main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Lando would be appalled they're putting *drinks on it.*

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I've been thinking of this Qi'ra lately, and now that we have that book coming out about her and Han's lengthy past, I'm wondering about things. Is/was she Han's GF, relative (Qi'ra Sal-Solo?), or something else? Because now that we know where Han's going and where he ends up, that makes a difference.

I get the impression she was Han's quasi-long-friend-with-benefits-but-never-serious, which isn't necessarily bad if it was super off-and-on (say they separate for many years while he's in the academy and she's off doing something else, etc etc), but if it's not and they're together a long time and share all these Corellian memories, it makes Leia seem more like a distant outsider when she comes into the picture. And it reinforces this idea (that up to now I wasn't buying) that Han and Leia didn't have a ton in common which was why it was more easy for them to break up eventually.

I didn't have much of a problem with the old EU's Han pre-ANH. He lived up to his name pretty well and never had a long-lasting commitment. He had one special fling with Bria, but it didn't last long and their relationship was super awkward anyway. Leia was always clearly the "special" person in his life, the first one he had more than just a crush on and could actually hang out with through thick and thin.

I'm not saying the new story is headed to disaster, but it's got a delicate dance to play around where we know Han is going.

Also TBH I really want Qi'ra to be a Sal-Solo evil cousin...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    kalzeth and AusStig like this.
  3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I actually hadn't even considered that she might be Han's relative. Making her be Han's relative, sister or cousin or whatever, would be something interesting and unexpected, as well as a way to immediately cut through the comparisons to Bria from old EU fans (and complaints she's not Sanna from NEU fans).

Plus, since it seems like Qi'ra is a bit Leia-like, it would also make sense to add to the incestuous themes of the OT.

BigAl6ft6, Amon_Amarth and kalzeth like this.
  4. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    The EW article states that Han falls "head over heels" for Qi'ra, so I don't think we're looking at a relative here.
    But hey, nothing stops them from paying an unconventional homage to both Luke/Leia and Game of Thrones. :p

BigAl6ft6, AusStig and kalzeth like this.
  5. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    It seems like they've known each other for a long time, though. Could be someone he's forced to reconnect with, which is why she "knows who [he] really [is]."

6. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    From what's been revealed, it sounds like they grew up together as kids, fell in love as teenagers and then split due to circumstances when they were 18 and he went off to the Imperial Academy and she rose up high in the criminal underworld, then get back together during this movie.

I don't think it'll undermine Han's future love story with Leia though. If you read Emilia Clarke's interview on her character, she implies pretty heavily she's going to do something terrible to Han to make him the cynical guy he is in ANH, which sounds like a betrayal for her own gain. This will ultimately show despite their long history together that she's the wrong woman for him and that Han will realize that, because we know Leia would never do that to him. It's similar to Leia's first love in PLOA who on the surface seemed perfect for Leia and had a lot in common with her (fellow Alderaanian, from a noble house, also a Senator) but in the end wasn't right for Leia because he didn't believe in the Rebellion.

Leia and Han didn't break up because they didn't have enough in common, in Bloodline they've been happily married for 23 years, if they'd had issues they wold have divorced long before that. TFA states clearly that they separated because of Ben's turn to the Dark Side.

Based on Clarke's interview (she even notes in the interview she isn't around in ANH so something must have happened between her and Han and that Leia is Han's end game), I'm guessing their relationship will end up more like Bond/Vesper Lynd or Wolverine/Kayla than Romeo and Juliet. I'm still 99% sure she dies at the end though just to tie up loose ends.

If they put an "I love you" "I know" between them though, I'll be incredibly annoyed :p

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The impression I've gotten from the material is that Han and Qi'ra (they couldn't have just called her Kira?) are childhood friends/love interests. We see them together in the speeder-racing sequences, with Qi'ra dressed similarly to Han as a fringey street kid. Then they separate and she reemerges later in the film as a "femme fatale," as she's been described, with the fancy clothes and, they say, an air of mystery, which she's not really going to have if they've been together the entire time. Which sets up the obvious hook that she's his childhood friend, and he probably falls for her all over again, but can he trust her? And when that's a central question around the character, the answer is usually no.

8. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    But then she has a change of heart and flies back at the last minute.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'd be cool if she and he were over the moon for each other, and then she started doing shady stuff and then one day they're running a gig on Tatooine and she's like "hey Han I killed some tuskens... I killed them all... the women and children too." and Han throws up his hands and is like "Oh **** woman this is too weird for me!" and he flies off and that's that.

10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've actually wondered for a while whether the old friends/"I know who you really are" stuff is, yeah, leading up to a version of the beat in some Han stories where he gets contrasted against a fellow fringer type who really doesn't have any standards, as opposed to how Han just likes to pretend he doesn't - something along the lines of Qi'ra cutting a deal to sell out the rest of the team and assuming Han will be cool with it when he's really not.

11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, I can see that.

12. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I wonder if we will see more of Alden on screen if this movie is quite successful. Not in a live action sense, but being a voice actor in animated young Han. After all you don't have to worry as much with the actor aging when it comes to voicing a pre-ANH Han. While Rebels is ending, their is still plenty of material to explore in the 19yr gap in Star Wars television. Even though their will live action tv series, I feel animation should return to the dark times era. This time as an anthology focused more on non force users.

13. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I can definitely see Alden reprising his role as Han in a VA

14. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    the description of Most Wanted book made me think Han and Qira will be teen in some point of the movie but Emilia and Alden doesn't look teens (Emilia is 31 and Alden is 27). I know that in Rogue One Felicity (34) played Jyn Erso in her 21 years but I thought Jyn was a bit more older (in her 27 years)
    [​IMG]

15. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I think they intend Han to be like 19 in the beginning of the movie, but he’ll be older for most of it.

16. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Pablo Hidalgo commented once young Solo will be a lot younger than Han in ANH. Han had 29 in ANH, so Han probably will be 19/20.

variety in 2016: "With the exception of Eastwood, who’s 29, Disney and Lucasfilm seem to be zeroing in on actors between the ages of 20 to 25"

Kathleen Kennedy: "He’ll definitely be probably in the high teens, low 20s. We’re not introducing you to a 10-year-old Han Solo."

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    My cousin and I had a somewhat inebriated philosophical conversation about Ehrenrech's line delivery of "It's fine, we're fine." While we both agree that is definitely a Han Solo line (Larry Kasadan, baby!), was the line delivery Solo? I went with mostly yes, he was mostly no.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I thought that was the most Han-esque thing he said. Reminded me of the scene in the detention block in ANH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm with your cousin. Definitely a line that works as written for Han. Definitely not an example of Alden successfully channeling the pre-existing character.

Of course he isn't yet playing the pre-existing character. This is Han pre the pre-existing character.

What I really need to see is him angrily point at something. That'll be the make or break moment.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  21. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It was a line from ANH written by George Lucas, well before Kasdan joined Star Wars. How did it magically become a Lawrence Kasdan line?

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If you insist upon spiting hairs, the line in Solo "Thought we were in trouble there for a second but it's fine. We're fine." That line is not in A New Hope. In ANH it goes "We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?" And Lucas didn't write that line, that was an improvisation on set by Harrison Ford.

Anyway, Kasadan has co-written 5 out of 4 movies that Han Solo has been in and he's easily the #1 writer out of anyone who has worked with the character I want to see flesh out Han's back story (in a big damn movie, no less!). Since LFL basically fired Miller and Lord since they weren't sticking to the script, I'm glad that Howard is (apparently) sticking to it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    wobbits likes this.
  23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Unless I'm missing something, Kasdan has cowritten 3 Han movies: ESB, ROTJ, and TFA. 5 could be a typo.

I like Kasdan, but I just don't feel he's this Han Solo expert that many are claiming him to be. TFA showed a massive staganation in character. Harrison Ford was trying to get out of Han Solo in ROTJ (have him killed etc) because he felt the character was lacking. It seems Kasdan's writing wasn't doing wonders for him either...

Much of what people like about Han was already established in ANH, and even Daley novels. It makes more sense to credit Kasdan for Lando, not Han.

I'll wait and see what is done for Solo.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Daneira likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    *I means, Kasadan has co-written 4 outta 5 movies that feature Han Solo. We just haven't seen the 4th one yet. Aside from the superbowl ad and the trailer.

25. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    It's no I'm Han Solo, but it's something.