main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Dragon Ball

Discussion in 'Community' started by TiniTinyTony , Aug 13, 2015.

1. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    Nothing wrong with piracy. Sir Francis Drake was a pirate and he helped defeat the Spanish Armada... oh, wait, now I get it.

Dragon Ball? Never seen it. Sex crazed pigs seem to be a popular theme in Japan. Pigsy from Monkey Magic was always a bit of a perv.

SergeyX2017 likes this.
  2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Never seen Dragon Ball, loved DBZ, indifferent towards GT and I'm enjoying Super.

Though TeamFourStar's parodies are almost better than the actual anime.

cerealbox likes this.
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You two forgot the part where Gohan's powers flare briefly, hinting at his future potential while putting the villain back on his heels for one quarter of an episode.

I'll assume the omission was because you were only posting with 7% of your true power level.

SergeyX2017 and Lord Vivec like this.
  4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah i was only saying things instead of super saying.

SergeyX2017 likes this.
  5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh, yeah...I guess since I started with the American version I'm used to that, and then I see what they have in the Japanese version and I'm like "wtf..."

SergeyX2017 likes this.
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I had to eventually come back around on Dragon Ball because I liked it when I was a kid, got sick of it, then had to get really hipster about my superior taste in deep serious Japanese cartoons yo, then learned to appreciate it being goofy but entertaining.

I probably could not watch the proper, filler-stuffed original run of the show these days, however. I stick to the comics and Team Four Star.

Same pig, actually, technically, sort of, Journey to the West adaptationally.

JoinTheSchwarz and yeurgh like this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I get it.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  8. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    [​IMG]
    If you think about it, that Roshi is an old man sexually harassing a 16 year old girl... This definitely would not be on TV today lol

Ramza Edit: Nor are some of those allowed on the boards.

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Oh man I just knew we were due for a Sergey NSFW image dump and I can't believe I missed it!

Alpha-Red likes this.
  10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Think I'll continue this here instead, from the MCU thread.

Hey, I'm more of a Superman fan myself and haven't touched any DBZ in a long while...but if you've watched this series at all, these guys' powers are simply obscene. They make the Death Stars, Sun Crusher and Starkiller Base look like a joke. Master Roshi is one of the weakest characters, and he was able to blow up the moon...in one of the earliest story arcs. So yeah, I don't see how it's a contest.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Relative power arguments are kind of lame in general and should be outright avoided when comparing Dragon Ball to another property because Toriyama was fairly inconsistent and didn't take it that seriously. It's like worrying about environmental continuity in a Spielberg film.

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I never got into Dragon Ball, but I enjoyed some of Z. I hated the filler episodes where they would just power up for 22 minutes. The Cell saga was probably the most enjoyable, yet it's sad to see how powerful Gohan once was and where he is now. I couldn't get into the Buu saga so I stopped watching back then.

Fast forward to present day and the two DB Super movies have reinvigorated my interest in the series. I DVR the new Super episodes each Saturday and I'm looking forward to rewatching the new Freza saga and what comes beyond. I know Japan is way ahead so I'm trying my best to avoid those spoilers and enjoy the English dubs on Adult Swim as they become available.

Anyone watching the new Super series as well?

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm a fan of Dragonball. The current series is odd, but i still watch just to see how it plays out.

14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I can't believe I created this thread back in 2015 and now 2+ years later, we have 50 "Super" episodes in the US while they are 128 episodes that have aired in Japan. It appears that the current saga in Japan is pretty long and still going, but I don't want to discuss what I haven't seen as I'm attempting to stay unspoiled on the details of future episodes.

So concerning what has aired so far in the US:
    1) God of Destruction Beerus saga - I enjoyed the movie compared to the individual episodes as a single story, but I do recall liking the extra little details that the episodes showed compared to the movie that couldn't be 5 hours long.
    2) Golden Frieza - Again, I think the movie was good enough compared to the episodes, but I did appreciate the Piccolo sacrifice. It was nice to find out what happened to Captain Ginyu but since I didn't really watch a lot of DBZ, I was fine without in movie wise.
    3) Universe 6 - I found this to be pretty interesting. I liked the characters from the new Universe, especially Hit and the young Sayan. I didn't like Berrus's brother, but I did like that Berrus did something nice for him as his wish. If you watch the episode with subtitles on, you can see they are just speaking each word backwards. I was able to discern what he was doing before it happened.
    4) "Future" Trunks - really enjoying this series thus far and very curious on who Goku Black is. I love when time travel is involved, but I'm a little lost.

So I need a refresher. In the Cell Saga, Trucks came from the future to stop Cell from being created, but he gets created anyway. Eventually Cell is defeated and Future Trunks goes home. He returns to the future to find Frieza and his father who he easily dispatches now that he's more powerful and peace is restored to the future for the time being. Right? Are Future Trunks friends and family still alive or are they wished back with the dragon balls or something and then Goku Black shows up and kills everyone or is Future Trucks the only Sayan left a live in the future? If Bulma is a live, why isn't she searching for the dragon balls? Have they been destroyed?

So Frieza who is chopped into pieces in the Truck's Future is wished back from the dead in the current timeline so at this point has the current timeline caught up with the present because Frieze comes back in pieces and needs to be reassembled? I'm getting a little mixed up on the time travel aspect, especially when I don't have a clear memory of past events from DBZ.

Also, why is Truck's hair a different color. I'm assuming we'll learn why. Maybe he dyes it from purple to blue.

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'll stop you here because the answer is you secretly don't - they're winging it and by the end there are like 15 different timelines in play if you try to break it down. Contradictions are coming from that and only get worse as the Goku Black arc continues.

That said, they can't use the dragon balls in the Future Trunks timeline(s) because Piccolo died and they never thought to bring Dende or use the Namekian dragon balls because Toriyama was writing the Cell arc by the seat of his pants. Everything time travel related in the series is kind of "well this is a cool idea but none of the implications are thought through."

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Also, throw in that there are 12 different universes. Future Trunks who is visiting the 7th universe from his future could be from a future on a different universe so yeah it can definitely be hard to keep track of and easy for the contradictions to arise. It's like trying to follow CW's The Flash sometimes.

17. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The Goku Black saga is the one arc of DBS that I've missed. I'll probably go back and watch it when the series finishes after the Universal Survival saga and play catch-up. I'll miss Super when it's gone. Despite it's flaws it's been a fixture of my Sunday mornings. It's like I'm 12 again, only with extra coffee.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Super has been fun, but there are also more than a few times when I wish they had just left things alone. Beerus and Whis are fun characters, but I'm still ambivalent about the series as a whole. The future arc takes the time travel thing to ridiculous new levels too. After this last arc concludes, I'll see whether Super was a net positive or negative. So far the big tournament has been quite good though.

The manga version also helps a bit, sometimes having a arguably better version of events (both the show and manga are working off an outline from Toriyama or something like that).

19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Future Trunks saga

Future Trunks and Mai appear to return to their future where Zamasu and Goku Black are or will be finally defeated. The timeline is a little convoluted as mentioned above.

So with 9 more episodes in the Future Trunks saga, I'm not sure where the story will be going, but I guess there is a story they need to tell before going into the next new saga aka The Universe Survival Saga.

Good news, we're getting a new show, well I'm assuming Japan is and hopefully we'll be getting an English dub on AdultSwim once they finish airing The Universe Survival saga -- 55 episodes/weeks + 9 more episodes/weeks of the Future Trunks Saga so hopefully 64 weeks will be enough time to get the (dragon) ball rolling on Heroes.

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/06/21/dragon-ball-heroes-anime-trailer-watch/

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Ramza likes this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    We're going to get new Dragon Ball dubs until Sean Schemmel's larynx collapses, airing on television be damned. :p

I'm hoping our lord and savior (end of Super spoilers)
    Android 17
    gets to do some cool stuff in the new series. But generally the mere precedent of Goku's new, bigger number not being the only salvation of the universe is really exciting, even if the execution was flawed.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    PimpBacca likes this.
  22. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    So back in January I got back in to dragon ball when I discovered the the series where finally on dvd in the uk. And now I’m in deem to Supper just gotten to the Goku Black stuff and I’m super excited to see broly come in to cannon. I’m hoping they won’t kill him off.

New trailer

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Broly is almost inevitably going to say something other than "KAKAROOOOOOOOOOOT!" and I'm going to be so disappointed when he does.

24. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Yeah Broly wasn’t really done all that well in the past. Cool concept poor execution.

25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    So I got to see Broly today. It’s cool that he is officially canon. Overall, I enjoyed the film. It was a little light on story but there was a lot of action. I’m looking forward to a second viewing once it’s released on Blu-ray.

Unfortunately, since the movie takes place after the Super series (which ended in Japan but episodes in the states are still being dubbed), there were a few spoilers but nothing that came as too much of a shock.

Anyone else see it?