main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by ScorpionJedi, May 5, 2016.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think he looks like Han but not necessarily like Ford, in the same way that I think Chris Pine looks like Kirk but not like Shatner. Basically, I buy him as the character from what I've seen so far, but I never really approached this with the expectation that he would truly look like a young Harrison Ford.

2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Yeah he looks a lot like Han in all the new book covers and stills released by EW today. I can buy it for sure.

DARTH MUPPET likes this.
  3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This is how I feel as well. To me, what convinces me with the performance is if I can see the CHARACTER in the new actor, rather than the actor themselves. I don't need to see Ford. As long as he resembles HAN to me, I'm good. The same goes for Lando here I suppose. This is also why I thought McGregor made a great Obi-Wan.

DARTH MUPPET likes this.
  4. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, I don’t understand how people can accept Ewan McGregor taking over for Kenobi and Chris Pine taking over for Kirk but they have a problem with this casting. Sometimes certain fans get carried away thinking this is Shakespeare or something. These are supposed to be fun and simple space adventures, relax. Also, Disney will not release a terrible SW movie, they will go bankrupt saving it before that happens.

5. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    What’s funny is in Shakespeare’s time the women characters were all played by men, and there were hardly any props or set decoration. The plays succeeded on the merit of their quality and the audience’s willingness to suspend disbelief.

The audience has to be willing to accept that what they’re watching is made up and, as such, will not match the consistency of real life. That’s as true now as it ever was.

6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Will Han wear a vest?

7. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    He’s wearing one during this scene. It’s not easy to see in this shot, but the leaked set pics showed that it was a vest and not a jacket.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I really hope they have paid attention to the height issue...

9. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I’m glad they didn’t just put Han in his classic vest and call it a day... I’m looking at you Obi-Wan.

The Regular Mustache and wobbits like this.
  10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Something like that is easy to manipulate with camera angles and whatnot, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. In Dark Knight Rises, they mostly only used camera angles that focused upward for Bane, as Tom Hardy is actually quite a bit shorter than Christian Bale. (I think they gave him higher shoes too, but still...) He was also way bulked up but in terms of height-If you watch closely in that film, most of the scenes show him from angles that make him look larger than everyone onscreen.

They seemed to have not missed that with Anakin either-the fact that he's taller than most onscreen, and how his height matches up to Palpatine. I doubt they'd miss that for this one too. If they paid such close attention to the look and performance as they did (you can even see Alden STANDING the way Han did in certain shots of the trailer), I imagine they wouldn't just somehow miss the height factor.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  11. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Our good friend @Bowen should be able to help with some of the points mentioned above... :D

And speaking of Alden, I was originally quite skeptical of his casting as the legendary Han Solo... But after seeing the two teasers, I feel that Alden has captured the brash, over-confident, and cocky attitude of Han really well, and it does not matter if he doesn't look like Harrison Ford anyway... Although the ending shot of the first teaser (the one of Alden behind bars) does remind me of a young Solo played by young Harrison! :p

Like what @PymParticles said, Chris Pine doesn't look like Jim Kirk and yet, he did a great job portraying the USS Enterprise's captain in the three latest movies so far! =D=

Satipo and wobbits like this.
  12. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I don't understand the height complaint. Is anyone really taking a yard stick to the theater to measure? Donald Glover isn't the same height as BDW. As long as they are both shorter than Chewie, what does a couple of inches matter?

13. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Especially since he isn't really replacing Ford. He's just playing a younger version of the character.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    It's not an issue if they pay attention to it. There were a couple of (wide) shots in the trailers where he looked tiny!

15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I think the acting coach comment has to come from someone who has never worked in the film industry and with all due respect to anyone else, intended for people too stupid to know better. Acting coach?!! LOL films don’t have acting coaches. The only person who is allowed to coach actors is the director. Period. Actors do their own training in technique and that’s long before they ever have a single serious role. While many actors continue to ply their trade, and there’s nothing wrong with that, the notion that any major actor hired for a big movie would have an acting coach come to the set is laughable. I can bet that hasn’t happened in 75 years anywhere in Hollywood, did the person who made up that rumor watch some documentary on old silent films and the transition to talkies?! That would be the only possible time I can imagine that was a thing. I don’t know what’s more galling, that a person would be dumb enough to come up with that rumor or that someone would believe it. There is no way that would happen on any movie, not an indie film, not a studio film.

16. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Given that Alden was not only acting, but trying to implement the same basic character traits of the original Han Solo, I can understand hiring someone to give advice on acting, like the famous Solo finger pointing, body expressions and such.

Oh what a shocker, the actor and the studio are taking care enough to ensure to get these details right.

Worst ever, 0/5. Ruined my childhood.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  17. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I think the acting coach thing has been blown out of proportion. I fully appreciate that AE was the one who blew the whistle on Lord & Miller. Han has his humorous moments but I definitely didn't want to see Han Solo acting like Ace Ventura and that's where they were heading with it. My understanding of the acting coach's arrival is that Alden thought based on Kasdan's script he'd be playing Han a certain way so he acted accordingly BUT then L&M decided to deviate greatly from the script towards their chosen improv and kept throwing multiple alternate lines at him saying "try this" and then shooting drastically different stuff off script.
    https://movieweb.com/han-solo-alden-ehrenreich-responsible-phil-lord-chris-miller-firing/

18. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yes, from what I understand from culled reports (all of which could be varying degrees of inaccurate), it seems that Lord & Miller brought the acting coach on to coax the performance they wanted out of Ehrenreich, a performance he was uncomfortable giving because it ran counter to the character portrayed in the screenplay and/or the character as depicted in the prior films. So I'm not willing to consider that a red flag at present.

Pro Scoundrel , 11-4D and wobbits like this.
  19. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    Unfortunately when I was trying to search for info on this particular situation with AE 95% of the headlines I got were basically running with the idea that the acting coach was called in because he was a bad fit for the role. He got great reviews in Hail Ceasar and so far I have seen good ones for Rules Don't Apply.

20. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    He was also the actor they chose after auditioning ~2,000 people. He wasn't some bum they picked off the street, he was their choice after an extensive campaign.

21. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    Its called clickbait. News arrives, assume the worst possible cause, write article with as controversial headline as possible. Most important of all though! DO NOT research the real reason for the news because it almost certainly is much less controversial and well.......less clicks!

Darth Smurf likes this.
  22. I do not know why but my mind is starting to accept this new Han Solo even if it is another version completely different from Harrison Ford Han Solo

23. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I think he's going to do great. Just remember it's YOUNG Han Solo. :)

24. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I hope Alden Emerich is good choice for the cast as the young Han Solo, his acting looks very weak.

25. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Yeah, of course it does...

...get back under your bridge,