main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How many times have you seen TLJ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Vader0706, Dec 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah I'm really hoping that it stays playing somewhere near me, even if it's only 2 showings per day, for another few weeks anyway. I thought February was guaranteed, but that March was probably the end. It's actually kind of strange to me because as I recall, neither Rogue One nor The Force Awakens had this happen, which I found bizarre to be honest. It's very standard for theaters to split screens when a movie reaches the end of the run. None of my local theaters did that to either movie, they just went from a full screen to gone overnight. With TLJ, they're all doing it, all at a half screen. Kind of strange. Better than just gone, of course.

I'm going to hammer Solo while it's in IMAX because I anticipate that movie won't be around too long, due to no fault of its own, but it's a very very busy summer so it'll have a few weeks in IMAX and then by week 8 I would imagine it's pretty much gone everywhere. I'm sure my Solo viewing count will be lowest of the Disney Star Wars era but that's just because the run length won't be as long.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Too many big movies opening this month and the next ones.

jaqen likes this.
  3. RexTano

RexTano Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2017
    Saw it for the 3rd time earlier this week. I'm in the "meh" camp on TLJ, which of course I won't belabor anyone with the reasons for here. Didn't really care for it after the 1st time, anyone who cares to know why can search on the "haters" forum (although I technically didn't "hate" it). Saw it a 2nd time a month later with my young nephews, who really liked it, and found myself, if not quite "liking" it, at least cutting it a bit more slack than after the 1st viewing. Then decided to see it one more time in a theater, alone this time so there were fewer distractions (can't argue with a $5 matinee), to give it one final chance. Still didn't "like" it, but was able to better appreciate some things about it and find ways to make it fit into my interpretation of the entire franchise (we all have our own). I'll get the BR when it comes out, and watch it several more times.

Given how controversial it's been with fans, I suspect that a major determinant of whether one liked TLJ or not is how well it conformed to one's own fairly set ideas of what SW was all about, and what a SW film was supposed to be like--and how open one was to adapting these ideas if one didn't much care for it initially. To me--and I stress me, and don't mean to impose this on others--TLJ simply broke too much with what to me is SW tradition and convention, for me to ever be likely to truly like it. Obviously, to others--many others--it either did conform to their own views of SW tradition and convention, or they liked the fact that it broke with these traditions and conventions. I'm obviously more of a traditionalist wrt SW, and conservative about how much I'm ok with breaking with tradition (as I see it), so it just didn't do it for me.

I'm just hoping that JJA goes back to the old formula. Yeah, I'm boring that way.

4. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Just once. That was enough for me.

5. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I think JJ will bring things full circle and deliver a crowd pleaser for Episode IX. I certainly hope so!

6. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    Saw it three times in the theater , two more times through .... other means.

And it's actually been gone from my Regal for 2 weeks now. I had planned to go see it last Friday , February 2nd one last time, and was shocked to see it gone already.

7. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Got back from #7, still liking things more and more and disliking minor things more and more too.

Ricardo Funes and Bowen like this.
  8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Still planning to get around to my 4th viewing.

Luckily it's playing at 4 or 5 major theaters in my area, but I know I can't keep putting this off.

9. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Got in #29 last night. Won't hit 30 before I leave for Las Vegas tomorrow, but it should be playing SOMEWHERE for sure next weekend. I'll just try to find wherever it plays and at least go once a week until it's gone, probably still twice a week IF I can find it.

I'll agree to a point that after a while, yeah, it's like... I LOVE the movie but let's say DJ, he gets a bit grating after so many viewings, and Rose doesn't grow on me. I don't care for her at all. BUT that's fine, I mean Star Wars should have all types of characters, not just the same ones over and over. She just isn't my favorite, that's all, and there's nothing wrong with that :p

jaqen and Ricardo Funes like this.
  10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    You need a second hobby, mate [face_laugh]

intravenusdemilo likes this.
  11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I have way more than a second hobby haha Star Wars is just the biggest. I watch every Vegas Golden Knights hockey game, in fact leaving for Vegas tomorrow to watch them play their next two home games, looking forward to Yankees season starting next month, and I watch about 5 older / classic movies per week, plus I read film books every day (on a Frank Capra biography now). Then there's video games, where I play on both Xbox One and PS4, but also have a home arcade (MAME) machine and virtual pinball. My girlfriend and I do a lot together. I don't consider working out a hobby, but I weight train seriously as well and keep myself in top shape. As I always say, there is lots of time in the day, it's about how you use it. It's definitely a time commitment seeing a SW movie many times in theaters, but it's not like it takes that long relative to how many hours there are in a week :D

I just was looking at Rogue One's box office and realizing I thought my Rogue One viewings were about done after this point, too, I just got fortunate that my theaters held it another 6 weeks. I don't think that'll happen this time, but I guess you never know, TLJ did just beat Rogue One's daily gross yesterday so who knows, maybe it does stick around longer. I have never seen a Star Wars movie in theaters fewer times than my age when it was released, so I'd have to hit 35 for TLJ to make that continue. I know it'll end with Solo though, so either way, no biggie.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  12. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    @Bowen, you’re time management is amazing.

[​IMG]

13. Chosen_Jedi74

Chosen_Jedi74 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    Saw it twice this past weekend to bring my total to 7 times. I think I will stop there and wait for the blu ray. Also looking forward to Solo. I love all the Star Wars movies not one I don't like but TLJ for me is one of best. Love the emotional roller coaster and how unpredictable it is. Great movie!!

Lost_Hope, B99, Ricardo Funes and 2 others like this.
  14. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    You might laugh a bit but I have continually found that holding myself accountable helps me a lot. I write down what I accomplished each day and then each week I have that overview and make sure it meets my targets for what I wanted (I set a more modest goal of 3 classic movies per week, but I’ve not fell below 5 for a while; just keeping goals realistic helps you believe you can achieve them though). Then for instance I hold myself to at least 4 hours of screenwriting / outlining per day. It may not sound like a lot but I mean it must be undistracted 4 hours otherwise I add on time. Plus if you’re forced to write down what you did, you just get embarrassed if you can’t write anything useful for the whole day :p LOL. At least it works for me!

15. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I'm still at one viewing, and it will most likely remain that way until I can get the DVD from the local library. I enjoyed the movie, but I just never see the point in watching the same thing more than once within a short time span.

16. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Me neither, that’s why I wait a few hours at least sometimes even days! ;) Lol you have it good, I can’t imagine. All I can think about after seeing any SW movie once is seeing it again. That’s why I finally have decided on 2 preview night screenings because I’ll just be on here talking about it all night if I don’t go back and see it again. May as well be seeing it :D

17. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    That's me with 99% of films.

Star Wars is one of the exceptions. And even then the max I've seen any Star Wars film in theaters is 3. I'm planning on breaking that record with TLJ, for a 4th, and likely final, viewing.

18. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I see so many films more than once. In fact half of my film viewings each year and probably rewatches.

19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Got my 9th viewing in today..

MarcJordan and Ricardo Funes like this.
  20. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Usually SW is all I see multiple times in theaters but last year broke that a bit - I saw Blade Runner 2049 twice in IMAX and Thor 3 three times in IMAX. I couldn’t resist haha

MarcJordan and Ricardo Funes like this.
  21. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Only twice so far. Would like to see it a 3rd time, but it's only being shown late at night or in the middle of the day. The first time I saw it was to a packed theatre with a round of applause at the end (unusual for a British audience - we're normally far too reserved for that sort of thing!). The second viewing was a month later on a Friday lunchtime and there were about 4 of us watching it. I squeezed that in before dashing off to see the Darkest Hour. I suspect I won't see it again now until I get it on Blu-ray which may not be until Christmas.

22. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Okay, so funny thing--- Just yesterday, I posted that I only saw it once, and didn't see the point in seeing it twice within a short time-span (see my post above.) Then last night, a woman I've been interested in sends me an email and asks if I feel like going to see The Last Jedi with her for Valentine's Day after work today. So, um, yeah... NOW I see a point in seeing it again. Viewing #2 tonight!

23. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
  24. BB-8 My Homework

BB-8 My Homework Jedi Knight

Feb 19, 2016
    Only five for me so far. Once it hits the discount theaters I expect I'll be able to get into double digits on my view count. I've been trying to make a "half-Bowen" on my view counts and succeeded for TFA and RO but I've been so busy this year I'll be lucky to get a "quarter-Bowen" view count for TLJ.

25. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Last/this year I saw Star Wars 7 times, Guardians 4 or 5 times, Thor 3 times, and King Arthur, Logan, Justice League, Fast and Furious, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman and Kong 2 times.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.