main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams directing Episode IX Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by 2Cleva, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    But I do think they'll get a writers credit in the end, just as Arndt did for TFA.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Lulu Mars likes this.
  2. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  3. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Episode IX gets delayed to May, 2020. I actually hope they do. I think JJ needs the time to get the script right, and I think Kennedy and LFL are more concerned about some of the fan backlash and a 48% score on Rotten Tomatoes for TLJ than they let on publicly.

I also think announcing the GoT guy's series now was a way to divert attention from Johnson's announced trilogy post-TLJ. LFL won't be shining light on Johnson now for a long while, letting the dust from TLJ settle. I bet the next thing we hear about his trilogy is more than a year from now...before we hear from Johnson again we'll get confirmation of the Obi-Wan film and more details of when we'll get the first GoT team series film, which will arrive before Johnson's first film.

With the IX director change and Carrie's death, no one is going to complain about them taking an extra 5 months to get things just right for the end of this saga.

June might happen as a start date as originally planned, but I'm going to say that gets pushed to August and the extra time into 2020 gives them more flexibility to schedule any and all re-shoots they need. [face_thinking]

4. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    The December 2019 date is already a delay from May 2019. More than enough time to do whatever he wants.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    They are shooting this summer.
    Sets, alien costumes and so forth
    are probably being designed and built now. CGI is being CGI'd.

Maybe the script is still being tuned, but the general plot is sorted out.

Strongbow likes this.
  6. TheFastJedi

TheFastJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2017
    This is from the recent release on Starwars.com:

"It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi."

If the goal of Lucasfilm had been as you state, to "divert attention from Johnson's announced trilogy", they are doing a really poor job, given they are reiterating RJ's trilogy as they announced the GoT "series".

It clearly will take time to develop the new trilogy, so there likely won't be much news for a while (luckily we have Solo and Episode IX in the meantime), but the lack of news isn't due to anything negative related to RJ. Some aspects of your post seem like baiting in a negative way regarding TLJ and RJ, so I won't go there.

To your point on the release date for Episode IX, it already got delayed from May 2019 to December 2019. Which isn't to say further delays are impossible, but one gets the sense they feel confident in the December 2019 date. At this point, despite the historical 3 year window between OT and PT films, a two year break between films after Solo this May would seem like a lot!

Oissan likes this.
  7. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Kenobi will be the filler between Episode Nine and the first of the Broomboy Saga

themoth likes this.
  8. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/jj-abrams-star-wars-last-jedi-women-1201929593/

Interesting that he mentioned Poe second. He used to mention Finn second as KK still does. Rey was always mentioned first and Kylo last cause villain. It doesn't have to be anything or it could mean that LF now sees Poe on the level that Finn was in TFA.

Doom_Buggy and Birkendoc like this.
  9. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    News today from JJ Abrams saying no backlash from fans will inform what happens in IX. It also seems clear from his comments that Lucasfilm firmly believes that politics were a significant reason for aspects of the backlash.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/02/16/star-wars-the-last-jedi-j-j-abrams-comments-women-rey/

jaqen likes this.
  10. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Complaints about TLJ have definitely been more varied than just women being the focus. Some have complaints about character arcs, pacing etc.

Regardless from JJ’s interview with IndieWire it’s clear that he himself and Lucasfilm are happy with the story that RJ told in TLJ and want to continue in that direction. Reminds me of that tweet from someone from Collider (I think) where they said JJ was so impressed with TLJ he wanted to make 9 in the same vein.

This makes me happy. I know that TLJ wasn’t for everyone but for me personally I loved it. Looking forward to 9 as well as RJ’s trilogy. To me they get Star Wars.

11. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I'd rather JJ make the movie he wants to make deep within himself, and not try to model it after TLJ and someone else's work.

Mike Zeroh on YouTube reporting that there are rumors Jakku could be visited in IX again. If so...come on, man. We don't wanna go back to Jakku. Nobody wants to go there (lol) and that would make IX similar to ROTJ once again right off the bat.

kalzeth likes this.
  12. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    I really hope not.

I dont like Poe at all especially after his arrogant behavior in TLJ.

kalzeth likes this.
  13. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    I really hope not.

I dont like Poe at all especially after his arrogant behavior in TLJ.

14. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I've heard enough of arguments against TLJ. And in the end, I just don't care about them.
    I tried to return to podcasts this last week. Resubscribed to Star Wars Underworld. But I cut it off halfway. The whining isn't out of their systems yet.
    There are movie websites where I just don't read any Star Wars articles because at the end there's the comments.
    "I see what is in your mind. And it. is. stupid."

Anyway, what? What are we talking about?
    A good deal of the War Against Star Wars is initiated by the Gamergate Trumpy, "Girls and Black People Scare Me" crowd.
    But I know it's not all that. It's people who think they have deep, complex arguments about the meanings and motivations behind these silly movies. But they don't.

EDIT: Poe... what Rian did with Poe's character was really, really interesting. He took a character you naturally are rooting for, and made him make a whole lot of bad moves, and take an arrogant self-important position. And then knocked him down and showed him the error of his ways.
    People might not like that path, but it's a rare, interesting take.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  15. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I remember listening to SW Underworld in the pre-TFA days. Basically beacause I used to believe they were like MSW and had spoilers. Are they complaining about TLJ? About what?

Right now the only SW podcast I follow regularly is RFR. Back to the basics.

16. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    A return to Jakku is a natural progression to Rey's character and makes a lot of sense when you think about it (much more so than Tatooine ever did in ROTJ). Kylo told her that her parents were buried on Jakku and she returns to find them. It's a full circle of that element of her journey. It has shades of AOTC Anakin too, in that by having her back in these older surroundings and meeting with people from her past (Unkar especially), you can show her growth/change as a character. I don't mind it at all. I would actually expect it.

edit - the main podcast I listen to these days is ForceCenter, love those guys. They remain positive about most things Star Wars, but aren't blind to issues both current and past.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  17. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Don't tell me that J.J played the "If you don't like TLJ, you're a sexist" card.

Shadao, yanote, kalzeth and 1 other person like this.
  18. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    He didn't. He referred to a specific criticism from a specific group of people. None of which implies that any criticisim of TLJ would automatically be sexist in his opinion.

19. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    I have my problems with TLJ, it's not secret, bu I never expected someone from LF, or Disney or JJ
    publicly acknowledging the backlash or just the value of some criticisms.

Also... in all honesty, the point was not there were too much women in TLJ, but - who made that argument -
    said men were portrayed as stupid, while women as "perfect".

So, that statement from JJ is just another way to avoid the "real" problems many (not everyone) saw/had.

But that is exactly, what I expect them to do... publicly.

Shadao and kalzeth like this.
  20. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    dp

21. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Yup. JJ pitched the script in December. They would not be scheduling shooting if the broad story outlines were not approved. The script is in the tweaking stage.

22. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Only we don't have any broad agreement on the so-called problems. Something you hated might be (likely is) something I loved.

redxavier likes this.
  23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I used to kinda like JJ..

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  24. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    Sure one may love what someone else hated.
    That is fair... but first, reading/leastening to people's complaints, when it comes to the so called "feminist agenda"
    it's not that those criticisms are "there were too much women" but "all the women were portrayed as perfect,
    men as idiot" and second it's not that this the only criticism.
    It's not up to me to list them all and it's not that one has to agree with them.
    But for instance, many liked Luke's arc, but many didn't.
    I'm somehow in the middle: I liked - overall - the arc but I'll never forgive the Luke almost killing young Ben Solo.
    That to say, that it's not fair - IMO - saying that "too much women" was "the" problem.
    Because it's not the case and by far.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    @Strongbow you have got to stop doubleposting. You do it a lot. You need to get into the habit of editing your posts together, or responding to multiple people in a single post.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.