main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    To me Rian is more interested in the characters than the setting. That’s not to say the setting is unimportant but it’s more of a backdrop instead of being at the forefront. TLJ‘s primary focus was its characters and their relationships.

It’s entirely possible that instead of a galactic conflict he goes in a much more personal scale similar to what Solo is looking like - just a band of characters fighting crime syndicates/Hutts etc. I could do with a smaller scale Star Wars film. You can still have your planet hopping adventures but it doesn’t need to be against the backdrop of a galactic conflict.

rorow1 and Palp_Faction like this.
  2. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Taking into account what Iger has said about W&B movies being set in a point of SW mythology, I would say RJ's trilogy will be set in the future.

3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    If Rians trilogy is not in some new era, instead set in a pre existing period, he should use the clone wars as a backdrop for exploring the unknown regions. Here is a pitch. Story revolves around some of the Republic military (and a Jedi or two) set on a mission Into the unknown regions, perhaps because of a CIS presence their. Through the story the clones and Jedi get stranded in the unknown places, losing contact with the Republic and state of the clone wars. While Rian would be reusing this era, he will be adding fresh paint to it. While it can open with clones vs droids, the story is about them getting involved in another conflict far away. In the process getting new visuals of never before seen civilizations they encounter. It continuing after order 66 could add more to the films. With the clones not receiving order 66 and the Jedi not realizing what happened either. Basically becoming a Republic remanent in the age of the Empire.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  4. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    I'm extremely curious about this new trilogy. The possibilities are literally endless. After all, if you want a new trilogy with a really blank slate, who's to say you couldn't make them take place "A long time ago, in another galaxy far, far away"?

We'll be getting SW movies yearly for the foreseeable future. Might as well dream big.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Any time from the start of the universe to the end of the universe. Trillions of years of stories.

EntechednReformatted likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Stay in the same galaxy I say Go as far into the future as you want or the past, but do not go into another galaxy.

Siphonophore likes this.
  7. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    A long time from now in another galaxy somewhere else....

SPACE WARS

Chapter XVI
    THE CREEPING FEAR

8. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I wasn't a fan of TLJ at all, but that could be down to my expectations for already established characters. I thought that aesthetically, there were some nice visuals, if the story felt a little bit "safer" than what I was expecting. With that in mind then, I haven't written Rian Johnson off because with a blank sheet of paper, he could quite possibly deliver something very good indeed. He just needs to remember that subverting expectation is fine, but if you go too far, you will alienate audiences.

Hypatia likes this.
  9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Far Wars

10. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I hope they always keep it within the same galaxy.

11. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Because then it stops being Star Wars, and becomes any other generic sci-fi space opera. The Galaxy Far, Far Away is the setting. Thats where these stories take place, and that's where they should always take place. Needing a new universe to tell your stories only shows that you have no creativity to work with the tools you have, or have a base desire to make something that isn't Star Wars in the first place.

12. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Part of me thinks that setting it in a different galaxy, (though still the same universe), could be cool but I'd want them to explain why it was set in a different galaxy. Specifically I'd like to hear that these films are about a group of frontiersmen that left the old galaxy behind in hopes of leaving behind all the troubles of the old galaxy. That however would not be a blank slate story so I don't expect them to do something like that.

13. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    What it needs to return to is a sense of whimsy. There are too many human and humanoid characters in this sequel trilogy and not enough alien weirdness. Jabba and his mates are weird, the Sarlacc is weird, the space slug is weird (even the characters thought so!) the Rancor is weird, the whole idea of putting somebody in a flash frozen block of carbonite is a bit weird, Dagobah is weird etc etc

All very whimsical in design and implementation.

The only scene I liked in TLJ was Luke milking that creature from its human quad-boob, then drinking it, the scene most other people hated. I liked it because it was really weird, and a return to that sense of “what the heck?” lol

Star Wars needs more of that grotesque and dream-like imagery.

14. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I agree. Weird is good.

It would be wild however if rian johnson's trilogy opened with a crawl -- Episode XXII

15. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    In the P.T. Shmi, a slave gave birth to The Chosen One. In the OT two of the heroes were the children of a monster. In the ST the Force chose the daughter of two drunks to become the counterweight to the evil in the galaxy. Is the hero in the RJ trilogy going to also have a sad and tragic family backstory too?

16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    ....and Jyn, and probably Han.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  17. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    Evolutionary designs and world-building.

The late Ralph McQuarrie shaped Star Wars into what it was and what it is today. I clearly think that we need more revolutionary designers like him for Star Wars to push the boundaries with the RJ trilogy and also the new B&W series. It's time to evolve and build on top of what has been achieved by the people of the past, to show our appreciation for the arts that inspired millions of us.

The original Star Wars might be a lightning in a bottle, but that doesn't mean that spark of lightning is going to leave us anytime soon. :)

Palp_Faction and Darth_Bertie like this.
  18. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Whether it be in Rians trilogy, or the films Benioff and Weiss make, I would like to see more of the background of the history of the lightsaber.

If some of the films are set in the far past, an ancient lightsaber design should be portrayed. Though they could just stick to the traditional single bladed lightsaber. After all that lightsaber design does go back to even the days of jedi vs sith.

Still I want to learn more about the ancient jedi crossguard. Was it merley a style of the time or were the vents on the side a necessity for newest lightsabers to work? In other words, were crossguards made alongside traditional single hilts or did it predate them?

I prefer the whole predating thing because it shows an evolution of the blade. I would even want to see pre-crossguard lightsabers.

The protosaber from Legends (or a saber similar, perhaps the hilt being the size of a double bladed saber) I wish came back into canon, in an era set before crossguards came to be.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Protosaber

Getting to see duels with those on screen would require the duelist to fight differently from their modern counterparts because a working cord/pack is required to keep using the blade.

It would be awesome if pre-lightsaber jedi weapons were also explored. Such as actual swords, though strengthened by the force. The films could give us the best of both worlds by being set in a time in which we see improvement in jedi weapons. Such as when the 1st lightsabers Jedi carried into combat were recently invented, but swords are still in use by them and their enemies. Or set in an age where the crossguard and a older or newer lightsaber is also in use. Getting to see the evolution on screen of tech from different periods.

19. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    True. So the hero of the RJ trilogy will be another hard luck case, the plot will probably be another grand save the galaxy epic, and the main bad guy will be a dark side user.

Will the hero also be somebody who just recently discovered that they have the Force?

AndyLGR likes this.
  20. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I hope they make this different to the usual formula that we've seen so far, how they achieve that I don't know. But does it have to focus on another raw force pupil becoming a Jedi? How can they change things up?

21. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I guess they could make the Force user somebody who has years of experience with the Force and comes from a happy, stable family. That would be a start!

22. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    That could actually work. Someone who leads a comfortable life, lots to lose. Their conscience forces them to give up their life for one of pain and misery.

23. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    A Force Weilding Family.
    A bit like the Incredibles, with different abilities and temperaments.
    At the end of the movie they come together and stand in a dramatic pose, like a bunch of Avengers, lightsabers of many colors at the ready.

24. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Ha. Not sure if you're serious but yeah a Force family that have a happy healthy relationship could be cool. Of course then they'd all become separated and put in danger.

25. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm using silly comparisons, but I reckon it'd workm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.