main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How did 200+ Jedi arrive at the arena on Geonosis without attracting attention?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TheNewEmpire, Jan 17, 2018.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    It's a movie. Everyone has a flair for the dramatic.

Dooku never stated he wanted everyone to die at once. You just made that up.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He doesn't have to state his intentions. This again goes back to implication.

3. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    I know he doesn't have to. You also don't have to make anything up. [face_dunno]Are we just stating non-sequiturs now?

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Where am I making things up?

5. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Made up.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    How is that made up? He knew that the Jedi were coming and he had set a trap for them. He wanted all of them to die all at once. How is any of that made up?

7. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    It never happened.

8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Maybe Dooku wanted all the Jedi in the arena to die? Maybe he didn't? Doesn't really seem to affect the scene that much.

In one interpretation, Dooku's perfectly happy having dozens of Jedi blasted to pieces by the droids. In the other, he's ok with them getting away by being rescued by the Clones, as it's a good way to start the Clone Wars with the Clones showing to the Jedi that they can be trusted by saving them.

Having the arena event provides a nice juicy honey trap for the Jedi to walk into, which works out to sever either method of kicking off the conflict, gathering all the enemies together to wiped out or quickly rescued.

Either way, Dooku wins, and the movie doesn't come down on either interpretation.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    What never happened?

10. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    THIS. This never happened.
    There is no reason for him not to want them to die. The war was orchestrated to kill as much Jedi as possible before culminating in Order 66. This way there would be less stragglers (I'm coming from a Legends perspective here).

However @darth-sinister's claim that he spared Kenobi, Skywalker and Padme earlier because he wanted them all to "die at the same time" is completely fabricated and absurd.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Ah, I see now. You're misunderstanding.

DARTHLINK is referring to when Anakin, Padme and Obi-wan have climbed aboard the Reek and are trying to escape. They are surrounded by Droidekas and a few Geonosian warriors. The question is why didn't they open fire, to which I replied that Dooku knows the Jedi are right at that moment converging on the arena. He stalled so that the Jedi could get in place and then spring his trap on them. Dooku wants to kill them all together. It isn't absurd or fabricated.

12. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    No I understand perfectly, it never happened.
    It is. He never states this. You just made it up.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Martoto77 likes this.
  13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Again, where did I say that he said that?

14. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Ah, once proven wrong, let's play semantics on what terminology was used. So you're claiming then is again that only you have insight into what the character was thinking?

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It is based on what is established in the film. Dooku is waiting for the Jedi to show up. He has three prisoners who are to be executed. He has no other reason to wait other than he wants to wait for the Jedi to enter the arena and then roll out the Droid Army to kill all of them. If he didn't, he would have just killed all three prisoners in their cells and order the Confederacy to start blasting the skies as soon as the Jedi start their landing approach.

16. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    He has a CIS leader who wants them to die in a specifically brutal manner. That's a reason.

Martoto77 likes this.
  17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    DARTHLINK wanted to know why he would wait. I provided that reason. He wants them to die together. There's no other reason to wait to kill the three of them in the arena.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  18. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    I just gave you a reason that makes sense with the plot presented by the film. If he did want them to die altogether he wouldn't have put them in the arena to be killed by monsters.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He put them in the arena to be bait for the Jedi. That's why when Nute orders Jango to shoot her, Dooku tells him that she will die soon enough. He know that two Jedi will not simply be killed so easily. He also knows that the Jedi are coming. He allowed these public executions so that he could use them to spring a trap for the Jedi and eliminate everyone one at once. If he really wanted them to be dead, they would have been killed in their cells and the Geonosians put on alert for the approaching Jedi Fighters.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  20. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    The Jedi were already coming. Even if they were all dead, the Jedi were already coming.

Except he never states this. The war must drag on for Palpatine to continue to erode the constitution and gain more power. Winning the war right off the bat by killing all the Jedi in one swoop doesn't make sense.

I don't think he "really" wanted them dead. He didn't care. They would die now and spur the war; or they would survive and die later during Order 66.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    To come to the arena and not go into the Droid Factory or attack the parked ships.

212 Jedi went to Geonosis to rescue one Jedi. 212 out of 10,000. They could get away with that and wait for the Clone Army to show up.

Then why are we even arguing?

22. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    The Jedi were coming.

Get away with what? Dooku never states he wants them all to die at the same time.

Because you said Dooku wanted them all to die at the same time. This is just a theory by you, and never actually occurs in the film. I'm pointing out the difference.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Right, but they could go to after the ships or the Droid Factory. You want them to be in one place, you set a trap and the public executions is the trap.

Why does he have to state something, for it to be true? Explain that one to me. Dooku could kill 212 Jedi and still fight a war since there's 9,788 Jedi to fight a war against.

And yet, it occurs. He knows the Jedi are coming and he waits for them to enter the arena. He doesn't order the Droidekas to open fire. The Jedi walk into the arena and then, the droids open fire on everyone that's a Jedi. How hard is this to understand?

24. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    The war hasn't started yet. The Jedi do not want to be the ones to start it by pre-emptively shooting at the CIS. This makes no sense.

Because otherwise, it's made up. For instance I could say "Dooku is starting the war because he is angry that his dog died." This is never DISPROVED by anything in the film, but it is ALSO never confirmed. We can't just make up stories that aren't DISPROVED by the film and act like they actually happened. You can enjoy it in your own personal fan fiction perspective; but to discuss it as if it actually happens in the film is dishonest.

No, you just made it up.

It is not confirmed whether or not he knew the Jedi would be coming. This is also made up.

The droids fire until he tells them to stop. Then they fire when he tells them to fire. Also the droid army was mianly B1's and SBD's.

Nothing about this is hard to understand. This one sentence ACTUALLY occurred in the film.

25. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    The war hasn't started yet. The Jedi do not want to be the ones to start it by pre-emptively shooting at the CIS. This makes no sense.

Because otherwise, it's made up. For instance I could say "Dooku is starting the war because he is angry that his dog died." This is never DISPROVED by anything in the film, but it is ALSO never confirmed. We can't just make up stories that aren't DISPROVED by the film and act like they actually happened. You can enjoy it in your own personal fan fiction perspective; but to discuss it as if it actually happens in the film is dishonest.

No, you just made it up.

It is not confirmed whether or not he knew the Jedi would be coming. This is also made up.

The droids fire until he tells them to stop. Then they fire when he tells them to fire. Also the droid army was mianly B1's and SBD's.

Nothing about this is hard to understand. This one sentence ACTUALLY occurred in the film.