main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
  2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Here's a question:

Why does Kylo reference the Sith in his little speech to Rey about letting the past die? At that point in time the Sith have been extinct for (a millennium!) three decades. How much more "dead' can they get?

BookExogorth likes this.
  3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Honestly I think it's because of Snoke's obsession with the legacy of the Sith.

Supreme Leader Woke and Vialco like this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It's also useful to signify Kylo's dropping of his Vader vannabe shtick (which had me previously wondering why he hadn't declared himself a Sith).

5. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Ironically, it may have been out of respect for Grandpa's religion.

6. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    He does reference Vader in comparison to Kylo numerous times. Good point.

7. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Snoke was obsessed with the Skywalker bloodline, not the Sith. The new canon/PH has made a point over and over on how they are not Sith.
    I thought Kylo referencing the Sith was just one of the many situations of the movie's dialogue being written for the audience and not for the characters.

Dr. Steve Brule and Vialco like this.
  8. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Snoke is obsessed with Darth Vader which is why he wants a pet Skywalker. He wears a ring with a rock from Mustafar on it for chrissakes.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Hopeless and Vialco like this.
  9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I think it's being overthought here - it's a useful colloquialism for Kylo in that scene

BigAl6ft6 and BobaMatt like this.
  10. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I think what he's telling Rey is, "I don't want to be a Jedi, but it's not like I want to be Sith or anything either."

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis likes this.
  11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Well yeah, although it's broader: there shouldn't be Jedi, Sith, whatever, their toxic war is awful and ruins everything and produces monsters like me.

It's why I think the most interesting path for IX would be going full KOTOR II and having Kylo try to willingly lose his power by, well... killing the Force itself.

12. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Watched it again today, probably my last viewing before it leaves cinemas. Gotta say I’m loving it more and more with each viewing. Like Rogue One does in it’s final act, it really kicks into gear and fires on all cylinders once Rey/Finn/Rose are on the Supremacy and doesn’t stop until Skywalker fades into the Force. I love love love it!

But the reason I bring this up is something that surprised me. It was a matinee session on a Monday so kids are at school so the theatre was quite empty. I was lucky with a day off. Anyways just before the movie started this really old couple hobble in to the theatre. I thought they were lost and had accidentally walked into the wrong session and figured they’d realize soon enough.

Anyways the movie started and they didn’t budge. I got drawn into the movie and forgot all about them until the end when the credits hit and they stood up and clapped. It was something I’d expect at a midnight premiere not at a matinee at the end of its run. They must’ve really enjoyed it.

I have no idea if they were long time fans or just looking for something to watch but either way it was great to see people of all ages happy with the film.

13. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Went to see this for the second time in an IMAX theater. There's nothing like seeing a Star Wars movie in theaters, man.

Anyway, loved the film even more the second time I watched it. Loved it the first time but of course I had a few issues here and there that I didn't have the second time watching it. I got to just enjoy the film at that point.

--I wasn't as disappointed with the Battle of Crait this time around. I disliked at first that the Resistance didn't get a chance to put up a fight and at least take down an AT-M6, but the sequence is still gripping as it is.

14. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I’ll just leave this here

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    If I had just seen that and not the actual film, I would have thought TLJ was 75% Admiral Ackbar.

BigAl6ft6 and Sinrebirth like this.
  16. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Oh, if only we had gotten that Luke Skywalker. I miss Legends Luke.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I definitely would have cheered a bit louder for that. After all, Kylo did do the same thing, and size matters not.(although numbers might - but it's Luke so I bet nobody would care)
    However as cool as it would have been in the theater, I probably would look back on it as fan service and it totally would have ruined Luke's enlightened disposition compared to the prequel era Jedi Masters. He would have fought and killed, and in doing so would have repeated the mistakes of the Jedi of old.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    BigAl6ft6, Vialco and AndrewPascoe like this.
  18. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Instead of fighting and killing, he chose to do nothing. Kreia would have had a field day with him.

(Well, he did end up doing something, but you know what I meant.)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  19. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    How is it a mistake to stand up against evil and fight its minions? The only mistake the Jedi of Old made was not seeing the narglatch in shaak's clothing that had slithered its way into the highest office of the Republic. Are Jedi suddenly not allowed to kill?

20. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Violence perpetuates violence. The mistakes of the old Jedi are immense, varied, and critical.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So it is better to allow the evil to just walk in, kill everybody they don't like and take over to continue killing everybody they don't like while also taking away the rights of the people?

Vialco likes this.
  22. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    In what way is this a description of the Separatists, though? Especially since the Clone Wars begin on Geonosis when the Jedi and their troops just walk in, kill everybody they don't like, and take over.

23. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Battle droids aren't alive, so destroying them isn't exactly considered killing. But if you want an example of the Separatists being evil and killing innocents, look no further than the Battle of Maridun. General Lol Durd attempted to wipe out a peaceful colony of Lurmen. The only reason he didn't succeed in his massacre is because the three Jedi who'd crash-landed on the planet stopped him. By igniting their lightsabers and fighting back and destroying all the battle droids and capturing the enemy commander. If the Jedi hadn't fought and just stood there like Luke did on Crait, all the Lurmen would have died.

Gamiel likes this.
  24. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    How Jedi choose to win, the question is. - Yoda after the Clone Wars.
    The First Order can replace what it loses, just like the Empire could, so its not a matter of killing. Though Vader and Palpatine are exceptions to this, of course. Luke found a way for the light side to win without killing a bunch of those brainwashed FO cogs. Jedi can kill, but only in self-defense. Taking a battlefield command or running through a phalanx of First Order Walkers isn't exactly self-defense. It's going out and looking for a fight - being a warrior. Jedi are meant to be peace keepers, not warriors.
    In the prequels, the progression of the jedi away from this core belief is clear. We go from Qui Gon and Obi Wan negotiating trade and protecting the Queen of Naboo to Mace Windu leading a contingent of Jedi to threaten the Geonosians into releasing Obi Wan. Senator Amidala wasn't even captured when they launched that mission. And from there on, Jedi Knights became generals and their padawans commanders. So much for peace.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Princess like this.
  25. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    If the Jedi had not attacked Geonosis, would Durd have even been there?

If the Jedi had not become an army, would Durd have any need of a super-weapon?

If the Jedi had not fought but instead performed an act of Force prowess the likes of which had not been seen in recorded memory? Cuz THAT'S what Luke did on Crait, he was a true Jedi, using the Force "for knowledge and defense, never for attack."

But they didn't, they fought, and the episode ends with a Star Destroyer in orbit of the planet, and we already know that means our beloved Lurmen will be enslaved by the Empire in less than two years.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.