main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Abuse Scandals in Sports

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Nov 9, 2011.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Valeri Liukin out at USAG. Essentially an extension of the Karolyis - notorious for psychological abuse of his students, including his daughter.

Another positive move. Throw em all out.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Nassar was sentenced 40 to 140 more years in prison today. May the SOB rot.

heels1785 and PCCViking like this.
  3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Not as abhorrent as that cesspool of a human being Nassar, but the Dallas Mavericks' rotten corporate culture of harassment is terrifying. Mark Cuban, the progressive hands on owner, claims to not know about it (I have my doubts). And, moreover, I have a certainty about me that the Mavericks are one of about ... I don't know ... 122 teams in the "big four" leagues that have a similar culture to some degree where women work in fear and are constantly harassed. The terrifying thing is that a culture that allows a powerful man to tell women he knows they are going to be gangbanged over the weekend is probably not the worst environment being cultivated by a major sports franchise right now.

Point Given and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    In today's climate, you can't "cannot know." And yeah, Cuban as a hands on owner, should have known especially since Terdema Ussery is the Mavericks team president and CEO. It's very doubtful to me that Cuban wouldn't know this guy was a sexual creepy and a predator. Moreover, this guys been acting this way for years and at social events.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    We already know the Knicks have been like that given Anucha Brown Sanders's lawsuit against Isiah Thomas in particular and the Knicks as a whole.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Piece on Marta Karolyi in the Dallas Morning News today, including interview footage. It's a doozy!

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/new...nsibility-safety-gymnasts-allege-sexual-abuse

Regarding alleged physical, sexual, and other abuse that took place on her property:
    When asked who may have been responsible for this aforementioned "other parts"/security, again on her property:
    Regarding the living arrangements:
    Via Mattie Larson and Jeanette Antolin's (both former gymnasts) accounts:
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Dateline NBC, 7 PM Sunday - hour devoted to the investigation, interview with Karolyis and (separately) Maroney.

Already being leaked out that the Karolyis are denying any knowledge of Nassar's assault.

[​IMG]

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Powerful and Corrupt rich individual denies involvement/knowledge of abuse. Story at 11.

**** the ****ing ****ers

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    More heads rolling at USA Gymanstics.

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Looks like that time may be at hand, Inty.

In part because Strauss died, this could become more about Jordan than any other living person, but as with Michigan State, it's on the university itself. If they weren't paying attention, it's because they failed to do so. If they were paying attention and gave Strauss the green light by looking away, that's obviously criminal on their part. Either way, OSU looks bad and I'm sure it will get worse as more information comes out.

This isn't about Jim Jordan, or not more than Penn State's scandal was about Joe Paterno. It's about the collective failure of a major institution to safeguard people who trusted it.

Edit: I want to add in more reporting from the Columbus Dispatch:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Terrible. And you are absolutely right, it's on the university. period. And if this is happening for the wrestling team, imagine what's going on with football and basketball?

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Reporting indicates that students across fourteen different sports at Ohio State have alleged misconduct about Strauss. I'm more interested in what's going on that hasn't yet been uncovered at other major institutions. I wouldn't be surprised if the total number of sexual abuse victims at universities across the country (before getting into high schools and other major institutions) is well into the six figures.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Everyone needs to read it. Then read it again. Then print it out. Circle a few lines. read the entire article again. And then read it again.

So. Damn. Good.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Here's a shot of 115 of Nassar's victims on stage last night - there are 332 known victims at this time.

[​IMG]

The presentation of the Ashe award:

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, we were basically crying by the end of it...

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

****ing hideous

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    YOU CANT GET TATTOOS BUT YOU CAN MOLEST CHILDREN - the NCAA

(And I get it, it's not technically an NCAA Violation just like the Penn State thing wasn't. But ...)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018