main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Nah the camera goes to Rey when he says it

2. BalanceOfTheForce

Dec 18, 2016
    They really should keep the Skywalkers around especially now that they'll have other trilogies and anthology films to make movies about non-Skywalker characters

3. JediCiliPucci

JediCiliPucci Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2018
    I think his costume will definitely be very regal and luxurious, long with fancy ass fabric and some sort of armor pieces like breast plate and wrist guards to reflect his guardedness and how closed off and detached he is from everything. I think looking the part has been important to Kylo in the past although maybe he doesn't care about looking a certain way anymore. The importance he put into his outfit previously was because he was trying imitate Vader, whom he idolized. At the end TLJ he is a character who stands on his own.
    I think he won't be wearing the mask. Maybe he wears the mask only in battle. What can I say I love that mask, it would be great to see it again in ep. IX! Upgraded version at least. His hair will remain long, I hopeee! Please do NOT shave it. Maybe it will be even longer than before. They will make him look older and manlier, just overall more mature. To me AD has looked shockingly young and boyish in the previous SW films. More mature look would be easily achieved with facial hair. I think Kylo will have some new scars on his face to show that he has been in many battles and has (or has had) a very hands on approach as the Supreme Leaders. That or there has been maany assassination attempts :D.

4. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    But she is not trained at all.

She has no knowledge about the jedi and no one to teach her.

Also camera goes to Kylo when Snoke was making his speech,

"Skywalker lives. The seed of the jedi order lives. As long as it does, Hope lives in the galaxy."

Does that mean Kylo is the hope of the galaxy and the jedi order?

Bcoz he is trained by Luke Skywalker himself for years.

That is more believable than Rey magically becoming a jedi.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  5. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Rey doesn't have to magically become a Jedi. Luke taught her a couple of lessons, including what the force truly is. That's an important concept to understand, so that's a start. She has the Jedi texts - I don't think that's meant for anything other than symbolizing that Rey will carry on the Jedi legacy. She also, absolutely, has someone to teach her. Luke's physical self may have passed but there's nothing that says Luke can't come back to continue to guide Rey as a force ghost. Does this mean Luke will be with her for 6 hours a day for her daily Jedi training? Of course not - she has to figure a lot of this out on her own. But it's silly not to think that she'll have some helpful mentors along the way.

End Rey rant. Back to Kylo.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  6. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    Luke taught her 3 lessons on why the jedi need to end.
    Other than that he wasnt interested in Rey as a person or in Rey's training.

Besides i dont think Luke will appear to Rey at all.
    He said he will be with Ben always, nothing about Rey.

Rey reading the jedi texts and teaching others is the stupidest and most insulting thing they could write.

All the Jedi before Rey, for thousands of years, trained, struggled and still failed and died.
    Even Luke, Yoda and Obi Wan were actually trained for years before teaching others and ended up loosing everything.

But Rey is the legacy of the jedi, who knows nothing about the jedi and discovered about the force like 2 days ago.
    And will create a new jedi order by reading text books.
    Nothing about this is believable.

Even Anakin who was born from the force wasnt this great.
    He also trained for years and then became a jedi and started training others.

And by training i mean actual training not reading text books.

If anyone can become a jedi by reading some books then why were there any jedi temples for training?

They should have just made the copies of the books and spread them, so that everyone could become a jedi.

At this point,
    Ben Solo being the last jedi
    is more believable.

He is actually trained for years by Luke, clearly knows about the jedi, sith and the force more than Rey.

And going by the dialogue,

"Skywalker lives, the seed of the jedi order lives. As long as it does, Hope lives in the galaxy."

He is going to be the hope of the galaxy and the jedi order.

And i think he should be.

Kylo should right the wrongs done by him and his family.
    This is his burden.
    Not Rey's.

KSennia and lovethedarkside like this.
  7. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    You seem to have ignored what I said about the Jedi books. Episode IX is not going to show Rey reading these books to learn about the Jedi because, you're right, that's stupid. They're merely a symbol of her carrying on Jedi legacy.

I agree with your last statement and it's more relevant to the thread topic. I do believe Kylo's end game is to try and right the wrongs done by him and the fam - that's his portion of the bargain. Rey's is to carry on the legacy of the Jedi.

8. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    I understand your point.

Maybe its just me but i dont think Rey has earned her place to carry on the legacy of the jedi.

I was so excited to watch Rey's struggles to become a jedi but nothing like that happened.

I dont really know where they are going with Rey.

Maybe 9 will be better in terms of Rey's character.

Kylo OTOH is getting the focus and it is really great.

He is an interesting and unpredictable character who could go either way.

His choices and decisions are driving the story.

Maybe in 9 he will actually be a good ruler now that Snoke and Luke are gone.

He could calm down and carry out whatever plans he has for the galaxy.

9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm expecting that Ep. 9 will give us more backstory about Ben's fall to the dark side and that story might make him a more sympathetic character but it also might not. Maybe the story of Ben Solo is that despite the fact that he had two loving parents who thought the world of him maybe Ben was born a bad seed. Maybe he was lousy person his entire life. Maybe being the son of Han Solo and Princess Leia made him think that people should treat him like royalty and when he didn't get that treatment he turned to somebody, (Snoke) who promised to give him the power to make the galaxy worship him like he thought he deserved to be treated. Maybe Ben was the galaxy's most entitled person.

Not sure I like that theory but I could see them going in that direction.

10. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    Doubtful since JJ has already said; "It's more than just having a 'bad seed' as a kid. Snoke had targeted this kid and knew that this kid was going to be incredibly powerful in The Force and wanted him as an ally. So this mother and father had a target as a son, someone who's watching their boy, and these parents aren't there enough to guide him."
    & Rian;
    “There’s a big part of the story yet to be written and not by me,” says Johnson, who will hand the trilogy back to The Force Awakens filmmaker J.J. Abrams for 2019’s Episode IX. “But I don’t think it’s very interesting if the whole story is just ‘Will Kylo get his comeuppance?’ He’s a more complicated character than that and I think he deserves a more complicated story than that. I don’t see the point of trying to get behind his mask and learn more about him if all we’re going to learn is ‘Yeah, he’s just an evil bad guy that needs to be killed.’”

11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Cool. That makes me feel better!

12. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Yes Kylo has the sins of grandfather and the burden of his legacy, but Rey is free.

Darth Gummybear and Star war like this.
  13. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Then Rey is not a pilot because she had no one to teach her officially...?

Except we know she is a pilot because we've seen her fly. And we know from the books that she taught herself from scavenged training materials.

Likewise, she 'scavenged' the ancient Jedi texts and is most likely going to use them to train herself. She hasn't needed a teacher for anything so far.

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually pretty disappointed that Luke hardly showed her anything regarding the Force.

14. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    I get your point but it is not believable to me.

Like i said before, if reading text books made people jedi then the old jedi,for thousands of years, were wasting their time building jedi temples for training.

They should have just copied the books and spread them so anybody could be a jedi.

This whole notion feels insulting to me.
    Yoda, Obi Wan, Anakin, Luke, Kylo are some people we have watched in this saga who are trained for years and still struggled, failed and lost constantly.
    Most of them are dead.
    Only Kylo is there and he is still struggling.

So Rey, who discovered about the force like 2 days ago, has no training, will read the text books and will become a jedi and teach others too.
    Do you see how unbelievable this is?

It would show that everyone who came before Rey were wrong and she is somehow better than everyone oh and right too in everything she does or says.

If Rey doesnt need anyone, then what is the point of watching her journey?

She can be badass and independent on her own in any other movie.

This is the skywalker saga.
    People want to see the conclusion to this family's story.

What they are doing now is trashing every character we loved since the beginning, proving they were wrong, and killing them and showing that Rey is the solution to everything, that SHE is awesome.

It is not a good story or conclusion to this saga and this family.
    Nor is it believable.

Thats why Kylo being the one to do what his family failed to do makes more sense to me.
    Kylo is trained by Luke.
    He has a vision for the galaxy.
    He is the legacy of the skywalker family.
    They all loved him.
    He needs to be the hope of the galaxy and the jedi order.

Otherwise they shouldnt have said that ST is continuation of skywalker family story.
    Just call it Rey saga and show how great and awesome she is.

If not, it would just send the message that skywalkers were trash and Rey is the savior.
    sorry we lied to you in the previous movies that skywalkers are the hope of the galaxy.
    They are not, its Rey.

Can you imagine the hate Rey will get?
    She is getting so much hate even now.

Thats why i think that
    BEN SOLO IS THE LAST JEDI
    It would make sense narratively that he is the one trying destroy it all but at the end he will be the one to make it right just like his family wanted to do.

I am not saying that Rey will not do anything , she will 100% .
    Infact she is the catalyst for everything.

But Rey cant be the savior of the galaxy from the evil skywalker in the skywalker saga.

A skywalker will always hold more value and importance here.

Since everyone else is dead.
    Its only Kylo who has to do the saving.

Like Rey said
    BEN SOLO IS OUR LAST HOPE.

And he will be. Has to be.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  15. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Yup, I do see. I was hoping Rey would be on the island with Luke for a few months at least and that we'd have a considerable time jump.

I agree that it's pretty unrealistic to show that Rey needs no one to show her anything at all. I'm not sure what the point or message there is supposed to be.

I have no problem with Rey being the solution to everything since she's the heroine of the story.

After seeing TLJ I'm not convinced Ben Solo could save himself out of a wet paper bag.

I think Rey will be the one to guide him and that they'll start something entirely new together.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    KSennia likes this.
  16. Star war

Jan 23, 2018

17. sheri1967

sheri1967 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2006
    I wonder when Snoke first started stoking Kylo’s conflicted soul- when he taunted him about having too much of his father’s heart or after the scene where Kylo cannot kill his mother?

18. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    I think Snoke was always taunting Kylo.
    We saw that in TFA and TLJ.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  19. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Meanwhile, Mark is out here comparing Kylo to Hitler

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, that scene is a clear reference to that question.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  21. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    He is not literally comparing Kylo to Hitler. It is about how Mark chose to see the scene’s moral dilemma, he is stating is was “the only way he could approach that scene.” Probably becuse he had a hard time believing Luke Skywalker would do something like that to someone who had not acted yet or done anything bad yet. Especially since in Star Wars, predicting the future is a tricky and uncertain thing.

milena likes this.
  22. Star war

Jan 23, 2018
    I think he just means that the ONLY way he could justify doing something so horrible and wrong is this way.
    Nothing to do with hitler at all.

23. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    Sometimes I stumble upon on comments on different SW boards about how unpopular and poorly received Kylo Ren by "people" (who these people and how one can count them, I don't know) and that Driver was miscast. Here the list of publications and posts about Kylo Ren with social media shares (all platforms):

Attention World: Adam Driver Has Always Been Hot And Y'all Are Just Late To The Party 65,1k
    In Case Shirtless Kylo Ren Wasn't Enough For You, There's Now The #KyloRenChallenge 43,6k
    Fan Theories About Rey And Kylo Ren That Will Mess With Your Head And Your Heart 29,4k
    Let's Settle This Debate: Is Kylo Ren Hot? 19k
    Kylo Ren Is the Greatest Star Wars Villain of All Time 16,3k
    Free Funko POP Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Kylo Ren at Walmart | BeFrugal Exclusive Offer 15,5k
    "Emo Kylo Ren" Tweets Are Back And More Angsty Than Ever 13,6k
    Is It OK To Be Attracted To Kylo Ren? 'The Last Jedi' Leaves Fans Feeling Conflicted 8,7k
    Kylo Ren's SNL Gag Is Now A Battlefront II Mod 5,5k
    Star Wars villain Kylo Ren becomes fastest-rising baby name in the US 5,4k

Hmm, none of them are negative...

From the most upvoted posts on Reddit SW after TLJ about Kylo
    The best scene in TLJ (Kylo and Rey team up) 34.6k
    The single word that has the most weight in The Last Jedi... ("Please" by Kylo) 16.3k
    I really want Ben Solo to survive at the end. 10k
    Official HQ image of shirtless 9k
    Adam Driver/Kylo is a better Anakin than Anakin. 5.2k

I won't post all tweets after the premiere - where every second critic mentioned Driver, Ridley and Hamill.

Guess, time and new generation of fans will tell...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  24. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    Among the new characters Kylo seems to be the most popular. This should not come as a surprise since he is a Skywalker with everything we know that means.

milena and Lost_Hope like this.
  25. BalanceOfTheForce

Dec 18, 2016
    Nah it wasn't him wanting to be treated like royalty. It was a combination of Leia always working, Han not being the best parent, the pressure of his family linage and predators like Snoke wanting to take advantage of his power.

lovethedarkside likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.