main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    It's Salvador Larrocca. I sincerely doubt he knows the difference. He just googles "star destroyer" or "Asian woman" and starts tracing.[​IMG]

2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  3. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    Just for fun, I'll share the artist's blog on ArtStation.[/QUOTE]

At least the siege breaker does like interesting.

Yeag It has happened before and most likely will again. Just take a look at this TIE Hunter from the Thrawn's Revenge mod and compare it to the drawing in the Imperial Handbook. The worst aspect is that this model is a pretty liberal interpretation of the Hunters design and doesn't really look that much like the original Rebel Strike model. If they do something like this, can't they at least be supplied by the original models or ask to use them?

I beg to differ. While of course there are obviously covers that shouldn't be taken seriously at all, quite a few covers actually are just representations of single scenes from the comics, maybe somewhat exaggerated. Then we have the covers that are just the comic equivalent of movie posters, displaying the main cast. And last but not least there are a few covers, that actually support the plot. I do agree however that for example in this case you don't have any information supporting the appearance of the ships. So it doesn't tell you anything beyond confirming it's existence.

Regarding the VicStars themselves, the closest one even comes with the communications tower on top of the bridge tower. There might even be the rear targeting globe. But it's hard to tell. However if the artist wanted to get more ImpStars into the cover, he could have easily mirrored the existing ones for a more uniform approach.

As I wrote above, covers shouldn't always be interpreted too strictly, but I can't think of any reasons why Leland Chees "when it appears it is identified by it's legends designation unless stated otherwise"-rule wouldn't apply here.

Point taken. However someone could always ask him about it on twitter just to be sure. But I don't have an account there and haven't planned to register.

vncredleader likes this.
  4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Thing is: what's the point of depicting a specific ship on the cover of you're not even going to use it in the comic itself?

5. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    How often do cover artists even read the comic they're doing the artwork for? My understanding is that it's usually a completely separate process.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I remember some fairly hilarious mismatches between cover and strip in the Marvel SW era, especially for the ANH strips.

7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Fair. I would assume maybe it was a matter of him not wanting to just draw three ISDs so he spruced things up since thematically having a Vicstar there fits the general plotline

8. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I LIKE the Siege Breaker as a design and I'd love to see a frontal view of it, but bust down mountains? Your regular ISD was able to do that, with extreme precision. They're really turning established in-universe tech as being 'whatever fits the plot' and I don't like that.

9. TheRedBlade

Mar 17, 2007
    I'm pretty sure the Darksaber superweapon looked like a giant lightsaber because Kevin J. Anderson really wanted to name a book Darksaber.

Remember that ground vehicles can somehow penetrate shields that would defend against an orbital bombardment. If a theater or planetary defense shield was located on a mountaintop, having a big gun to undermine that mountain could be pretty handy.

Also remember that this is the First Order we're dealing with here. Their entire aesthetic over-the-top, mean-looking Imperial cosplay. A superweapon tank is entirely up their alley.

10. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The same image is used at the end of the issue, when Vader smashes the glass. All these ships have the Victory-style antennae and side-flaps. Because the artist is lazy and copy-pastes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That may be rooted in the move toward "atmosphere messes up bombardments from orbit a bit" - seen in Rebels Season 3 finale and also the Thrawn novel.

Jedi Knight Fett and TheRedBlade like this.
  12. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I've been fascinated by the Ark Angel ever since it appeared in the 2015 Darth Vader comic series. Here's a really nice look at it from the Star Wars: Destiny card game.
    [​IMG]

13. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Easily the worst ship design in new canon, and that's including the low-energy color-inverted First Order TIE fighters.
    Of course, again, this is the one thing Salvador Larocca had to come up with on his own instead of tracing.

I have to admit that more "realistic" drawing of it does it far better justice than Larocca's "art", but there's really only so much you can do with a lost cause like him.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  14. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Agree to disagree. I like it because it is very unique.

TK-421 Is vader and TheRedBlade like this.
  15. TheRedBlade

Mar 17, 2007
    I like it, but it must be a nightmare to find a parking space with that beard on it.

16. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    What other ships are there that are on par with the ISD or MC80??

17. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    On par with what precisely? Looks and design originality/iconicity? Size? Military capabilities?

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Jedi Knight Fett and TheRedBlade like this.
  19. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Military capability....and from the same era. It seems like everything else out there is smaller and therefore not something that could go one on one with them.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Tyber Zaan's Aggressor-class Star Destroyers maybe? I think they're supposed to be comparable in size and capability to ISDs and MC80s.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I know about that one...and don;t get me started on the gimmicky nature of it. And the Dauntless class was 1200 meters and could possibly be put in the same class as well.

But overall there are not really that many that I can think of.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If we stretch "era" a bit - the battleship-version Lucrehulks might qualify as occupying the Star Destroyer role - and the Rebels managed to obtain a Lucrehulk - though I'm not sure if it was a battleship or a freighter with hangars (Death Star novel shows them using it).

The Invincible-class battlecruisers used by the Corporate Sector are another possible example - bigger than ISD, but weaponry is a bit outdated, so may be ISD-level rather than "Anaxes system battlecruiser" level.

23. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I've been reading through Dark Empire and I couldn't help but notice this.
    [​IMG]
    What a strange idea. How would this work? Would it work well?

Nom von Anor and Daneira like this.
  24. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Is that in atmosphere or in space? If it's in space, maybe there's some sort of shield around it to keep the air in, and the hull is magnetized to keep the ships attached. Obviously Cam Kennedy just wanted to draw an aircraft carrier.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  25. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    It does seem really efficient for holding ships. A conventional carrier wouldn't have as much room with interiors. The big flaw, though, is if the shields pop then the fighters are super exposed. But in all honesty the conventional hangar shares most of the flaws of this one. I always wondered if a good concentration of ion cannon fire could bring down a hangars air seal thingy. That would be bad for the poor pilots.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    King of Alsakan and Daneira like this.