main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit One Canon - Merging Legends and the New Canon - TFA spoilers, very much so

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 8, 2016.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Assuming you've read the book,
    Norra and Brentin Wexley = Iella and Diric Wessiri.
    Not exact, but close enough to be fun and noteworthy.

Although the thing is, though, that with this - and also with Phantom Squadron, IMO, being a clear nod to Wraith Squadron - it's actually a bit tricky for a 'One Canon' project because you effectively have to reconcile the same plot point repeating twice. (And come to think of it, Dark Disciple has the same thing with Quinlan Vos, though in that case I don't find it much of an obstacle because I disliked the book and prefer not to think of it as any kind of canon).

spicer, PCCViking and Raab Katarn like this.
  2. Raab Katarn

Raab Katarn Jedi Padawan

Feb 3, 2018
    Ah! I see what you mean -- a parallel in terms of... well being parallel to the old Legends stuff but not being the same. I'm a bit of a dummy. For some reason, I saw "parallel" and thought of it as "intersecting" like there were nods to the old books taking place at points without being overt references. Timothy Zahn mentioned that there were references like that in his new Thrawn novel without just coming out and directly referencing the Legend stories.

Yeah, I mean... we're going to eventually have a story between ESB and ROTJ that may very well have a number of similarities to Shadows of the Empire. Once that starts to happen, it sort of becomes "yeah okay, so which version did you prefer more?" Same with stuff regarding Obi-Wan training under Qui-Gon, Anakin training under Obi-Wan, and so on. You can shuffle dates around for a time, if it helps (i.e. Obi-Wan & Anakin works in conjunction with the Jedi Quest series and Rogue Planet but the dates need to be adjusted -- but as soon as a story comes out that somehow directly contradicts the events, not just the placement... then it gets a lot trickier. For instance--it's one thing to have to shove a lot of the old Clone Wars multimedia project novels, comics, etc. into the first few months of the first year of the War; it's even harder to reconcile the wildly different ways in which Ventress leaves Dooku, for example because while you can shuffle dates around, without some fan fiction to fill in the blanks, there's a huge plot hole which makes you go "huh??"

I have not read Dark Disciple yet. As a huge Quinlan Vos fan, I've been wanting to for awhile. I'm actually woefully behind on the new Canon. Once I do, I'll be able to comment on that better. If I despise it, I'll stick to the Republic comics and his one off appearance in TCW. If I end up liking it but there are too many inconsistencies, I'll try to see about writing a short story for myself, if possible.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’m mildly pleased that the thread answers questions for me. Brilliant.

I’m working on Dreadnaughts of Rendilli, but I don’t presently own much of the Vos saga so I’m working on it.

At very least -
    Vos survives Order 66 in both continuities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raab Katarn likes this.
  4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    So in the Requiem for a Rogue arc of the X-wing comics, Wedge is shot down and is healed by Sith magic. Later, the Sith temple that was the source of the power gets destroyed. So we can easily assume that Wedge being healed did not last after the destruction of the temple. In a wonderful coincidence, the Legends version of the Liberation of Kashyyyk, from Galactic Battlegrounds, happens right after this arc.

So here's my Wedge timeline.

Aftermath
    X-Wing comics through Requiem for a Rogue
    Wedge is sent back to Chandrila to recover - Rogue Squadron, without its commander and already low in numbers, temporarily disbands
    Aftermath: Life Debt - Wedge forms Phantom Squadron, which is then disbanded by the NR.
    Rogue Squadron reforms, remainder of X-wing comics, Rogue Squadron disbands again. Wedge is assigned to NR base on Chandrila
    Aftermath: Empire's End

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  5. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I addressed this sometime ago. I can't find the post but I basically said the Hands are a diverse group. Pilot Marek Stele, Director Blackhole, the assassin Mara Jade. I think Hands in general were Palpatine's most trusted individuals, assassins or not. Saxon could definitely fit in.

6. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Yes, it is indeed a diverse group, you are right. The thing that mostly doesn´t work for me, is that I have no knowledge of Gar Saxon being Force sensitive, and that (and their devotion to Palpatine) is pretty much the common ground for all Hands. If Gar Saxon is not a Force user, why aren´t Tarkin or Thrawn a Hand too? On the other hand, if he is, isn´t this supposed to be a very secretive position? why would he go around saying: "I´m the Emperor´s Hand" to the likes of Clan Wren?

To me it really sounds like he was bragging about an important (and rather ceremonial) title he was awarded... but I get what you mean, and I agree: Saxon is still very much in retcon territory if they wanted to link him with Legends Hands. Maybe he IS a Force user, or maybe Tarkin is a Hand, etc; my conclusions are only based in what we know so far...

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  7. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Saxon still wouldn't work because as far as we know, he's not Force Sensitive. Maarek Stele, Blackhole and Mara Jade all were Force Sensitive, as well as trained in the use of the Dark Side.

Ithorians likes this.
  8. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Last names even sound slightly similar. And thanks for that! That plot point completely escaped my attention.

9. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    With all the new tie-in material for Solo announced, (books, comics etc) these may be easier to fit into One Canon than the film itself will be. Obviously the new material will reference film events. However, if we go by my retcon that the film is a holofilm, then the most EU-breaking elements of the film could be ignored. When they are referenced in tie-in works, it could be retconned as part of an inside joke/game that Han and Lando are playing--the new holofilm is out, and they act like those events actually happened as part of their charade to provide authenticity to the film (which they are getting a cut of the profits in-universe).

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Works for me @sidv88

Wasn't there several Han Solo holo-films mentioned by Jae Jun in DNT?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    History vids. Juun was quite the fanboy.

PCCViking and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I think in LOTF and FOTJ, or about holovids in general on the Big Three and friends.

13. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Edit: DP, sorry

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Even as early as Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. It was implied that the investigation Luke asked Geptun to conduct would turn out to be more of a holovid, much to his disgust.

15. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Han is stated to have neen paid for Han Solo and the Space Pirates of Kessel in this book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

PCCViking likes this.
  16. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Of all the weird things Lando has done in the EU post-ROTJ, producing a highly fictionalized film about himself and Han seems like the most hilarious. You can even say Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover are in-universe actors playing the "real" Han and Lando.

17. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    How are we going to explane what happen to his wife and son, when the time comes for his fate. I say he hide them so Vader wouldn't go after them.

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well he has descendants in Legacy so someone survives somewhere.

19. lotrswxmen8

lotrswxmen8 Jedi Padawan

Jan 29, 2018
    So apparently Shaaki Ti has been confirmed to have been killed while meditating in the Jedi temple during Operation: Knightfall in cannon (via the Star Wars galactic atlas, here’s the quote “Though a skilled and cunning warrior, she was killed by Darth Vader during the Jedi Purge as she meditated in the temple.”) And it isn’t just her death that is the problem when regarding one cannon, it’s where she was in the temple. Via the Star Wars the Force Unleashed databanks we learn that (in legends) she fought alongside the rest of the Jedi and helped others escape into the Coruscant underworld before leaving herself. While it seems in cannon she sat and meditated and recorded a message on a holocron and was then killed. Of course we could just ignore this description but if we do I ask what does one cannon draw the line at for things that can just be brushed aside? If we don’t ignore this description then how does this work?

20. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Just retcon the story of The Force Unleashed out of all continuities like it should be :p

quinlan solo and Daneira like this.
  21. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Aheheheh. For an objective NuCanon I'd take this approach: We have a contradiction. An important plot point in an important game vs. a deleted scene and a line in a book. I say TFU gets to stay.

22. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Just keep the characters but not the story that goes along with them. Create a new better story to go in place that also doesn't contradict nucanon :p

23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    To be honest, Shaak Ti has died like five different ways already. I don't see this being much of an issue.

quinlan solo and Sinrebirth like this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    She was also killed by Grievous in one deleted scene. I’m disinclined to accept a deleted scene over the narrative, as a rule. That’s me of course.

I appreciate the mileage varies dramatically on the Force Unleashed.

25. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Does that mean she went to make a bargain with Dormammu? :p