main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Comics Thrawn #1-6 comic adaptation (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by iPodwithnomusic, Jul 21, 2017.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    As a famous sellsword once said, there are old Chiss, and there are bold Chiss, but there are no old bold Chiss.

Vthuil and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Next week is going to be sooo good. We're getting a new Vader issue and Thrawn!

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That art's an interesting style from Ross - looks like this could be another for the OHC buy list.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I’m delighted to report that this comic uses the EU version of the Emperor’s Throne Room, as seen in Shadows of the Empire and Mara Jade: By the Emperor’s Hand, among others.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  6. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Great first issue, and as Jello points out there are a couple of nice nods to the EU, though it's also great to see the new canon aesthetic, like the cadet uniforms from Rebels.

Though have we seen Palpatine's throne room in the Imperial Palace before, in current canon? The EU gave him several different designs, and I'm sure we've seen at least one more in canon so far?

7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The art and colors are really beautiful, and very personal. I'd like to see more of that in the future!

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, we’ve seen the throne room a lot in new canon. Darth Vader #1 established the look. It’s Palpatine’s ROTS office with his ROTJ windows. We’ve seen it in Freemaker too.

It makes sense for him to have multiple throne rooms. The previously established throne room is like a working office, this new EU-style one is better for audiences.

9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The only thing I regret about the depiction of the throne room is that we didn't see the garden located "at its side".

10. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Great first issue. Whenever Eli had dialogue, I read it in Mark Thompson's voice from the audiobook.
    I loved the panels in the throne room, but I too anticipated the gardens the most :(

11. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Glad I’m not the only one that was longing for a chance to see the throne room garden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supreme Leader Woke and spicer like this.
  12. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    After reading this suddenly I want more canon novels adapted into comics. I can't be the only one who'd love to see A New Dawn be remade by marvel?

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I know adaptations can sometimes be controversial but I really enjoy seeing my favorite SW books visualized in a comic.

14. Tassy

Tassy Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2017
    Why is everyone wearing gloves all the time? Even in their rooms!

15. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Easier to draw gloves than fingers, I assume -- that's the reason in animation, at least. Though there's at least one panel of Thrawn's big blue thumb.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

[​IMG]

17. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    They wear gloves only in the Imperial Academy, except for Commandant Deenlark. It seems to be part of the dress code there. Almost no one wears gloves in the jungle, on the Strikefast or in the Palace.

18. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Along those lines, I found it very neat that the depictions of both Anakin and Vader evoked their animated TCW/Rebels models.

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You're saying everyone in SW has ice powers and it's just never come up?

Chrissonofpear2 and vncredleader like this.
  20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The first one does resemble his old office in the Republic Executive Building quite a bit. Whereas this one is much more like the throne room on Death Star II. I may actually pick this up now. It seems considerably better than I had expected.

21. Tassy

Tassy Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2017
    I'm talking about the cadets in the academy obviously. It's just weird to eat wearing gloves or lay in the bunk wearing gloves. So uncomfortable! The difficulty of drawing hands is no excuse here.
    As for the rest of the comics, it is great. Thrawn is so beautiful, better than in Rebels.

22. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I wonder if it is a little poke at the cartoon, where we had Obi-wan wearing armor everywhere, and Bariss and Ahsoka asleep in full attire.

More important.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Did I miss a story? Where and when did Thrawn and Anakin Skywalker meet?

revan772 likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Offscreen during TCW.

It is possible that a later work (Thrawn: Alliances?) may actually show that meeting in flashback.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    We’re all hoping there’s a Vong connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk