main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    And Kalla wins ahead of Björgen!

First gold of The games to Sweden in the ladies skiathlon.

Skickat från min SM-A520F via Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    yankee8255 likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The USA has its first medal, courtesy of a 17 year old snowboarding dweeb with pimples all over his face. It was a great moment to watch.

Really loving the team figure skating event for its second time out. You get to see athletes you normally wouldn't focus on as much. Like the Italian pairs couple who absolutely killed it in the free skate.

Can't wait for tomorrow. I've been following most major skating events since I saw the National Championship last year, where I learned a lot (they gave us free radios to listen to technical commentary live).

Pensivia likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I know people pooh-pooh the Team event, but we're loving it... except the Canadian ice dancers make everyone else look like the JV squad.

Do you know who's running the long programs for us in men's and women's skate? I hadn't heard so far...

Pensivia likes this.
  5. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Had my tv on last night and kept waking up randomly during USA women's hockey.

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The snowboarding event was fantastic. Nice to see the 17 year old wunderkind win. I tuned out after that.

dp4m likes this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Honestly? I didn't even know something like "snowboarding slopestyle" existed (or had forgotten, since it was at Sochi) -- but it's amazing. It's funny, now that I'm old, I keep yelling "Oh no!" any time anyone falls (snowboarding, ice skating, etc.) because I just want to make sure those "young folks" are okay...

8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    We did not know about this either. It just happened to be on and we got sucked in. Amazing and then some. Yeah, we were wincing here too. These kids are awesome and we groaned every time one of them landed improperly. By tuning out, I meant after the slopestyle event ended (Even mom, who likes figure skating, tapped out.)

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    THAT LUGE FINALE THOUGH!!!

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Luke02 like this.
  10. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    damn, bad start. but congrats on your gold, sweden

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Norway got the triple in the men's skiatlon though, so you well made up for the so so results from the women.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm watching the Men's Singles Luge final right now.

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I've reached the point of old age where I watch Moguls and think "that must be terribly painful on your knees, and not good for long term joint health"

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - I was thinking the same thing as I saw a bit of the women's freestyle earlier..
    Luge is about my speed - you can recline all the way down..

Juliet316 and Pensivia like this.
  16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Youre rivht. Went skiing today on moguls in a misty rain and my legs are so sore.

17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I've thought that of moguls since I was a teenager, so I must have matured early.

18. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    There's a video of Donna Weinbrecht somewhere, admitting to having had like three surgeries on her knees, and that Moguls is hard on the body. (Not that this is a shock, just... committment to the sport, and how. Also at that same Winter Games, one of the men doing moguls was skiing on two torn ACL's, and a figure skater on a broken foot because "I'm not going to miss this." That pair came in like 18th in a field of 25...)

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Been glued to some of this mixed doubles curling. Last night Norway-China, today Norway-Canada. Such a fun, different sport to watch.

Nagasu first American woman to land a triple axel at the Olympics. Unbelievable.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Those Russian women singles skaters are something else...

And extremely glad for Rippon to get a medal, since he's likely to fall short in the individual events.

21. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Loved the Canadian ice dance pair Virtue and Moir (Moulin Rouge + figure skating...what's not to love?!:p). Also thought the American "Shib Sibs" skated a very engaging, expressive program!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I love watching both curling and figure skating, but they are in the middle of the night here so there's no way I can stay up and watch them. It's quite obvious how they have made the program to cater to the preferences of the contintents,

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    heelsy, I've been hooked on curling for a few Olympics now, but the mixed doubles adds a whole new element to it that makes it even more loveable.

24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    So I see the Hunger Games are now part of the Olympics again:

That lunge final was one more of the cooler things I seen in sports lately. Just was amazing to watch athletes from opposing countries cheer each other on. As they said, it is a small subculture onto itself so a lot of them are friends despite being competitors.

Interested to seeing the ice hockey start for the men here soon. Going to be a really different tournament now that the NHL is not there.

25. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    It's always fun when Sweden wins a medal, but when it's a silver from a junior athlete that was at the games to learn, and who got a lot of praise for his 14th place yesterday, then it's even more fun. Another reason why I love biathlon, there was so much happening in both the women's and mens pursuit today. And yes silver to Sweden in the men's.

I was also really happy to see Sara Takanashi of Japan finally win an Olympic medal in the ski jumping. She has been the great star of women's ski jumping, but just not had the nerves for the big medal events. As it is the women's ski jumping is moving away from her way of jumping, which mostly relies on being light and floating down, towards the more powerful style of Maren Lundby of Norway who won today so I'm not sure there will be a many more chances for Sara.