main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This is one of the best days of the year. Pitchers and Catchers are reporting in Goodyear, AZ.

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    With the current state of the Bulls and Blackhawks baseball can't get here soon enough.

Luke02 likes this.
  3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Crazy as it sounds, the Bulls have been more entertaining this year then the Blackhawks even though they been trying to intentionally tank all year. Levine is a baller, Kris Dunn as the potential to be really good and Lauri has the potential to be a true beast. That is a good way to start a rebuild especially with a couple first round draft picks in their pocket.

Edit: And there is nothing like watching pitchers and catchers report for ST with a foot of snow on the ground even though thankfully it’s start to melt.

The White Sox btw just signed a deal with WGN 720 AM. The idea of the White Sox on 720 AM just wants to make me throw up. Not that I hate the White Sox (I actually like the White Sox quite a bit as the 1993 White Sox is still one of my all-time favorite teams and to this day I am still upset the 1994 World Series got cancelled for so many reasons including the fact the 94’ White Sox vs the Expos that year would been one of the World Series matchups ever potentially) but the Chicago Cubs will always be linked to WGN in every possible. There was nothing like running off the bus in the spring or early fall to catch them on WGN with Harry and Steve or listening to them in the car on 720 AM. That and the Bozo Show was my childhood that is long forgotten. :(

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    cubman987 likes this.
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I thought they report in Florida (sorry, it's an East Coast thing).

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Why would the teams that play Spring Training in the Cactus League report in Florida?

6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah that just seems wrong. I had a little radio I took to school with me every day so I could listen to the end of home games on the bus ride home and then when I could drive WGN was the only AM station I had a preset for.

Luke02 likes this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    They don't, but the ones in the Grapefruit League do report in Florida for Pitchers and Catchers.

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  9. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    My cousin took me and my dad to this place back in the year 2000 it was a diner in a rough California neighborhood in Hayward California near Oakland. Apparently Jason Giambi had a burger here and after signed a photo for them to hang on the wall, the inscription read the best burger I ever ate! My dad, cousin and me all had one pound cheeseburgers, Milk Shakes, and we shared onion rings and french fries! we were suposed to go for a green pancake breakfast at the Firehouse in town the next day for St. Patrick's Day but we ate so much at the diner we felt so sick we felt like we had hangovers. so we did not do green pancakes.
    [​IMG]

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I remember staying up late for this. Lost my voice for at least a week.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Concerning walk-off grand slams...

So goddamned glorious, man.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    There really can't be many things more exciting in sports than a walk-off Grand Slam.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Apparently all we needed for the offseason to get going was for the offseason to end. Twins acquired Jake Odorizzi and the Padres signed Eric Hosmer. Not sure what the Padres are going to do with eight years of Hosmer, but there's no way that contract ends well for them.

Amazing.

14. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    So anyone else ticked off by this pace of play nonsense? I'm so sick of this catering to the short attention span of millennials. If you don't like or understand the game then don't watch it.
    The real problem is this constant going to the bullpen nonsense. Other than that, the pitcher and catcher have a right to meet as many times as they want to make sure they're on the same page.

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Once upon a time, people were complaining they didn't get enough baseball after having sat through about 5 hours of a scheduled double-header. The Times they are-a changin'

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Let's have anyone bat in the 9th inning!

Such a ridiculous ******* proposal; baseball isn't setup like the other sports, so boo-hoo if certain players have a chance in the 9th, depending on the circumstances.

17. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Wow that really is one of the most idiotic suggestions I've seen for baseball.

Luke02 likes this.
  18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah. That's stupid.

That said, I kinda want to see them do it in an All-Star Game or some exhibition, just to see the meltdowns.

19. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Yeah, I don't even worry about stuff like that because there's just no chance it'll ever happen, even if it's supposedly being "discussed by executives." Reminds me of Tom Verducci's suggestion a few years ago when offense was way down, his grand idea was that once per game, you could bring up any player in any situation to hit. Shocking no one, baseball fixed itself, like it always does.

Amazing.

20. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Dear everyone, there are actual baseball games happening today.

Amazing.

21. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm just a couple hours away from hearing those magical words......"Chicago Cubs baseball is on the air"!

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  23. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Ichiro is one of the greatest players ever. :)

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I liked Ichiro while he was briefly with the Yankees. I actually went to the Tokyo Dome to see a ballgame during my vacation in Japan in 2010. The Rakuten Golden Eagles, led by one of their young but highly touted starters (this guy by the name of Masahiro Tanaka) hosted the Chiba Lotte Marines. It was certainly an incredible experience; watching professional baseball being played by two Japanese teams surrounded by passionate fans of either. I found an old article that talks about it. RJ actually threw out the first pitch for good measure.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...s-struggle-to-get-back-on-mound/#.WpBcux3wbRY

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    My mom Is a Mets Fan and my dad likes both The Mets and The Yankees and I am a Yankees fan, I live on the west coast of Florida In Punta Gorda and this past Saturday me and my parents trekked to Port St Lucie Florida to see the Mets take on the Cardinals. My mom is reciprocating with me and seeing the Yankees at The Rays In Port Charlotte at the end of the month!

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.