main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Why? Ewan MacGregor wants to do it and everyone has always liked Ewan as Obi-wan.

2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I'd like to see what McGregor can do with a less-horrible director. I always got the impression that Lucas was standing just offscreen saying, "No, no, be less interesting. Be more wooden."

DarthIntegral and Sarge like this.
  3. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    You mean he held up a sign that said “dull and boring,” instead of “faster, louder, more intense.”

:p

poor yorick likes this.
  4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'd like to see Qui Gon appear, as a flashback/ghost/hologram.
    Neeson obviously has no problem with reprising the role these days given he agreed to appear TCW.
    A bit of ILM de-aging magic & he'll be good to go.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The poor man's Kenneth Branagh would be best served by being replaced with Actual Kenneth Branagh.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It should be that guy from the movie where he is stranded on a desert island screaming about Wilson the volleyball, because this film will have the same plot points. The actor will go nowhere and interact with no one for 2 hours while in a barren wasteland.

tom likes this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Finally, a good Star Wars film.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Binks: A Star Wars Story

It's what we're all actually clamoring for anyways.

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    not everyone .

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    There were rumours for years that Lucas heavily re-wrote AOTC & ROTS to include less Jar Jar because of the backlash over TPM.
    Supposedly he had a much bigger more important role in the events.
    Maybe the secret mastermind idea fans throw around from time to time was more than just a theory.

Darth Jar Jar A Star Wars Story could be awesome. If not for his lightsaber style alone.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  11. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    the best Star Wars movie

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Really? For all the crap that he has gotten over the last 20 years over the prequels’ flaws, some of which, like Jar Jar is definitely deserved, I’ve never heard anyone question George Lucas’ decision to cast Ewan as Obi-wan. He was very, very good and wound up carrying the trilogy. Ewan has also said that he had a good experince making Star Wars and has repeatedly said that he be would up for more if the opportunity presented itself.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  13. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I still non-ironically want Terrence Malick to do a Star War.

Bacon164 likes this.
  14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't deny that he was popular amongst most fans , but I found him often lacking and awkwardly trying to imitate Guinness . by ROTS he is pretty good especially his scene with Padme .

I think the biggest problem of the PT was the casting / chemistry . I know people like to blame the dialogue but I don't buy that , it's the actor's job to make such dialogue work , Chris Lee and Peter Cushing are masters at that .
    TPM is particularly bad , actors just standing around looking like they don't know what to do .

Artoo-Dion and Sarge like this.
  15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Ewan was OK, he tried his best with what he was given.
    Not being awful isn't the same as being great.
    Portman is a very good actress, but she was bad in the PT. Ewan had better material & did somewhat better with that.

The only actors who almost salvaged the PT with their sheer acting power were the veteran supporting cast (Neeson, Lee, McDiarmid, Jackson etc).

16. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Pretty sure Neeson has top billing in TPM.

cratylus and Ender Sai like this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ewan was fine, nothing special. He certainly wasn't iconic in the role, like Guinness. Adequate, is how I'd describe him. Probably the same will go for this guy playing Han Solo.

Although I will not disagree that Ewan had a great time making the prequels, would you, @Ender Sai ?

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I can’t see Malick doing Star Wars. Tonally, it’s all wrong. I think a serious film maker who probably would be a good fit for Star Wars would be Ridley Scott. At one point, Scott almost wound up directing Dune and has said that he was very interested in making Dune because it potentially would have very much been in the vein of Star Wars.

19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I also applauded the decision to cast McGregor.
    But he sucked.

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yes someone else could have done great with those scripts.

SuperWatto, Lord Vivec and Diggy like this.
  21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    PT actor discourse is so weird. "Man so-and-so was terrible, they must be a bad actor. Other than all of those films they were good in. But they weren't good in the PT like Christopher Lee, who coincidentally and on a totally unrelated note is well-known for being a good actor even in terrible productions. Thus they are bad. Despite winning awards."

22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Ewan definitely looked the part, but due to poor dialogue and story, he really didn't get a chance to shine. I don't really think there is a riveting story to tell on Tatooine involving Obi-wan during his solitude, so just leave it alone and tell us a better story.

Sarge and SithLordDarthRichie like this.
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't see the point in contesting it, no. He's a Scot on a fully catered set, that's all he needs, really.

But I'd defer to Richard, or someone like Bowen who wrote expert books on the matter. They're the insiders we need right now.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I was referring to your tales of AOTC, when Ewan enjoyed going down while down under.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh yes, where he was being utterly unfaithful with anything from a lounge to the young females on set and around Sydney? Which the Ewan fanclub ignored because they probably assumed it was a matter of time before the marriage ended and he'd go for at least one, maybe more, of them?

I mean he really did cheat horribly on his wife, often.

Diggy likes this.