main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Story Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 13, 2017.

1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Amen to that.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  2. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I do want the final duel between Kylo and Rey to be on Coruscant.

Thanks.

3. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    That could be cool but wouldn't it be cooler if it was set on a barren wasteland?:p

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  4. Rylo_Ken

Rylo_Ken Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2015
    For no other reason other than it's really cool, Kylo should be based on Mustafer and the first big scene after Leia's funeral is the KOR returning there having found some kind of force-themed McGuffin he sent them out years ago to find....;)

5. MadBoomBoom

MadBoomBoom Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017
    I think a duel on Alderaan would be better.

6. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    That's supposed to be intentionally funny right?

I've said it before and now again -/ why does Leia need a funeral? Why can't she be off fighting the good fight? Or she could be the mcguffin. Star Wars loves a good mcguffin

7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would love that. I've always wanted a duel to be somewhere in the Coruscant cityscape. I know Yoda vs. Palpatine was in the rotunda, but it was more a battle of Force ability, rather than an actual lightsaber duel.

8. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I guess you've successfully blocked out Canto Bight then?

9. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I don't consider Canto Bight to fit that vision of mine. Canto Bight was a little gambling town in yet (another) desert, with quite old-style infrastructure. Yeah, I block it out.

I'm envisioning more like Coruscant, Naboo. Also, to me it still feels like the PT was more "high-tech" than the ST has been, even though we're talking 50+ years later. I just personally prefer the settings of the PT, mostly just because of Coruscant alone.

10. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    That seems very selective. A location doesn't have to be Coruscant-level urbanization to not be desolate. I don't know how Canto Bight is simply a "little gambling town" or how you can consider it takes place in a desert. It's certainly no less developed than Naboo (which also features old-style infrastructure and plenty of natural terrain).

But different strokes as they say... I don't like the settings of the PT personally (Naboo is nice).

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't know if I agree about Canto Bight being a wasteland. IMO it was a breath of fresh air in terms of environment that brought a bit of the more glossy glamorous PT aesthetic to the ST-implying that although we don't see it, it's still out there. I do agree that there's a heavier weight of the "nicer, more advanced" planets in the PT. In the ST, it's not just wastelands sure-but IMO they are still very sparsely populated, and some (like Takodana)-although beautiful-don't really seem all that advanced, as far as we've seen-which is all we have to go by really.

I never really considered it TOO much of an issue, though, cos IMO there's a few planets here and there throughout the whole saga which do have some "glitzy" to them. I just chalk it up as that the story we're following simply doesn't take us to those nicer planets during those episodes-even though they're out there. Still, I refuse to accept that in this whole wide galaxy of thousands of systems it would make sense for us to ONLY see wasteland, small frontier-type towns, and/or desolate and sparsely populated terrains. Surely those bustling advanced environments exist out there, and they don't all look like Carson City NV in the late 1800's. And I'm not saying I prefer all the planets of the PT myself. I just prefer some more balance between the two extremes is all-as I imagine is the general point being made here.

That said, I still feel there's a few planets beyond the PT that qualify: Bespin being the most obvious in the OT, Hosnian Prime (only saw it for a few seconds but IMO it counts, just like Coruscant in ROTJ), Canto Bight, and it looks like we might have another one in Solo possibly. Not a lot, but enough for me I guess. Although I will say this as to not risk being too off topic: I'm still holding out hope we'll see Coruscant in Episode IX for something-or at the very least, Chandrila-which seems to be an important planet in the ST, according to the EU material that has been released so far.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  12. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    The PT had multiple desolate planets anyway so it seems like a 'rule of thumb' that's been exaggerated - Tatooine, Utapau, Mustafar, Geonosis, Kamino, Kashyyk. Coruscant is the only real good example, and it also has the advantage of 3 movies visiting there.

13. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    The Locations are the weakest part of the Disney Star Wars Movies.

14. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Well, thinking in terms of the story first as that drives where the characters go...where would people think the story should take place? Not necessarily environments, per se, but story locations. Like what makes sense for the story to proceed towards?

Story-wise, having the last episode return to where everything started might be really nice. At the end of the adventure, the hero's always return "home", so to speak. I would love to see Naboo or Coruscant (and not just in montage form) perhaps in a different way than we last saw them. Perhaps we get to see what 60 years of war has done to them. It could be cool for the heroes to go to Coruscant to possibly liberate the planet, finally. Or ... Maybe we really do go back to Jakku, to see more about Rey, or whatever. Maybe the other side of the planet looks like Peru or Utah, grassy mountain desolation instead of sandy desolation.

Story location ideas:
    Dark side temple (perhaps Kylo feels like he needs more training or power)
    Nether realm of the Force
    Old Jedi Temple Council room (final fight style maybe mixed with dark side shrine deep beneath it)

And just FYI; Peru doesn't necessarily mean desolation. That's just one environment there. I've always wanted to go Peru. Looks incredible.
    [​IMG]

Maybe another temple, training ground? Obviously they don't need to film at Maccu Pichu. But, visually, it could be interesting.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    But with actual civilizations and histories not just barren of everything.

11-4D likes this.
  16. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    :rolleyes:
    What can you tell me about the civilisation and history of Utapau, Mustafar, Geonosis, Kamino and Kashyyk?

17. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Exactly. This is the perfect example of how certain critiques are starting to sound more and more as if Lucas did everything right and Disney everything wrong.

I honestly can't take this seriously. It just lacks any kind of objectivity.

18. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    This is getting out of hand.

Coruscant and Naboo were extremely populated, urban, and felt incredibly high-tech compared to any planet in the ST so far (besides Hosnian Prime which we saw for 5 seconds). Utapau had the Pau'ans and a bunch of underground structures in the sinkholes. Mustafar had creatures as well as structures through which the lightsaber duel took place. Geonosis was pretty desolate. Kamino had high-tech artificial habitats built in the oceans. Kashyyyk had tons of coherent Wookiees.

Jakku was a barren desert with a tiny little impoverished community and huts. Takodana was an unsettled forest other than Maz's castle. D'Qar = desolate. Ahch-To...cool, but obviously from ancient times.

All I'm saying is enough with the boring natural landscapes. Let's get some high-tech environments back in the story.

Episode IX, story wise? Coruscant. Coruscant. Coruscant. Or another ecumenopolis. The First Order will have taken control of the galaxy, one would think, so it would make sense they would try to establish some sort of government somewhere.

19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    That they had them. Actual people who lived there. Societies with social structures. Places that matter. Lived in and lived on. We see people who live, breath, create, design et al.

Where is that on Jakku? Crait? Canto Bight? D'Qar? Takodana?

There is nothing to be said because there is nothing there.

Lucas tried to work that in from Yavin to Endor to Tatooine to where even lifeless rocks in space had some kind of lifeforms.

20. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I'd be interested in seeing Coruscant in Episode IX considering that it is one of, if not the most, important location in the galaxy.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    I feel like they purposefully avoided civilized worlds as a way to avoid being anything like the PT, but I don't think most peoples' problem with the PT is that the worlds were "too civilized." Never heard anyone say that. The worlds of the ST have been pretty lazy. Time to create some more developed locations.

22. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    LOL. You have this set of criteria that you always throw up there when it comes to the Lucas worlds, where essentially you give all the credit you can muster, then when it comes to the non-Lucas worlds that criteria changes and you are unable to see anything or give any credit. Here you're honestly applying it to Canto Bight, which is the most developed location in all of Star Wars (especially given that it's only in 1 film), and seeing nothing. It's such a blatant bias that you've been called on in several times. You have no objectivity at all which undercuts you pretty severely. And in this case, your answer to the civilisation and history question relating to your favourites was to simply assert that they were there. "That they had them". What can you actually say about the social structure and people that live on Utapau? Who are the actual people on Mustafar and Kashyyyk? What other information can you tell me about Kamino other than they're cloners? You simply can't of course. These planets don't even live up to your supposed standards.

It's fine to simply like the PT worlds better. But you don't have to justify that by inventing reasons that are completely arbitary and/or selective. That just exposes your double standard.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  23. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    It would be nice for JJ to spread the scale out now. We met some people on TFA, then basically spent 2 and a half hours in their heads in TLJ with no pull back in the narrative to give us an overview.

IX needs to be on a truly galactic scale imho.

I don't want this to end up like Twighlight...an endless series of angsty teens staring at each other for a series of movies followed by a dozen kids running at each other in some park - not even putting lightsabers in their hands for the 'epic showdown' would make that worth it for me.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  24. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    The only desert I wouldn't mind is Jakku or Tatooine

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Actually throw in Rogue One as well. Especially Jedha.

Not at all. I can give way more.

Because it pales in comparison. It pales in comparison to Rogue One.

That says it all doesn't it? A resort that no one really lives at. It's all visitors and staff. Close it down and no one is staying there.

No. I have objectivity because when they do something (which hasn't happened in the ST but R1 and my guess is Solo as well) then I and many others will cite it.

Actually a lot can be said because of the people, the social structure, the designs etc etc. There are things that are overt and others than can be logically inferred. I don't follow what you argument actually is because then by that standard that makes the ST worlds which are next to nothing even less so on the same scale because most of them don't have any of that or a bit more than nothing.

PT, OT, R1, TCW, Rebels, books, comics, games etc.

There is no double standard. It's a single standard applied equally to all the movies and the ST is simply extremely lacking so far.

The ST galaxy is perplexing because it's not reflective of the Star Wars galaxy seen in the rest of the current canon coming from Lucasfilm.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018