main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    He's not the first NFL star the Yankees have had. Roll the tape.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    For Giants and Barry Bonds, jersey retirement is evolution of complicated legacy

3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Those Yankees, always trying to compete with the Mets for back page headlines.

Amazing.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I heard about that, I thought somebody was joking!

Chromide likes this.
  5. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Lol the ironic thing is that Bo Jackson is the one who missed the diving catch, and apparently had a 3 homer game in that one.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  6. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    What I didn't realize until recently was, that play was Deion's revenge for that stiff arm back in college.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Chromide likes this.
  7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014

Cubs got Darvish

Edit: apparently has to win multiple Cy Young awards to get to $150 million so that's not happening.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Luke02 likes this.
  8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @cubman987

[​IMG]

God I hope there is an outpackage around year three.

Guess the rotation for the Cubs this year will be something like this:

1. Lester
    2. Darvish
    3. Quintana
    4. Hendricks
    5. Chatwood

I honestly was more excited for Chatwood then I am for Darvish. I think Tyler as some major upside and could have a Charlie Morton surprise year for them. And even if they think Darvish's WS issues were all due to tipping his pitches and 100% certain they can fix them, I am still not exicted about it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    the rich get richer

meanwhile, we're out here with cc sabathia's arm hanging by a tendon since 2014.

tough being a small market team

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm sure baseball fans everywhere feel just terrible for you poor Yankees fans.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Maybe we could stock up our rotation with ex NLers the way the Cubs stock up theirs with ex ALers.

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    My immediate reaction upon waking up to this Darvish-to-the-Cubs signing...

[​IMG] .

@cubman987

JEDI-RISING and cubman987 like this.
  13. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm pretty optimistic about it at the moment to be honest....Theo and Jed have earned my trust.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    If Darvish does for the Cubs in a possible World Series as what he was supposed to do for the Dodgers last season, then you can laugh at me for all eternity, but for now, I'm not upset at all that he's gone.

JEDI-RISING and heels1785 like this.
  15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    most pitchers get better with the dodgers, because of Dodger Stadium if nothing else. he showed no improvement. good luck with 5 years.

16. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014

In case anyone was wondering what Sammie Sosa is up to...

17. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Why even pay Darvish that much this late into the off season? Who were the Cubs bidding against other than themselves?
    As a Sox fan, I love Theo and I enjoy seeing him do well, but he just needs to stick with the formula of what he did to turn the franchise around in the first place, and that is rolling with the young guys and letting them develop.

18. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Well reports are Darvish turned down a similar contract offer from the Dodgers and the Brewers were said to have been in play. And buying and trading for pitching and developing position players is what the Cubs have been doing since Theo got there....

Luke02 likes this.
  19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Twins from my understanding were looking at a big deal for him too. I guess when you consider the fact Mike Leake got 5/75 last year, 6/120 for Darvish looks like a pretty decent bargain.

I am still not bullish on the deal but I think the Cubs are looking at the SP market the next few years and see it not being all that hot therefore getting a 5 time all star Darvish for decent markting value seem like a good bet. Plus they didnt have to give up anything to get him prospects/player wise and there is some good young arms in the Cubs farm just they won't be up for another couple years.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    That's not the only thing he did and you know it. As I mentioned before, Epstein and the Cubs seemingly picked up a strategy of building their team around ex AL starters and rolled the dice with them. It's obviously continuing with Darvish; who outside of his cup of coffee with LA last year was a Texas stalwart.

21. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Oh yeah for sure. I just mean the backbone of the team was built with the farm and development of young guys, so why not keep that up instead of spending? Just something I wouldn't personally do.

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Jayson Stark is joining The Athletic, which is quickly accumulating a more talented group of baseball journalists than any and all competitors.

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'd be more curious to see Joe Girardi in the MLB Network analysts' chair. I wonder if he's going to carry a grudge against the Yankees like Torre.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, The Athletic has been accumulating talented writers for all the major sports. I love Marcus Thompson's takes on things.

25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The app for The Athletic is fabulous as well.