main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Story Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 13, 2017.

1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    With the announcement that Rian Johnson trilogy and the Game of Thrones dude movies are going to be cut off from the Skywalker Saga I guess that means that we won't be seeing Rey, Finn, Poe and the gang for at least another five or six plus years, if at all, right? Yes, Kathleen Kennedy said they'd be telling stories about those characters for years but she could've meant that they'd be appearing in comics and books not movies.

Bringing this back on topic I wonder what this means for Ep. 9? Will Ep. 9 end wrapped up in bow a la Return of the Jedi? Will it be left open ended with it suggested that we'd see these characters again in the future, but then we won't see them for years? Will they kill off some of these characters, specifically Rey? Either way it seems like we're not going to see Rey and the gang for a while which is kinda weird if the conclusion of Ep. 9 is that Rey is playing a big part in bringing back the Jedi and then they don't follow up on that idea relatively quickly. It's like the wake of Return of the Jedi all over again. Hurray the Jedi are coming back! Can't wait to see that happen! No wait! They're not going to show that happen for years if they show it at all?

That is a problem, no? If Rian Johnson's movies take place after the events of Ep. 9, even if they're not technically connected to the Skywalker Saga, the fact that presumably there will be Jedi in those movies will suggest that Rey or somebody inspired by Rey and Luke brought the Jedi back yet they're not going to show us Rey rebuilding the Jedi Order?

Maybe the first RJ trilogy movie or the first movie by the Game of Thrones guys is about somebody, not Rey, starting up the Jedi Order again? Wouldn't that be weird too? The ST seems to suggest that Rey will play some part in bringing the Jedi back. It would be odd to me for them to set that up in the ST but then we never see Rey follow through with that. Imagine Ep. 9 ends and Rey's all, "Now I'm going to bring the Jedi back" and then the next movie to come out is set several years in the future and the Jedi Order is fully back on it's feet but Rey's not in the film, and there's only a passing reference to Rey bring the Order back if she's referenced at all. Worse still, the new movies are set in the future and the Jedi haven't returned and there's no explanation about what happened to Rey and why the Jedi didn't come back.

If they either don't show us Rey rebuilding the Jedi or they show us somebody else bringing back the Order it would kinda diminish Rey's story a bit. If Rey isn't a Skywalker then I guess her story in the ST is about bringing back the Jedi and yet we more or less know that the next movies aren't going to include her so we won't get to see her deliver one of the big things she's supposed to deliver on. It could feel like the Jedi in the future movies are going to be all, "thanks Rey for awakening the Force but we've got it from here. We'll call you if we need anything. Bye!"

Oh god...that's how Ep. 9 is going to end isn't it? Rey will will defeat the bad guys and for one reason or another she won't actively be playing a role in rebuilding the Jedi Order going forward. It'll be a redux of Luke's sacrifice at the end of TLJ whether she dies or not. Rey's heroic actions will inspire people throughout the galaxy and the Jedi will rise because of Rey's legendary actions but we won't actually see Rey recruiting students or rebuilding the Jedi Order. She's just going to disappear for mysterious reasons so RJ and the Game of Thrones dudes can make movies that don't include Rey.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong and RJ's trilogy and the Game of Throne guys films will all be set way in the past and then after seven years of prequels Lucasfilm will finally make a new saga movie set after Ep. 9 that includes Rey. Ugh...that doesn't make me feel great either.

2. ObiSpamBaloney

ObiSpamBaloney Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 12, 2014
    I am not going to miss Rey, Finn, Poe, as those characters fail to recapture the awesomeness of the original cast. It would be better just to introduce more new characters, and maybe one of those times they'll get it right. Honestly I don't care much for whatever will happen after Episode 9 in terms of events afterwards. I'm more interested in seeing the origins stuff for characters like Yoda, and the origins of the Jedi and Sith. Maybe they can revisit Rey and/or some Skywalker descendant (Reylo?) in a decade or so, when they can return as an older version of themselves.

3. ObiSpamBaloney

Feb 12, 2014
    What if Snoke is not Plageius but someone who preceded him, who taught him how to cheat death?

4. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Is it really realistic to expect any new cast to recapture the awesomeness of the original cast? I've seen a lot of amazing movies in my life but none of them have had the same effect on me as the OT. Some of that was the OT cast and some of that was the time and place those movies were released and the age I was when I first saw them. I don't think you can recreate that feeling exactly no matter how great the cast is. It's like wishing Christmas as an adult was as amazing as it was when you were a kid. It ain't going to happen.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  5. ObiSpamBaloney

Feb 12, 2014
    It's not realistic, I know. That's why it's probably best to move on to a new cast and story - maybe it might work out better next time around.

6. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I can see rian johnsons crawl for the new movie ---
    "Rey of Jakku has vanished! The taxation of trade routes to core systems is in dispute. There are heroes on all sides. Evil is everywhere.

General Poe Dameron leads a brave Resistance. But little does Poe know that the new First First Order has secretly begun construction on a new armored space station...."

Vohnkar and The Regular Mustache like this.
  7. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    True, but I just think they really "passed" on developing the new trio to the level of depthness they could have. And I think that was kind of needed. Han, Leia, and Luke didn't need tons of deep development in the OT because they were the beginning, and were naturally intriguing. But with every new trilogy and story, I almost think they should spend more time developing these new characters deeper. Finn had a really intriguing story, but TLJ kind of just ignored that.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think it should work out that IX gets a solid ending like ROTJ. It deserves that much. Also it makes sense if they will not visit those characters on film for another ten plus years to cut their stories there.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  9. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I expect Ep 9 will end with it heavily implying that Rey will start a sort of new Jedi Order. But unless Kylo survives then that's the end of the Skywalker line and bye bye ep 10.

Star war, Gharlane and Lost_Hope like this.
  10. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    Will end implying she will start a new order? Lol. I feel like we've been waiting for that since the end of TFA. What's she gonna do in IX then? Retread the same ground for a third time, obsess about her parents, and show up to save everyone whenever they're in trouble?

Star war likes this.
  11. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I don't think there will be enough of a timeframe between the end on 8 and the beginning of 9 for her to read all those Jedi texts, become a Jedi, find new recruits etc. At the end of TLJ she wasn't even a Jedi, she was someone who was strong in the Force - not the same thing at all. In 9 she'll be too busy fighting the FO to do some bedtime reading. We won't see any new Jedi in 9 unless she convinces the Knights of Ren to fight for the Resistance, which is a possibility because I think in 9 we'll see a split in the FO.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  12. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Same here. Plus a short time jump keeps the tension up. Jumping a few years ahead and starting Ep. 9 with Jedi Rey and her students plus a rebuilt Resistance would kill a lot of the tension.

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Since the ST is now Ren's story with Rey a player in it we have to look at it from that perspective.

Anakin became a hero but then couldn't over come his fears and fell to the Dark side.
    Luke became a hero and conquered his fears and became a greater one even saving his father.
    Ben Solo never became a hero but a villain on the Dark side (nominally at least) who then should become a hero of sorts (though it's hard to imagine it would be all the way).

So however it plays out the First Order isn't defeated as such but victorious except that Ren changes the way it works. Whether Rey turns out to be the actual villain or an instrument of the true villain (Snoke? Plagueis? Sidious? Someone else?) in some way halfway through the movie to turn everything 180 degrees.

At this point doesn't there have to be some Sixth Sense "revelation" that reframes what we are led to believe is going on? It can just be a straight by the numbers struggle with Rey defeating Ren (yet again) and the inept but utterly powerful First Order being defeated by the also inept but exceedingly weak "Rebels".

At some point the Force must have something other then an abstract influence on the story. It's clearly directing Rey's actions and existence or someone is.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  14. The Shrike

The Shrike Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Long had the plea rang out across the galaxy, when the resistance received a singular response:

"Tion ke'gyce ner kad al'ijaat."

15. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I’ve jokingly said that there will be a Fight Club twist where Rey is revealed to be a figment of everybody’s imagination.

Demsa Aztor likes this.
  16. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    I'm not really sure what they'll do with IX. The FO and Ren are running the galaxy. The remains of the Rebellion are on the run. My guess is that there will be a time skip. Rey, Finn, Rose and Poe have surely spilt apart and made themselves scarce to keep under the radar of Kylo while they recruit others for the Rebellion. Something clearly happens to Leia during the time period. Rey possibly is in contact with Luke (maybe twice), learning through those books. If she knew everything and had all she needed, she wouldn't have taken them with her. She clearly wanted more answers. Maybe something in those books lead her to another planet or former Jedi hideouts or allies. Possibly those contacts who Leia was trying to contact in the end, do show up at some point. Who knows. I think they will be in contact, but will be separate at first. Together they are just an easy target. Poe could be recruiting and mobilizing ships together, while Finn is putting out the word they need addition help. Rey, I think, will not be with them so much because obviously Kylo can sense her. She will have to shut herself off without losing contact with the Force.

17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    This is is Just wild speculation - Episode 9 begins after the crawl on Naboo where Leia’s funeral is being held. Ben and Rey force time and Ben asks Rey to show him his mother being laid to rest. Ben secretly feels wrong and guilty and his slow turn back to the light begins.

18. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    I expect a time gap and the crawl will spell out that rey has blocked all attempts by Kylo to "open the door" so to speak. However I would not be surprised if the movie opens with Leias funeral and soon after Rey responds to his attempt to contact her if only to confirm that his mother has passed away.

19. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    My thoughts for the opening are that it's been about a year since TLJ and there's war across the galaxy with the FO losing ground. We open on a fleet of Star Destroyers above Kuat engaged in battle with the defense platforms and then the Resistance show up - Poe on the bridge of a new command ship, Finn and Chewbacca in the Falcon, followed by a squadron of mixed fighters. The FO ships suffer causalities and are forced to retreat. Their admiral cursing and wondering where Hux and the Supreme Leader are. And then we cut to Achto where Kylo Ren is wandering around the huts on the island. Basically, Kylo Ren has been neglecting his duties as Supreme Leader, which eventually causes Hux to stage a coup. Meanwhile Rey has returned to Jakku to find answers, accompanied by an old Force sensitive woman that she has since found and taken on as a student.

20. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    Finn wakes up from a coma and it is revealed that the entire TLJ plot was a horrible nightmare of his.

Avalanche19 and 11-4D like this.
  21. Avalanche19

Avalanche19 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 3, 2016
    Luke is still alive?? :D

22. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Rey is revealed to be a Skywalker, Ghost Luke uses the Force to take physical form long enough to give Rey a hug, Kylo is redeemed and half the people here can’t deal and totally melt down.:p

23. ArchonJedi

ArchonJedi Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015
    RT score is 99% everyone wins.

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  24. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    So I'm reading rumors that places like Peru and deserts out in Utah are being scouted for potential filming locations.

Seriously? Haha yes they're beautiful, but I'm freaking sick of these desolate planets. Really was hoping IX would create some more metropolitan type, high tech locations like Coruscant again. We've had enough of pure natural terrain.

25. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes, first scene will be Rey asking BB-8:
    'Luke Skywalker naked leaking bag'? What? Did you fry a chip?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    MrElculver2424 likes this.