main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oversaturation of the Film Franchise

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by ForcePushUp, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    I'm fine with the one a year that they announced with from the get-go. Annual Star Wars has even become a Christmas tradition for my family (which is sadly going to end this year thanks to Solo). Clearly there have been some issues on that front as both Rogue One and Solo have suffered with director issues but at least Rogue One succeeded quite strongly despite that and so did The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. We'll have to wait and see on Solo. I'd only be worried if we moved into a Marvel-like situation where they have three to six movies out in one year.

Star Wars is so lacking in the TV department that I don't really care how little or how much they make. I just want something good.

Sarge and Ricardo Funes like this.
  2. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    I am not concerned about "oversaturation", per se.

My concern is that, in creating new content, for whatever medium, Disney will continually attempt to contort Star Wars to appeal to, what they would call, new audiences. In my opinion, Lucas did an excellent job of setting up a universe that inherently appears to a large swaths of the population. Disney should embrace this foundation, run with it and keep Star Wars true to Star Wars. The viewers will come in droves, as they have for decades, so long as Star Wars is still Star Wars. It is much more likely, however, they will attempt to move in directions specifically for the purpose of attracting new viewers. Actions in this vein will likely alienate viewers like me.

begin side note - I can already hear the ubiquitous "yeah but" arguments (talk about oversaturation, lol)... So, before anyone says anything: No. I do not mean that I think that Star Wars should not expand, grow and evolve. I absolutely want new, compelling Star Wars content. In fact I can think nothing I want more. I simply mean that expansion, growth and evolution should always be organic and natural to the Star Wars universe and not based on the misguided notion that Star Wars is old and broken and requires an injection of short sighted gimmicks in order to "remain vital". - end side note

For me, Star Wars has been an anomaly. It is one of very few things in pop culture that I have sincerely enjoyed. 99% of that which is presented and/or touted as "best film of the year" or whatever is, to me, crap. I wouldn't want to prevent anyone else from enjoying this 99%; I simply do not enjoy it myself. Further, I would never say to someone that enjoys the other 99% that the content they enjoy should be more like Star Wars. Likewise, I dont think Star Wars should be more like the 99.99999%.

I dont care about saturation so long as Star Wars remains true to Star Wars. As long as this is the case, I will take the good (ESB) with the bad (AOTC) and continue to say more Star Wars is better than less Star Wars.

DarthHass, Krueger and Sarge like this.
  3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Here's the truth. Lucasfilm has gone from dictatorship to industry.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Amen.

TV is important to create new fans, including children.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "The workers control the means of production!"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Over saturation? Bah! Gimmie 1 new movie about a Star War a month, I sez!

Force Smuggler and rorow1 like this.
  7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I may be more concerned if they eventually move to two a year. Star Wars and Marvel are very different beasts, IMO. Marvel can get away with it more, I think.

However, an idea I saw touted on this website in another forum is Disney and Lucasfilm can get around this by maybe releasing their main "big" one in the cinema, and then release a slightly "smaller" one on Disney's soon-to-be-up-and-running streaming service. So, you will essentially have two SW films a year, but only one will actually see theatrical release. It’s a possibility I can see coming to fruition, IMO.

DarthHass likes this.
  8. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    As long as the films are good and I enjoy them then I'm not really bothered by how many they release. I've spent the years after Jedi wishing they'd do some more films and here I am as an adult getting those childhood wishes come true. Arguably Hollywood is probably better set up now to produce film franchises like this on a more regular basis. We would never have had one film a year back in the day, especially because of the size and resources of Disney too.

BigAl6ft6 and wobbits like this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I hope they do not. Some of the most interesting SW content has come out of TV in recent years. I would hate to see that Medium go to waste.

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Art is a dictatorship. Products are an industry. So yes, you're quite right.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  11. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    It won't feel saturated as long as each movie brings something new to the table, and expands the mythology of the Star Wars universe. I would like to emphasise strongly on the quality so that all of these movies coming are solid in all aspects.

It would have been saturated if Disney had continue with Episodes X, XI, XII, and on and on. However, we are getting a fresh trilogy designed and produced from the down up from Rian Johnson and another series of Star Wars movies which will not be connected to neither RJ's trilogy ror the Skywalker saga ( which I hope is a clean slate as well, and is about the old Republic since Disney wiped out the EU to make their own ).

These new movies are purposely to be made to expand our galaxy far, far away, as just like us on Earth, we have more than 7 billion people, with each having a different story to tell of our own, either in the past, present or future.

If done well, this will be the best thing we, Star Wars fan, could asks for. :) Let's stay positive, and let's hope them in Lucasfilm are taking this chance responsibly to expand and reinvent Star Wars.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Krueger and AndyLGR like this.
  12. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    The MCU shows no signs of slowing down at the box office, though. I guess Disney think that if annual movies work for Marvel it must work for SW. Which is questionable.

13. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I just remember how it feels thinking that there were not going be any more films after ROTJ. There was a huge time gap with no Star Wars at all. I am really excited for the new content (loved R1 and can't wait to see Solo) and hope that they will be great stories. Marvel isn't my main fandom but I do love the films and haven't had any issues with seeing Marvel several times a year in the theater.

14. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    If every movie tries to escalate like TLJ, it won't be long till the franchise runs out of breath. I'm extremely worried when i see how SW has "Jumped the Sharks" with that movie.

We got no less than 5 new Force abiilities* in just one movie : can you imagine how long the list of Force-powers would be if each movie added that same amount ? And at that rate, how long till we get Invvisible, Time-traveling Jedis fighting Shapeshifting Fire-breathing Siths ?
    1. Force-Projection
    2. Force-Skype
    3. Lightning Call
    4. Shutting yourself from the Force
    5. Force Ghost directly affecting the physical world
    And i don't even count Luke's levitation or Leia-Popins.
    Over-exagearation was everywhere, even in tthe most "mundane" events (ex:: wasting the imposing new Dreadnought for the opening battle, Rey shooting 3 Tie-fighters in a single shot when she appears on Crait or Luke fishing with a 100 meters pole ... without the Force !).
    And i haven't mentionned the ridiculously high number of Star Destroyers blown up during the lightspeed ramming...

Someone needs to pump the brakes ASAP: the saga won't last long if it keeps relying so heavily on exageration and visual escalation. The currrent rate is simply not sustainable...

But looking at some of the visuals in the Solo trailer, i'm worried SW will continue its ""Transformers-isation"...

{Quantum/MIDI} and V-2 like this.
  15. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I agree, I think. It will depend a bit on how it's done. To me SW was special, because it really was when the movies came the first time. Seeing the prequels 20 years after was even more special because it had been so long since the OT came. So I'm split in that matter. To me the trilogy of trilogies was special in itself and after Episode IX that era will have come to an end. On the other hand I liked Rogue One and it was somehow acceptable as an "extra" movie since it wasn't really a part of the saga. It was more a regular sci-fi/fantasy movie from a well known universe.

So I think it will be OK if they stick to more or less stand alone movies and don't intend to create a new saga, because that would be all wrong. One per year is enough, though.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't feel fatigue or oversaturation will happen-as long as they expand horizons and try to focus on introducing us to new things.

Would we get SW fatigue if we keep seeing nothing but TIE fighters and X-Wings battling eachother endlessly, with a single force sensitive individual somehow saving the day against the galaxy's worst with little training over and over again (as we have so far)? Certainly.

17. Gerald's Game

Gerald's Game Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2017
    Oversaturation seems to be creeping in. The tolerance of the public has increased to comic book cinematic universe oversaturation.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  18. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Oversaturation occurred decades ago in many people's eyes. Star Wars has imposed itself on the culture in so many ways that we'd be happy to exchange some of them for a few more good Star Wars movies during that period.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  19. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Never enough Star Wars! I think the movies on streaming is brilliant.

I'm gonna quote kylo on this -- MOAR!!!!

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    There have been countless books, comics, games, and tv series', etc. since 1991. A movie a year is too much? From 1995 to 2008 there were 10 novels a year. Not sure about comics. But usually multiple comics a months from the mid 90's to the present.

There are 14 Billion years of history before the movies to be told and trillions of years afterwards. The Sky is the limit.

Some will work, some will not. If one doesn't work, all you have to do is wait a year until the next one to get something different. And not 3 years like in the old days.

Martoto77 likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree, but I think there is a difference between comics and books and movies.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe. Or people should expand their horizons a bit.
    Get used to stories not by GL and more than one story a year.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    True enough.

24. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Don't be too sure.

The movies cost millions of dollars to produce, promote and distribute, compared to the peanuts paid to EU writers/artists/etc and the relatively tiny outlay for books and comics. A book or comic can fail and the costs absorbed and offset by profits elsewhere, and they can be efficiently targeted to a niche audience who will buy pretty much any old rubbish. If a movie fails it casts doubt on the success of subsequent ones - hell, if a franchise fails to sell enough toys and lunchboxes it can be classed as a failure these days.

What I'm saying is the old EU could (and did) absorb an awful lot of shoddy failures (commercial and artistic/creative) that movie audiences (and financiers) are much less forgiving of. The bubble will inevitably burst, and mainstream SW will need to take a long break.

It's also true that the more SW films they make, the more sets and props and costumes can be reused, so there may be a way of surviving budget cuts resulting from the odd bad box office performance, but a string of two or three underperforming movies would probably kill the franchise for a while, or at least push it into digital on demand niche obscurity.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018