Though, ultimately, directors don't seem to like this even at home. They want people watching what they believe is the best version. As long as people have the option to watch either the director's final version, or an extended version, I'm not sure what is being taken away from the audience that already saw the director's vision, however.

Although, your Canto Bight version of TLJ actually sounds kind of awesome..... :)

Bowen likes this.
  21. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Oh sure, but since in the movie Luke never had the chance for lesson 3, they could bring Force Ghost Luke in IX and tell Rey, "hey, about that 3rd lesson, now would be a good time for that" :)

I am not sure about if the canon will consider the 3rd lesson as presented in the deleted scenes of TLJ, or if they can make up something else for IX.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We'll all be shocked when we see that Lesson 3 was Luke was about to tell Rey that all of the preceding scenes were a test of her patience and he was about to go back with her before she got so impatient that she decided that a Dark Sider was a good Plan B and attacked him with a stick.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, he was just trying to emulate how Yoda messed with him after he arrived on Dagobah, but Rey ruined his plan. :p

24. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Haha yeah I’m not really serious about my idea for future cinema it just makes me laugh to think about it. How silly it would be if movies could change each viewing or depending on preference. But we have a really cool medium like that already - video games lol. Sometimes there are different endings and at least different decisions along the way that alter how you experience the story or what tools are available for each step of the way. There are finally video game stories that are gripping, epic, engaging, philosophically interesting (BioShock Infinite and Horizon Zero Dawn come to mind first).

I agree as a director though I want my vision to be seen on screen and I can understand why Lucas or any other director could have grown frustrated by people changing your movie. I’m practical about it in that I understand if I didn’t pay for the movie, I was hired, my producer has the right to make changes they feel have to be made. But like any director I’m never going to be less cocky than to believe my vision is the best vision and nobody else knows better than me what’s best for the film. It’s just reality of that kind of creative endeavor. Along the way a good director should seek advice, opinions, and help from creative people around him, of course. But you’re not going to take kindly to someone saying, “We don’t need these 5 minutes,” unless you come to the same conclusion yourself. I’ve certainly killed tons of dialogue and even entire scenes in my day but it was because I felt the film worked better without them. I’ve had a producer want to cut a supposedly “boring” scene and I had to remind him it’s the ONLY scene where we learn a few key plot points, and that it’s only boring because he’s seen it 20 times the last week lol. He finally was like, “Oh... yeah I guess we have to keep it.” I tried to comprise in agreeing to cut it down 20-30 seconds.

So why no official announcement yet for the street date for Blu-ray / home video? And will this be the same situation where it’s on iTunes 2 weeks early or is it 3 weeks early?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Ricardo Funes and TheFastJedi like this.
  25. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    That was done with that old film adaptation of the game Clue; different possible ending that were used as random.

Ricardo Funes and Bowen like this.