main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Most successful new canon character

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dimitar, Feb 8, 2018.

1. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Thrawn has been great. Whenever a new reader starts contemplating diving into the books of Star Wars, no doubt the cover art for zahns novel is the most associated image. Thanes blue face red eyes on white backdrop can make even the most passive Star Wars fan cconsider ‘oh this could be good’.

So between that and his appearance in Rebels, I’d say he’s quite possibly the most successful in terms of drawing along new fans. Fans that had previously just stuck to movies. He’s always gonna have that double edge though, bc while new fans love him... long-time fans have the ridiculous standard of the Legends trilogy. That’s by no means a bad standard. Just that older fans will always sense a bit a disappointment in regards to his cannon characterization

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    He's not a new character.

3. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    Aphra by far

Sith Iratus likes this.
  4. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Aphra is amazing.

5. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I think I found my sig.

Edit: Never mind.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    ^ this guy gets it. Thrawn IS a new canon character, just sayin'!

revan772 likes this.
  7. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    If we're going to count Thrawn (fair cop) as a crossover character between new and old canon, then the even more obvious answers are Ahsoka Tano and Captain Rex.

Less controversially: Hera (Chopper included) and Aphra. I think the Rebels Jedi Duo of Kanan and Ezra, while they have their adherents, have been largely seen as DOA for four seasons, while everyone seems eager to see Hera further integrated into any timeframe possible -- including interacting with Aphra. I think that particular crossover pretty much answers the thread question on its own.

8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Although I don't love her as much as a lot of other people do I have to say Aphra. She's got her own comic series and has also made the crossover into novels, having had her own short story in From A Certain Point Of View.

Sloane I like but I think outside of a book about the rise of the first order I think her appearances in canon are pretty much finished in terms of progressing her story. I don't think she still have stories being told about her in ten years time unlike Thrawn.

(Slightly off topic) Worst canon characters? For that I'd go for Sana (a publicity gimmick who at her core is just a plain boring character shoehorned into a main series to fill the Lando/diversity gap in the original line-up) and Zeb (held promising potential for being a proud warrior of an extinct race but nevertheless is ultimately just used as comic relief)

9. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    I would say Aphra, Sloane, Hera, and Sabine are some of the best new canon characters besides Jyn and Rey since they are film characters.
    I would also say Sinjir was a great new addition and a great LGBT character. Also Kanan and Ezra.
    In terms of other characters I'd say Kylo Ren has received huge spotlight because he's such a fascinating character.
    Also Snoke because some of us (like myself) really would like to know more about him.

In terms of the New Canon, they've done a great job with the new characters and doing some great new things with old ones. (Minus Grievous, but I'll talk about that later)

Endor_boy likes this.
  10. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Has no one said Poe yet? He's the first new guy with meet, he's instantly likable, and he's the best damned pilot in the galaxy (self-proclaimed).

SilentGuy66 and AusStig like this.
  11. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    TV shows always make a big splash. Rebels has a younger audience target. I say a decade from now and many posters will be nostalgic for the Rebels characters.

DarthJaceus and Taylore like this.
  12. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Hera, Sabine, Kanan, Aphra. Probably in that order.

Characters created in the movies don't count.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  13. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    Based on everything I've experienced so far, I'd say Kylo Ren is my favorite new canon character.

Though I haven't read anything with Aphra in it yet. I'll have to dive into that.

14. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    Hera, Rae Sloane, Aphra, Rey, Jyn Erso, BB-8, and the Porgs, with Sinjir Rath Velus also getting a look in somewhere

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  15. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    If we're talking off-screen (including TV as "screen") honestly I don't see any that have staying power that rivals Thrawn, Revan, Kyle, Mara or the twins.

But then again, no one from Splinter of the Minds Eye, the original Marvel Run, or the first Han/Lando trilogies are household names either. There likely will be characters in the future who can rival them but not yet.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  16. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Terex, Canady, Sloane, Krennic, Jyn Erso.

On Krennic though I still wish they didn't go full mustache twirl on him, which I have sinking feeling was not in the first draft.

17. GFFAwakens

GFFAwakens Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2015
    I apologize for my lack of originality, but...the entire cast of Rebels (seriously this is my favorite Star Wars right now, including new films) and Aphra. I liked Sinjir, but it's been some time since I've re-read that series and Rebels is by far at the forefront of my mind in terms of quality Star Wars. Also, who knows if we will ever see Sinjir again.

At this point, it's too soon to tell if the cast of Battlefront II will be successful. I think they had a good start.

18. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    The next 'your face here' cardboard cutout power-fantasy player character in whatever is the next very successful singleplayer SW video game.

Considering that and a bunch of almost-certainly-lies (which if true set off all kinds of Sue alarms) spun by Kreia were all it took for Revan to get an immense fanbase despite barely being a character.

Kyle has shades of that too, but at least had a concrete personality and goals.

Aside from that, probably Aphra? She's the only one I can think of that's had enough appearances in enough different formats unless we're counting characters that originated on-screen. Has anyone but Gillen included her in something yet? Once that happens then she's cemented in there for sure.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  19. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    How dare you! Everyone knows Crimson Jack, Baron Tagge, Gallandro and Vuffi Raa! Anyone who claims not to know them are obviously lying!

Senpezeco, WMIRTUTSF and Daneira like this.
  20. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I would say Thrawn, but that's just me.

21. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    It seems like it's tricky for authors to create and sustain original EU characters in the new paradigm. Since there are so few adult novels per year, and so much of the publishing schedule is based around upcoming movies and the events/eras surrounding them, it's always back to square one with characters, isn't it? Sloane managed to appear across various eras and had a great run for a few years, but is her day already done? Could she be in any Solo-related material without it feeling terribly shoehorned? Is there any room for her to realistically appear in the future?

In the old EU there was the continuing post-ROTJ-saga, so characters like Pellaeon or Fey'lya or Garm could always just appear in the next book. In the new EU there's going to be constant uncertainty about which inter-movie-gap the next book will be squeezed into. So can authors even make plans for characters beyond whatever book/trilogy they've been contracted to write? Is it better to tie a character's story up instead of leaving them in limbo and hoping that their day will one day come again, even if you have no idea if any future books will ever take place in that area of the timeline?

Is Aphra's success and cross-platform-success a complete fluke? Is it easier for that to happen to new EU characters than I suppose?

22. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I haven't even read anything featuring her, but Aphra seems like far and away the best answer here, and maybe the only one who comes close to the sort of ubiquity that certain major characters enjoyed in the old EU.

Yeah, that seems like the big difference. There's less of a 'continuing story' now. Books tend to pop up as single-volume supplements to films or shows, often focused on providing backstory for a single character. In the past, you might have some Han Solo novels, but they were the exception to the prevailing trend of end-on-end group tales.

I've only read A New Dawn and Bloodline, and the only character out of those who I'd nominate is Rae Sloane. From Rebels...I do think like someone else said, that in the coming years we'll see people who grew up with the show becoming vocal adults, but at this point I don't regard any of the characters as truly iconic, except for those inherited from The Clone Wars. Hera is my favorite and I'd love to see her in a film, but she seems to be maybe the most subtly-sketched one. I love Ahsoka and Thrawn, but frankly I'd be more likely to buy a Hera novel. My biggest disappointment with A New Dawn was how little of her I really learned.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  23. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Hera's popping up all over the place, including the Aphra comic -- the two of them together on the cover pretty much screams "here's what's working in the NEU".

Which is pretty cool as far as the female characters go -- the films are covering the plucky ingenues but there's a limit on that; meanwhile we have Space Mom Flying Ace and Amoral Archeologist Oddball to enjoy.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I do think that after IX we'll probably get some Bloodline-equivalent book from the First Order viewpoint on how they actually get created, and I'm sure Sloane will be front and center there.

25. SabineFett

SabineFett Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 17, 2014
    Aphra one hundred and ten percent.
    And I believe that for many reasons, including the fact that she is officially the first comic introduced character of the new Canon to get an action figure. :D
    [​IMG]
    And just look at that face sculpt, compared to figures of other female star wars characters Aphra here is gorgeous.