main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Giving a chance? Never! I will prejudge this series to be terrible and therefore will never watch it.

*Watches each film twice on opening night*

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The OT wasn't planned out because Lucas didn't know whether or not ANH would be a success. That's well known. Comparing the situation back then to the sequel trilogy is like comparing apples with oranges. The PT wasn't planned well and it shows.

"Making it up as you go along" has produced countless duds when it comes to epic, overarching storylines. Usually the ending is the problem. A writer may rope people in by promising answers, but more often than not those promises go unfulfilled (best example Lost).

They could bring in Straczynski, at least he knows how to write space opera and plans his storylines in advance.

But instead they hired a bunch of people who are in the Lost mindset. It's basically a scam. You're promised an epic storyline but instead you are cheated out of your money. GOT follows the model. It's scandalous plotpoint after scandalous plotpoint and a real ending is not in sight.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Tosche_Station, Shadao and 11-4D like this.
  3. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Addressing several of your points -

Game of thrones ends next season. So it definitely has a real end. Likewise it’s clear after IX they are moving away from the Skywalker Saga so that would also imply and end. So to suggest that it’s just a bait and switch that never ends it doesn’t really hold. Even just looking at TLJ it answered a ton of questions without putting mysteries within mysteries to string people along.

I also think you’re exaggerating GoT plots to ridiculousness. It’s not all scandal. A lot of it is actually very moving and personal. All of which is besides the point because the Star Wars movies these guys produce will not be GoT in space. That’s not what Star Wars is. People clamoring for hard R Star Wars are going to be forever disappointed as the one true thing about it is that it is for families.

Lucas didn’t have a plan and made it up as he went along. he had ideas and potential plot lines but no overall arc when starting. JJ and RJ made it up as they went along. They had ideas and potential plot lines but no overall arc when starting. Here’s the kicker - all stories are made up as they go along. They don’t just magically appear on someone’s paper with a clear structure and path. People start with an idea and then build. Once again it’s called development.

Can you imagine how dull the stories might’ve been if the directors were told this has to happen here, no you can’t have that character do that because we need them for this later set up. It’s static and unimaginative.

Lost is a poor comparison outside of JJ was involved in both. Lost was told to artificially pad its middle seasons to extend its ratings success and to not do anything too drastic with characters except give them pointless backstory that adds nothing to the story. Case and point - how did Jack get his tattoo? Let’s have a full episode about that.

The ST and R1 have been the exact opposite. Not being spoon fed every little detail, actually moving the story forward and for the most part answering the questions that pertain to the sort that are actual answers and not my arteries within mysteries - Rey’s heritage, Why Luke left, what happened to Ben. Rogue One was about as final as it can get for the entire cast. No secret characters miraculously surviving etc.

The issue is more that you don’t like the films. That’s fine but it doesn’t make it necessary to rain on those who are enjoying the ST and the direction LFL is taking Star Wars with JJ, RJ and Beinoff/Weiss. Stop belittling those that ARE fans. It’s not a scam it’s just something you don’t like.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  4. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    very true. Nothing is set in stone and that's called developpment. Stories dont come out of thin air. And once you created a narrative and possible paths these characters somehow take a life of their own.

Most people who think the ST has no structure are those who simply dont enjoy these new films.

But you can't say there's no coherent structure/progression with a purpose when:
    TFA introduced us to a rising heroine looking for a belonging and TLJ showed us how she had to struggle with her identity and destiny, her place in "all this". Mirroring her journey is her frenemy dark prince struggling too with his own sense of identity and belonging -on the opposite specter-. JJ promised us we'll see the evolution of a villain and that's what we got with the 2 movies, from emo unstable vad erboy to unstable but more complex supreme leader (of tears ;-) ) Along this you have the ageing OT characters and how they handle the weight of legacy and the passing of the torch. And a question: how to not repeat the mistakes of the past and break the circle?

Thematically and narratively, TFA and TLJ are very coherent. Absolutely not the mess that people who simply dont like the story want us to think it is.

PT: corruption / fall of ideals and democracy
    OT: hope / rebellion / redemption
    ST: weight of legacy-history / post-war lost generation / mythology

5. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    No, I went and re-read it. It was Iger with the quote, and they were all new shows in production.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  6. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    The announcement of this, plus RJ's trilogy, suggests to me that Disney are moving away from the Anthology movies.

7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Or they'll continue to create anthology films with connections to the Skywalker Saga to keep nostalgic fans coming back who might not think the new unconnected movies feel like Star Wars. It's the ultimate "cover all the bases" move.

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree with this. I'm sure they'll keep up with the anthology films. For that very reason. What I'm personally thinking with all of this is that they eventually (meaning sometime 3-5 years from now) will begin releasing more than one film a year, Marvel style. I don't see any reason why they'd avoid that. Assuming the anthologies continue, and two new film series/trilogies coming, if they were to only release one a year, that's a film slate that covers almost like 10 years ahead. That seems a bit of a stretch.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  9. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    That argument only holds water for the first movie. It's also well known that Leia wasn't supposed to be Lukes sister (as evidenced by the continuation of the love triangle subplot) and we weren't supposed to see the Emperor in the flesh until the sequel trilogy. Lucas was still talking about 9 movies and possibly 12 during the time of Empire. Lucas only decided to make Leia Lukes sister and kill off the emperor in ROTJ when he became burned out after his divorce. So, one could still say he was making it up as he went along every step of the way. Plot lines he set up in ESB didn't play out as planned in ROTJ. By the time ESB was in production, Lucas could have made any number of movies he wanted after the runaway success of ANH.

So, it's not as much apples to oranges as you might suggest.

10. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    GL seems to have a non-linear approach, which means planning everything thoroughly might not be how he rolls.

11. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    But why not proceed with them right away? The RJ and B&W trilogies will keep them busy for at least a decade.

12. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    We'll we've got one coming out in four months. That's about as "right away" as it gets. ;)

It wouldn't surprise me if they announce a Kenobi film to be released after Ep. 9 and then we'll get the first of Rian Johnson's trilogy after that.

That said I think Disney would rather make the new non-Skywalker films their priority and the anthology films are a side dish.

13. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Not to get into conspiracy theories, but I actually think there might be some truth to this. I found the timing of the D&D announcement to be strange from the beginning.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Shadao likes this.
  14. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    This is Disney we're talking about. For a long time now they've been announcing Marvel movies and directors years and years in advance and it's had nothing to do with trying to distract from their other films. This is no different. I'm pretty sure Disney and Lucasfilm are pretty happy with the billion plus dollars Rian Johnson made for them and are confident that he'll deliver another quality movie.

Rodie likes this.
  15. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Has anyone speculated about Disney firing Rian yet? That seems like a fresh topic for discussion.

Darth Smurf and kalzeth like this.
  16. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Please god tell me this is sarcasm!

17. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    It is.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  18. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Well basically like I said, I predict they'll eventually move to two films a year-which would allow for Anthology films to be released alongside those new trilogies. I could be wrong, but I would wonder what Disney's explanation could be for NOT going to two a year, considering how well that model has worked for them before, and how well their SW films are doing in the BO. I don't think SW fatigue is a thing they're concerned with, the way we are-at least not right now...

I also predict we'll get another Anthology (agreed-hopefully Kenobi) before we start seeing the new trilogies. But I also agree that the anthologies will still serve as "for the fans" type releases, while all of that new stuff is coming out-as kind of a way to reel back in the older fans as they further deviate from the original arc, universe, and aesthetics.

Then again, I imagine that whether or not they continue with the Anthologies will also be determined partly by how well Solo performs. If it doesn't go the way they hope, I wouldn't be surprised if they scrap the anthology plans and dedicate themselves to the two trilogies. Who knows what goes on in those meetings behind closed doors? Maybe they've already decided that, and that's the whole reason we now have another series in the works in addition to RJ's.?? :confused:

19. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I just don't expect any media releases from Disney about Johnson's new trilogy this year, and absolutely LFL and Disney are not happy with a 48% audience rating on RT. Are you kidding? They want that % as high as possible. People don't buy toys and merchandise from a film they didn't absolutely love. And the more they put Johnson's name out there right now, the more times the general public will be reminded that audiences gave mixed reviews to his SW movie be it in comments on articles, Facebook, youtube videos, etc.

I think there will be more news coming out about Obi-Wan and the GoT guys' series first. I'm sure when the time comes they'll promote Johnson's series loudly and proudly, but Johnson's trilogy was announced when it was obviously to promote TLJ, and Disney and Kennedy are not in the business of pumping up Johnson as the sole caretaker of Star Wars' future, so yeah I think they are cooling it on Johnson until there's real concrete progress to report, basics like cast and locations that take the focus off the director and give fans something else to potentially be excited about, and in the meantime the official info focus will be on Solo, Episode IX, the GoT team and their film, and hopefully Obi-Wan and maybe even a Lando film (my dream).

Baron_Papanerd and Shadao like this.
  20. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    I'm not saying that Rian will be fired or anything like that, but I do think they would want to keep him out of the spotlight for a while. The most logical thing would be to make the B&W announcement after the last season of GoT ends in 2019. Instead, they're doing it now...

11-4D, Shadao and Rodie like this.
  21. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I doubt LFL/Disney cares about RT scores nearly as much as they care about box office #'s. That will be the driving force for their future plans I'm betting.

22. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I'm talking about marketing, press releases and the control, timing and flow of information. I'm not talking about LFL/Disney's plans for the films themselves.

Maybe Disney will have Johnson out and about answering questions about his new trilogy tomorrow, but I doubt it. I think it'll be a while, and by design.

23. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Oh, I see. Gotcha. :)

Although I still would maintain that they likely don't hold that much stock in RT scores, the way some moviegoers do-even for marketing. I'm sure they're aware that RT is not really a dependable way of ensuring a film will perform well, whether based off pre-release buzz or post. I'd imagine the marketing teams they use are not basing their methods off of what Rotten Tomatoes says. Maybe they stay aware of where it's at, but I don't imagine it would change their approach necessarily.

24. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    You act as if that value had any meaning, it doesn't. No one in the industry cares one bit about a random and easily manipulated number that no one ever bothered with before. The only RT-number that people were truly looking at was the critics score, and even that one isn't all that indicative of things. Companies have their own way to measure things, they don't rely on absurd internet-polls, they use the actual thing, done the proper way.

You don't announce a trilogy to promote a movie that is about to come out. It does have the side-effect of suggesting that there is a lot of faith in the director, so it does automatically promote the upcoming work a bit, but that effect is rather low on the list of things you think about when you announce an entire trilogy.

If they had wanted to keep him out of the spotlight they would have done so, but they didn't. He is still talking to those who want him to talk about the movie, and they specifically mentioned his new trilogy in the announcement of this new series of movies. There isn't anything that makes an announcement after GoT is over "the most logical thing" either. The GoT-makers themselves announced a new series way earlier than this new SW-project, thus fully debunking your argument already. This movie-series was announced now because things were finalized and ready for announcement. If they had wanted to keep the spotlight elsewhere, they would have just used the Solo-trailer for that, instead of making an announcement that would automatically trigger new discussion that would involve the anti-Johnson sentiment from the usual suspects. And even away from those you would get a comment of "didn't they just announce new movies by Johnson?", which obviously does nothing to remove the spotlight.

You don't move the attention away from Johnson and his new movies by announcing further new movies, you do so by talking about something where people actually have something they can grab onto, like a new trailer for the movie that is coming out soon. Seeing how they did talk about new movies, had Johnson talk about his current one, and released stuff about Solo, they obviously didn't see any reason to keep Johnson out of the spotlight.

Satipo likes this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Remember how long it took for LFL to announce anything about TFA after the initial announcement that it was being made? That's basically where we're at with Rian's trilogy. It's highly unlikely we'd hear anything about it this year anyway. It doesn't mean they're trying to hide Rian until the dust settles. It just means production isn't anywhere near ready to start. In fact didn't Rian say he wanted to make another film between TLJ and the start of this new trilogy? That in itself says announcements are nowhere near ready to begin.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.