main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    luge was great - a U.S. medal and the first medal and gold medal for Austria! I'm sure the alpine ski delays have been frustrating for the athletes.

yankee8255 likes this.
  2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    those ice skaters are pretty damn great .

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, that was incredible to see her land it in competition, especially since it was being hyped before she took the ice. I mean, the mentioned it was like 550Lbs of pressure when landing the triple axel. And after she landed the triple axel, I was like, "don't fall!" as there were still quite a few jumps she had to do afterwards. I mean, I was holding my breathe for her to complete her performance without any mishaps. Glad she finished without any and had expressed quite a bit of emotions once she finished, as she was left off the team at Sochi.

It was cool of the Shib Sibs to take control of their own NBC featurette. Milennias are some much more advanced about video productions and presentations. It started out as a hobby, but now it could be somewhat of a profession.

And kudos to them for their performance as well. It was cool to see them with some emotions at the end of the performance as well.

Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir are like the Simon Cowell of figure skating commentary. I mean, they're like the commenting duo from Pitch Perfect. They would get Gold Medals if there was an Olympic sport of commentary. Not only are their comments colorful and brutally honest, but the are informative and insightful as they are able to break the very fine points of technical skating. Perhaps an Emmy next year.

Tweeter loves them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Sith_Sensei_Prime

The ironic thing about it all is Weir never even one a medal at the Olympics though I believe he medal once at the World Championships. Tara obviously won a Olympic Gold Medal (shocking the world in the process) but Johnny never did therefore he talked his way into his current role. Johnny essentially is the Chael Sonnen of figure skating. :)

Edit: And the only way Johnny & Tara can do the Masters (which I love to see) is if have the golfing announcers do figure skating. Imagine the trio of Sir Nick-McCord-Baker Finch doing commentary on figure skating. That be genius!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Weir was the best skater in the US for 3 consecutive years. Also, fifth in the one Olympics he made.

And, as we can see from Rippon's routine last night, there's even now still some crap given to openly gay male skaters. Soooooooo...

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I know virtually nothing about snowboarding but HOLY ****, Chloe Kim is amazing...

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    And yo... Shaun White is still the gold standard (probably literally), but that entire qualifying Men's Halfpipe round was unbelievable...

DarthIntegral likes this.
  8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Feel bad for Loch, though, he reallyblew a certain win. Would have been his third straight gold.

In other good news, alpine skiing finally underway, thrilled for Hirscher that he finally got his gold.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  9. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    The Downhill Delay of Weather happened at Nagano in 1998 so much that it got a mention at closing ceremonies... Very literally: "Have they run the downhill yet?"

10. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    20 years ago
    [​IMG]

Thanks to the weather problems, The Herminator came back and won 2 golds.

11. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    And Stina Nilsson from Sweden beats Falla from Norway to win the gold in the ladies cross country sprint.

Then on the other hand Kläbo was in a league of his own, while the best Swede ended up 5th in the men's sprint. Great to see Pellegrini win a silver though.

If I was Norwegian I would be a bit disappointed about the ladies though, despite two silvers. They are the dominant ladies cross country team, and you are used to having two or sometimes three at the podium, and it feels like they are not quite up to their usual standard.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Shaun White and 17 year olds. Geez.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's like "Okay, I'll drop a 94 just to coast into the finals... what? Someone jammed in a 97? No problem, I'll throw down a 98.5 and look like I still have more in the tank..."

o_O

14. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    USA women's hockey destroying OAR today. Whoop whoop!

15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Hirscher looked like he was doing his slalom in hurricane force winds. What a run.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I knew someone was bound to make this mistake...
    [​IMG]

And Chloe Kim just crushed the competition as everyone was trying to catch her in their final run, which may have lead them feel the pressure and make mistakes. Chloe on her final run, knowing that she had the gold in her back pocket, just went all out with no pressure and scored 98.25. She'll also felt she would be a representative of both the U.S. and Korea.

[​IMG]

Master_Lok and Pensivia like this.
  17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    So the United States now has two gold medal winners who will not be able to buy a beer in this country legally for another three years.

solojones likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    And they're still too young to get a drink in South Korea too.

So, there's alot of curling on the schedule tonight, along with some women's slalom, but I'll be looking forward to watching the men's halfpipe final with Shaun White looking to get another medal. I have some interest in the pairs figure skating.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Men's 1500M Speed-skating

Netherlands - Netherlands - South Korea
    Gold - Silver - Bronze

USA 8th, 15th, 19th
    Joey Mantia, Brian Hansen, Shani Davis

20. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
  21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    So clutch from Shaun!

Sith_Sensei__Prime and dp4m like this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Shaun White is absurd.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Rylo Ken like this.
  23. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I was way more nervous than I expected for White's 3rd run but wow, didn't need to be. That was fun.

24. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...have yet to see that third run, but I finally did see the first. Goodness.

25. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    White and Kim ftw literally.

Amazing to watch them both but White was more exciting since he wiped in run 2 and lost the lead to Hirano. Kim had it in bag before her final run. That last chance run had to be so nerve wracking. Can’t imagine the adrenaline rush he was probably feeling.