main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    So you're telling me there's a chance.

Mostly Handless, sizziano, B3 and 7 others like this.
  2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
  3. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    I just watched a video on this by Mundane Matt aka 3 Buck Theater. Belfast is an interesting location. Maybe Obi-Wan can have an Irish accent. That would be hilarious.

Mostly Handless and 11-4D like this.
  4. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    LOL! Those aliens must be desperate! [face_rofl] I would put my money on Lucas' return. :p

ChrisLyne likes this.
  5. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    How can you have more official news when there has been no official news?

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Indeed. Sleep deprivation causes me to type wish fulfillment. :ben:[face_coffee]:D

7. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    While Lucasfilm hasn't officially confirmed, or even announced, anything regarding this project, news of Stephen Daldry being attached to write and direct the film was reported by The Hollywood Reporter, one of the few reputable publications in the industry. While not always, many things reported in either Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, or Deadline usually turn out to be true, in one form or another.

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If it doesn't come to pass, I wouldn't say it's because the story was false, but rather that the film didn't move past a certain stage in development. I completely trust their sources, but it may turn out that while Lucasfilm did meet with Daldry regarding a Kenobi film, they simply decided not to pursue the project any further. It happens all the time, and we do know that the talks last year were extremely early.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  9. Prison_Mike

Prison_Mike Jedi Padawan

Mar 11, 2017
    I say this project will not happen. What seems to be happening is that Lucasfilm wants to get away from the saga films. This is why we are getting announcements on original trlilogies, and not on anthology movies (ie: A Star Wars Story).
    I think episode 9 will be the last saga film, and the last link to the OT.
    This is just my thought, but they have become very quite on any standalone movies moving forward.
    I could be wrong, but it looks like they are more focused on doing more original content.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

10. CloneWarsFan01

CloneWarsFan01 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 1, 2015
    They're probably waiting until Solo is out so they can get that out of the way and Kenobi can proceed right away.

11. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    IX starts filming in July. The GOT guys will probably want to start production in late 2019 and presumably RJ will not wait for ever so expect his Saga to start around early 2019. With up to three movies in production right up until mid/late 2020 do you actually think they will manage to squeeze the rumoured Kenobi movie in somewhere soon?

12. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    There should be more than enough room. Epsode IX will be the only movie in production once Solo is done. Benioff & Weiss aren't going to start their series until after GoT is over, and with Johnson supposedly making another small movie before returning to Star Wars, none of these movies are going to move to actual production anytime soon. Certainly not in time for a 2020 release. The only way we could get a movie for 2020, would be if something was already in pre-production right now. This leaves three possibilities, 1) there is another unannounced project currently in development, 2) Johnson does work on his new trilogy right away and production will start soon, or 3) Indiana Jones will be the sole Lucasfilm movie for 2020 and there will be a break for Star Wars

13. CloneWarsFan01

Sep 1, 2015
    Well, since Disney said a Star Wars Story is being written for a 2020 release and when you take into account that Omega Underground is saying Obi-Wan starts production in early 2019 along with Stephen Daldry directing AND CO-WRITING the script, it makes sense. I still think Disney can allow two LFL theatrical releases as long as it's not back to back Star Wars. Remember, Indiana Jones IV and The Clone Wars movie were BOTH released in 2008.

14. CloneWarsFan01

Sep 1, 2015
    Well, since Disney said a Star Wars Story is being written for a 2020 release and when you take into account that Omega Underground is saying Obi-Wan starts production in early 2019 along with THR saying Stephen Daldry is directing AND CO-WRITING the script, it makes sense. I still think Disney can allow two LFL theatrical releases as long as it's not back to back Star Wars. Remember, Indiana Jones IV and The Clone Wars movie were BOTH released in 2008.

15. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Disney don't make that many official announcements regarding future projects so it's unusual that I was not aware of this. If you can help us out with a link that would be appreciated. As for 'Omega Underground', never heard of them, I'll take that as another unsubstantiated rumour.

16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I would love to discover that Kenobi has been an experiment in secrecy.
    That it's been in production for the past 2 years. Ewan's beard has already served it's purpose.

And they're going to release it Cloverfield Paradox style in December.

(It's not.)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    my kind of scum likes this.
  17. CloneWarsFan01

Sep 1, 2015
    Bob Iger said this at the Rogue One premiere that a Star Wars Story film was set for 2020.

18. CloneWarsFan01

Sep 1, 2015
    Bob Iger said this at the Rogue One premiere that a Star Wars Story film was set for 2020.

19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yep, Bob Iger did say that. I think it may have been at a conference call. And TBF, Omega Underground have a very good track record. For the most part, their info seems to be pretty accurate.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I imagine we'll get an official announcement / date of release on this after the release and reception to Solo.

21. Qui-Gon Keith

Qui-Gon Keith Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2015
  22. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Still crossing my fingers for this one. Between the Rian's new trilogy and the GOT guy's new series of films it doesn't look like there will be much room for Star Wars Stories for several years (unless they move to 2 films per year) so 2020 seems like the last realistic release date for Kenobi at the moment.

kalzeth likes this.
  23. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Hmm, I really wonder what the "spinoff statistics" would show if fans were to vote for which character spinoff movie they'd like to see first. I may be biased but I believe a "Kenobi spinoff" is the one that has got most attention in media throughout the last years. So why don't they just decide to make it?;)

Yup, that was a rhetoric question, but feel free to agree.:p

24. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    They can do quite a few spin offs to be quite honest, personally I hope for Kenobi, I'm in dreamland though when I say could we really get a Palpy spin off, or other characters maybe from the Jedi Order etc. I always wanted to see a live action RC movie.

kalzeth likes this.
  25. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    If this thing is actually happening, I imagine it will be officially announced and dated at some point this summer. It's possible that the green light on production hinges on the release and reception to Solo.

Mostly Handless and kalzeth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.