main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Solo: A Star Wars Story Trailer #2

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 8, 2017.

1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Every car I have owned has gotten a bit grimey and dented after 10 years of use. The radio aerial gets snapped off and replaced by a coat hanger.

Obviously the plan is that in this movie the Falcon is nice and new, and they quietly ignore the Prequel cameo because that doesn't fit into the story. Both Han and the Millenium Falcon are young and fresh and ready for whatever the Galaxy throws at them. That's the story.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I figure Han purposely made it look unkempt and junky. As a smuggler, it'd be in his best interests to make his fast, tricked-up, well-armed ship full of contraband look like some barely-mobile piece of garbage that didn't warrant a second look by bureaucrats, Espos or Stormtroopers..

3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Not sure if this one has been posted yet, but I found it rather informative including cross-references:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/everything-we-can-glean-from-the-first-solo-a-star-war-1822730254

One part, however, made me chuckle:

"Han’s line about being “kicked out of the flight academy” offers something very intriguing for old Expanded Universe fans. In the old Expanded Universe, Han did indeed sign up to join the Imperial Academy as a teenager, desperate at a chance to fly ships for a living. He was kicked out for a little more than “having a mind of his own,” though—he was drummed out for attacking a senior officer to help Chewbacca, then an Imperial slave, escape captivity. That could still be the case in Solo, which will apparently show us how Han met his wookiee friend in the first place. It certainly wouldn’t be the first bit of EU lore to make its way back into Disney’s Star Wars canon."

That's not EU lore, that's the essence of Solo's biography George Lucas had in mind when he made ANH, first published in his Skywalking biography.

P.S. Found it

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I imagine they'll strip out most of that upholstery to make the ship as light possible for the Kessel Run. Then all you need is wear and tear and a fire or two in the ship, with plenty of smoke to make the interior look as grimy as it does.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    But if it was published in the EU before Skywalking was published, or if the EU story was more widely read than Skywalking, most people are going to know it from EU lore.

The first EU source to make allusions to Han & Chewie's backstory was Brian Daley's Han Solo At Star's End:

"As I live and breathe," she scoffed. "Have we finally seen Han Solo do something unselfish? Are you going soft? Who knows, you may even pick up a little morality one day, if you ever wake up and get wise to yourself."
    He stopped, his leer gone. He glared at her for a moment, then said, "I already know all about morality, Jess. A friend of mine made a decision once, thought he was doing the moral thing. Hell, he was. But he'd been conned. He lost his career, his girl, everything. This friend of mine, he ended up standing there while they ripped the rank and insignia off his tunic. The people who didn't want him put up against a wall and shot were laughing at him. A whole planet. He shipped out of there and never went back."
    She watched his face become ugly. “Wouldn't anyone testify for—your friend?” she asked softly.
    He sniggered. “His commanding officer committed perjury against him. There was only one witness in his defense, and who's going to believe a Wookiee?”

Jedi Knight Fett and Hopeless like this.
  6. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Better than most (especially the youtube 'dissections') but still not quite joining all the dots;

She’s joined by a cool-looking droid that is possibly Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s character. - P W-B is that droid, L3-37.

will see Han and Beckett’s crew disguise themselves as Imperials and infiltrate the planet Mimban - Nothing in the toy packaging suggests they are in disguise.

we get a brief shot of a multi-armed alien taking the controls of something—maybe the train from the Super Bowl spot? - No, it's piloting one of those Flying Cranes.

Han, piloting a cargo ship on the snow planet, carries what looks like a segment of the freight train from the TV spot (it’s kind of bizarre that those shots aren’t in this trailer, honestly). It looks like some bikes, driven by what looks like those aliens from the sand world, are trying to pull Han’s haul away from him, only for the smuggler to let them have it in a rather explosive manner. - The most intuitive part of the article, we can actually see one of those flying bikes (bigger than speeder bikes) in the beach village.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  7. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Skywalking was released in 1983, a decade before the bulk of EU novels. But I don't see the allusion in Brian Daley's Han Solo novel from 1979, as I don't believe that a Wookiee would remotely qualify as a "defense" in an Imperial trial concerning the liberation of aforementioned Wookiee.
    IIRC, however, Daley was the first to mention Han's origin as an Imperial officer, probably based on his (exclusive) access to the 1977 Lucas Notes where Han's backstory was revealed.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the later EU it was wasn't just "Han liberates Chewie" - more "Han saves Chewie from being beaten to death by the aforementioned superior officer, by stunning him". Hence Chewie being around to testify on Han's behalf and not be believed.

That said, Han in the Daley novel may simply have been making the point that Chewie, while a witness, would not have been allowed to testify in the first place - not necessarily that he testified and wasn't believed. Chewie may have fled Imperial custody with Han's help:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pter_Nyklas

It'll be interesting to see how the Solo movie handles Han & Chewie and how Chewie ends up as Han's co-pilot.

Jedi Knight Fett and Hopeless like this.
  9. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Such a huge point in their lives and surprisingly little speculation about it here.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I like it. Good thinking.

Ricardo Funes and Satipo like this.
  11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I can't wait until the fans learn the real truth about Han Solo. Notice how Qi'Ra says, "I'm the only one who knows WHAT you really are." Yup, you heard it here first, WHAT you really are, NOT who. Han Solo is an android / replicant. He's a skinjob. First of his kind. That's why he was always on the run, because he didn't want the Empire getting ahold of him and taking him apart to figure out who made this miraculous technology so far ahead of its time. Word is he's a product of Kamino's post-Clone Wars research efforts :p It's going to redefine the character entirely.

12. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    None of the upholstery has been stripped out though. In the context of the story I doubt that there will be any pre-planning involved for the 'run'.

13. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    LOL love the subtle use of "replicant".

14. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I love that last scene of the trailer - the one where Han is his usual confident self ("Get ready. I thought we were in trouble there for a second, but it’s fine. We’re fine.") before giving everyone a shock when he nearly got the ship caught by those giant tentacles... :p

Heard rumors that this could be the first time we actually see the famous Kessel Run on screen, and that he did escape those tentacled beasts in 12 parsecs! ^:)^

dekaneas likes this.
  15. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    Only got to see the trailer recently, work has been killer the past few weeks.

Unfortunately this won't be a midnight screening for me. The trailer just didn't hit me right. Still interested enough to see it on the opening weekend but i'm starting to think after IX, i might just save my hype for the next episodic movies (X XI XII if they get made). RO fell flat for me and Solo just makes me think "eh".

Maybe kenobi or Old Republic might get me into the stand alone series but right now any enthusiasm for the standalone wasn't increased with the Solo teaser. :(

16. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    they actually don't do midnight openings at my local Regal just cold openings on Thursday at 7:00 PM ...

If i went to a movie at midnight i think i would fall asleep in the theater. midnight is just to late. may be at 36 going on 37 in June I am just getting to old to stay up that late. I could have probably done it in my 20's or when i was a teenager.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  17. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Mine don't do midnight screenings either. They have a 7 and one somewhere around 10 pm. I'll hit the 7 pm one Thursday.

18. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I saw the Sabotage recut trailer for Solo and it inspired me to do one myself.

themoth, 11-4D and Siphonophore like this.
  19. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Watched the Black Panther today, there was no Solo trailer attached to it here in Brazil :(
    In the other hand, the movie is great!

20. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Looks like an action/comedy version of Rogue One

21. CloneWarsFan01

CloneWarsFan01 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 1, 2015
    I think the second trailer might be better and we'll see that trailer drop April 23rd on GMA on ABC, before showing in front of Infinity War on May 4th. Then, we'll get the ticket sales on the Monday after Infinity War's release.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    After being pulled over far too many times for street racing in a tricked out Porsche, the owner decided to scratch up the body and paint "Farm Use" on the sides. He hasn't been pulled over since.

TadoFett likes this.
  23. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Looking forward to that "full trailer" too... And I really do have the same feeling as you, in that it will be shown some time in April (not necessarily on the 23rd, may be even after that) to fully build momentum for the release of the Solo movie the following month! =D=

The feeling will hence be like that of Rogue One, a bunch of short teasers ensuring growing anticipation for that first Anthology movie before BOOM, the last trailer came out to stun us all! ^:)^

CloneWarsFan01 likes this.
  24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Solo International Trailer, Do you guys notice major Differences In the international version?

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  25. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    They have just added two brief shots from the Superbowl clip.