main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams To Score Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Articulate, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I think Williams' scoring for the ST so far has been some of the best work he's done and I look forward to hearing how he caps off the saga musically. I do hope he creates a concert version for one of the themes he introduced in TLJ, though. I know he blended the Rose and AchTo themes together into a concert piece, though, which was nice :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Jair Crawford likes this.
  2. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
  3. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes!!! This is fantastic news! Personally I feel like much of his work on the ST so far has been misunderstood and under appreciated. TFAs soundtrack had to grow on me a tad but TLJs soundtrack gelled with me almost instantly. The way he developed and expanded his themes from TFA into TLJ is simply masterful.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s sad to think this might be his last Star Wars score

5. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I hope the final track of 9 is epic on the scale of, say, the Dragonheart theme. I want it to blow our collective minds! [face_praying][face_love]^:)^

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Really, now? I don't doubt you, but would you mind giving time stamps? I didn't hear that at all, and I've been listening to the OST obsessively

7. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    This makes me truly sad. JW is, in my opinion, the greatest Late 20th Century/Early 21st Century composer. He'll be mentioned with Mozart, Bach, Tchaikovsky etc in the future. His music is something truly transcendent.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Baron_Papanerd, sethg, G-FETT and 3 others like this.
  8. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    It's a true honor to be living in the era of John Williams and to have his gift for a lifetime. To have him round out the saga is amazing.

9. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    It's not so sad to me. Not too long ago before the Disney acquisition, Revenge of the Sith was the final Star Wars score and the likelihood of any new ones seemed unlikely. I would never have guessed we'd have gotten an entire trilogy of Star Wars scores (+ a spin-off theme for Han Solo). All Williams scores since 2010 or so have been wonderful bonus entries in Williams' career.

Mystery Roach, sethg and miasma like this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It is up their with some of his best work, but so many Star Wars movies have amazing scores.

11. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I'd love to hear a few new themes of leitmotifs.

I was hoping the Porgs would get one.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  12. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    I can already imagine how cute a Porg's theme would sound like. :)

13. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Duel of fates for Rey vs Knights of Ren and epic brand new score for Rey vs Kylo

14. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    That's my one "gripe" about the TLJ soundtrack...I of course have fallen into the trap of comparing the ST scores to the OT scores where they fall in line in the Saga. TFA seemed on par with ANH, introducing a new iconic theme for Rey, the First Order/Kylo Ren, and the March of the Resistance. TLJ did not measure up to its middle installment companion, ESB, but that's a very, very high standard to reach. From Yoda's Theme and Hyperspace, to Battle in the Snow, Departure of Boba Fett, Han Solo and the Princess, Lando's Palace, and lets not forget the Imperial March...IMO the best score in film history. So many iconic moments. TLJ just didn't seem to provide anything "new." It was largely retread from TFA and the OT. Don't get me wrong, it's a great score, but I was hoping to have that "THIS IS THE NEW IMPERIAL MARCH" moment, and that didn't happen. To be frank, my favorite bit of the score is during Battle of Crait with the callback to ANH with Han/Luke shooting down TIEs as they escape the Death Star.

I was just a little underwhelmed...but I think it's just me. Still a great score.

11-4D, Force Smuggler and DarthHass like this.
  15. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I too felt a bit underwhelmed but I have found some of those outstanding musical moments -- the battle of Crait/main title escape, rebellion reborn, holdo's resolve and the fathiers -- not iconic or memorable at first but definitely recognizable themes in the new movie.

I'm just glad that the score for TFA wasn't re chopped for this movie.

I felt attack of the clones was missing a good clone wars battle music and instead we got the droid March from the phantom menace

cwustudent and Luke'sSeveredHand like this.
  16. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Give me a new theme for Reylo or I'm walking out.

DarthHass and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  17. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I vote for using some of the great love themes in cinema history.

Let's play can you feel the love tonight or something!

18. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    If the KoR are in 9, I hope they get their own theme. I like Kylo's theme, but I think it should be just for him & the KoR should get their own.

Howard Hand, Siphonophore and 11-4D like this.
  19. BalanceOfTheForce

Dec 18, 2016
    Insert force theme X 100

20. BalanceOfTheForce

Dec 18, 2016
    If that's the direction they go in there will definitely be a Reylo theme

21. Skylo_92

Skylo_92 Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2018
    Only real disappointment of TLJ soundtrack I had was that JW didn't expand upon that fusion of Luke & Rey's themes that he seemed to be introducing at the very end of TFA's end credits.

22. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    I think you mean the Jedi Steps theme. It was used a couple of times in TLJ, most noticeably right after the first time they cut to Ahch-To after "where's Rey?"

As much as I loved TLJ's score, and I do absolutely love it, I have to agree with you that I wish this theme was used a bit more in the film. However, I can't really complain when JW added a brand new Ahch-To theme to the mix including a distinct theme for Luke while he's on the island - which is one of my favorite pieces of the soundtrack.

Skylo_92, Kalmanta and Lost_Hope like this.
  23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  24. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Enjoy it, people. We're seeing the end of an era. Greatest late 20th/early 21st century composer. Williams will be mentioned with Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky.

25. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    jaqen and Darth Smurf like this.