main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Vehicles/Tech in the Han Solo Movie

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by DaddlerTheDalek, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Personally, I preferred the idea of an arrowhead-shaped cargo module but these two noticable gun barrels, that are attached to the new or extended element and can obviously be moved from their retracted position (see below)

[​IMG]

seem to suggest otherwise. But if that's some kind of jollyboat, how'd you get in? The only access would seem to be from the cargo hold (Solo could have later eliminated the access to use that space for some extra tanks), but it doesn't seem to feature some kind of access hatch:

[​IMG]
    ...or is that an access tube hatch, we do see in the center of the new cargo hold? [face_dunno]

2. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    Regarding the cargo pod, it seems that this September 2017 article had that particular rumor, way ahead of everyone else. The only question is whether the intention changed in the reshoots, but based on the toys, it hasn't:

“The Falcon is brand new and owned by Lando in the untitled Han Solo film. It has blue detailing all over it with a white base coat of paint. The other interesting detail is that we finally see the Falcon doing what it is supposed to do with cargo. Basically there’s an attachment that hooks into the front of the ship’s front “forks” and that elongates the front of the ship. It looks seamless but can also detached to drop a shipment of spice if Imperial entanglements get too complicated. The center of the ship allows for access to the cargo.”

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017...ave-a-new-look-in-han-solo-a-star-wars-story/

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Lt. Hija likes this.
  3. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I should clarify that that came from MSW originally. Sorry.

4. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ^ Thanks for the clarification. As another observation I should add that you can apparently lift the top part of the forward module. I'd like to believe to put cargo there, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

5. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
  6. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
  7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I would guess that the stuff in the tubes is some type of 'energy material'. That's going by;

1, The warning triangles on the side.
    2, How it appears to be 'plugged into' the Falcon.
    3, The sturdy construction of the tubes.
    4, How explosive it is (if it's the stuff being carried in the train wagon.

8. dekaneas

dekaneas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 14, 2014
  9. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
  10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
  11. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I disagree on the Hauler. It's basically a flying crane for moving stuff about and is more utilitarian than a fighting vehicle. The Arrestor is weird though and hopefully it's strange design has a logical purpose.

12. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Can't get a read on the scale of the Arrestor -- the basic silhouette suggests Arquitens size, but those dishes would be pretty massive...

dekaneas likes this.
  13. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Not from my point of view. It's obviously the original design for the Star Destroyer by Colin Cantwell (which probably also led to the essential Executor Super Star Destroyer design, turned 180° that is):

[​IMG]

;)

14. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    As a matter of fact Colin Cantwell made an upgrade, so the new Imperial vehicle looks exactly like what he had envisioned:

[​IMG]

15. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    A Sky crane. I agree that its great to see vehicles and ships that have a clear purpose, even if it is a mundane thing like moving large freight around at a spaceport.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  16. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    No, I meant 'New' as in we had no clue it was in the movie, where as we have seen the blueprints and the trailer clip of the Hauler. I have obviously seen the concept art from Cantwell and always thought how uninspired it was.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  17. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    The Empire doesn't like shaken soda cans. Getting kicked in the back of their airplane seat. Sitting in gum. Banging their heads into low beams. Getting hit by shopping carts. Paper cuts. Wet grocery bags. Walking into glass. The Empire like big dishes.

18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The one with the dishes is a very ugly design.

Avnar likes this.
  19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I thought the plan was that it's an Arrestor... It helps arrest criminals.

It's basically all about tractor beams.

20. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    Narrator: "Now the story of a powerful Empire that controls nearly everything, and the scoundrel son who had no choice but to become part of the criminal underworld. It's Arrestor's Development."

21. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I see and have similar feelings. These were prototype designs and very early evolutionary stages, for me it's impossible to just 'unlearn' that, especially since that particular design evolved into the Super Star Destroyer (IMHO).
    Assuming these dishes are powerful tractor beams, I'd like to see some of these on the Death Star but there's no hint of these. And I have to wonder about the cruiser's propulsion engines. [face_dunno]

[​IMG]

Apparently it's a cargo module, so I'm somewhat relieved. But headspace should be very limited, so I expect them to bend down should they go in there, but I'm not betting my life on it. ;)

22. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Would you even notice dishes of this size on the death stars? They could be there, we just haven't seen those areas close enough to see them. For me I'd rather have a concept design like this be used than have something new that could end up more modern looking simply due to the fact that it wasn't designed in the 70's. I think it is unfair for us today to say that something created 40 years ago was uninspired. Our time has effected our opinion (unless you were around in the 70's and saw Cantwell's concept designs then and thought it was uninspired at that time).

As for the falcon "mini rig" , I assume people (or droid) will go into it and fly in it at some point in the movie. Star Wars isn't big on automation or remote control and it would be pointless to fit lasers to the craft if it couldn't move by itself. I recon they will have worked out the correct proportions, the characters will probably be sitting down anyway.

23. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I wonder if the Arrestor and the Hauler designs might feature in the final part of Rebels?

I really want to see it's purpose before judging the Arrestor, has it got some specific purpose, does it perform a task other Imperial cruisers can't?

24. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    Maybe the Arrestor has the ability to secure other ships with its tractor beams and tow them through hyperspace to impound in a special shipyard. With the direction of the dishes as we see them now, they would need to pivot downward to continue grappling the captive ship below itself, otherwise it would be pushing the ship through hyperspace, which might make it look like the Arrestor is the one being towed.
    It would be a bit like this, but imagine another claw coming out of the osprey's head:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  25. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    I was thinking more about the Arrestor today, particularly about what the tractor beams might sound like. Granted, we're in space, but we heard the seismic charges in AOTC. I made a throaty sound in my mouth, then altered the pitch. It sounded familiar, then I recognized it as Karl's "Mmmm-hmm" in Slingblade. The "Mmmm" part of it is the pitch that I think would sound good for the tractor beams. Then, I realized it sounded like Tuvan throat signing, in particular, the Chylandyyk style. The tone would need to be consistent, to keep it mechanical and not organic. Jump to the 5:33 mark to get an idea. I'm thinking of a tone a bit deeper/lower than the example here.
    Imagine the Arrestor lurking in the distance, being provided intel from informants of illegal activites that need to be addressed. The Arrestor moves to strike, jumping into and then out of hyperspace. It quickly targets the subject, turning on the tractor beams that have that low-mid-range rumble, and moments later, both ships are moving through hyperspace to an impounding shipyard where the prisoners are processed then transferred to Kessel or Wobani, or wherever. Like the osprey swooping down and grappling the unsuspecting fish. Next thing that fish knows, it's going somewhere it doesn't want to go.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    whostheBossk likes this.