main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Reading NJO...Again

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicewood, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd love a YJK type series following Valin and friends after the Vong war.

2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Someone wrote a fanfiction that had Anakin (who was still alive) and Valin working together and they got into a discussion about why one of them did a perfect rectangle cut as opposed to a circle.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Could you link it to me?

4. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    https://archiveofourown.org/works/485334

:)

Amon_Amarth and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I think I remember reading that one now. That was pretty funny.

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Admittedly it isn't-just interesting minutiae.

7. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I'm rather curious what the better end of the war would have been, given the knowledge that we know out of universe. The Vong aren't evil, and I think the "kill em all" ideology that far too many fall into to be obviously tfalwed, but on the other hand, a lasting peace and reform of the Vong requires defeatign them enough that the warrior caste is weakend, so the slave castes can rise up, and at the least a removal of the high ranks of the Yuuzhan Vong armadas - Shimmra's closest advisors. Similarly, stuff like Vua and Ganner, actions that were critical for the creation of the beliefs that led to lasting peace, needed a long war to come to pass.

I can't see how the New Republic should have acted to avoid the bloodshed and terror that we got.

OutsiderJediSam likes this.
  8. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    While this series has some critics, those of the old canon can be grateful to have experienced a super long story of books like the Vong War. I could be wrong, but I don't think under new canon that we are getting this kind of elongated stories. Everything is geared for animation, live action television, and movies.

Xander Vos and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Aside from SOTE (4 books), and Adventures in Wild Space (8 books + I think), which are YA, the only trilogy is Aftermath.
    Thrawn will be getting a sequel and maybe another as well.
    I'd love another X-Wing type series. 4 books following Rogue Squadron fighting Isard, 3 books about Wraith Squadron, a sequel to the first 4 books, a stand-alone Wedge, Tycho, Wes, and Hobbie book about Adumar and one more book following Wraith Squadron decades later.

10. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    What NJO was missing was a visual guide or something visual. Heck, battle assessment guide for each main battle to help say fill in the gaps.

11. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Eh, I don't care as much about the numbers and the ships as much as the stories, and I really liked those stories.

12. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    I liked the storyline but it would've been great if it was represented in comic much like the Thrawn Trilogy or even what they're doing now with Thrawn and Lost Stars.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    An Essential Guide to the NJO series would be amazing.
    Book summaries, character portraits, planets, ships, aliens, animals, technology, lists of battles, certain scenes depicted, etc.

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I've always wanted an anthology/tales of NJO series.

It would focus on the broader Galaxy and not the sky solo clan or their immediate entourage. From NR Intelligence agents, GA commandos, Imperial diplomats, Vong agents, Peace brigade soldiers, refugees, etc...

Maybe see the Hutt Campaign in more detail both from the Vong and Hutt POVs.

15. JeeediMoriah

JeeediMoriah Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    The NJO audiobooks are so over abridged it's a crime!

Daneira likes this.
  16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    It's shame they'll never get unabridged versions now.

17. spicewood

spicewood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 26, 2007
    So, I have really been slacking. Got a secondary project here and two additional community classes I teach while wrapping up service, but I do mean to get back to the series very soon, likely April.

Sent from my CPH1717 using Tapatalk

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I really want to read a series about Nas Choka's campaign in Hutt space.

19. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    That would have been great! Still, WOTC's RPG supplement The New Jedi Order Sourcebook wasn't too bad. The Saga Edition sadly didn't add more, but they just had some info on YV in Legacy Era guidebook.

20. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    OK I am through Vector Prime and Dark Tides 1 and 2.

I am really digging it so far. I like how the stories borrow elements from most of the pre-existing EU (Thrawn Trilogy, Jedi Academy, X-Wing series, etc.) and I also like how the Republic is constantly losing things at the hands of the Vong. It makes them feel like a significant threat.

16 more books to go!

21. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Just finished SBS.

-Anakin's death is different for me now, as a father of 3. Just sending the kids on the mission is astounding.

-Seems no one ever thought that Jaina might be packing away a lot of crap before this to be concerned that *she* was the Solo that would go dark. Every one's attention was on Anakin and Jacen, while Jaina is just allowed to become a soldier and thought steady. She joined the Rogues at 16. Jedi or not, that's going to mess her up. Yet family and friends were more concerned that Anakin was over eager and Jacen a coward.

-Vergere is supposed to be avian. She is universally depicted as a purple and fucia bird. Somehow, Denning constantly refers to her "simian face." You'd think she was a bird with a monkey face from his description.

It's a good book, maybe a great one, but you can see all the vices that later come to define Denning and Star Wars. They become more prominent in LOTF and FOTJ. Especially his penchant for gory death. It's not out of place here due to the villians and their own culture of mutilation. It *is* out of place in the post-NJO when the stories are nothing more or leas than rote Star Wars stories.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    As I understand-in some countries you can join the military at 16 with your parents permission. And Jaina's career as a soldier I agree was psychologically damaging and was arguably innappropriate for a Jedi to be so closely tied to the government.

As for Denning yeah gory death and mutilation seems to be his thing.

Which leads me to a question-has anyone ever asked Denning what he thinks of EU fans attitudes towards him?

Given his massive influence post NJO and the often hostile attidude his name engenders among the fans I wonder what he thinks about his reputation.

23. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    I'm hoping you didn't mean to, but u pretty much said it was ok for Jaina to be in the military and then said it was wrong. Also, I do agree it's too traumatizing at that age, and the Jedi shouldn't have their youth in the battlefield, but I don't agree that it's inappropriate in general for a Jedi to be in the military or the government. A Jedi might be very gifted as a Counselor and could make a great Senator IF the people didn't fear them. That's what would make it hard, but there's nothing that makes it wrong from the Jedi side. I also don't see anything wrong with being in the military and being a part of defending the galaxy, it's what the Jedi do anyway for all the talk of not being aggressors (not that I have a problem with it though.)

24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The Jedi are a religious order with certain responsibilities and obligations. Both as an organization and individuals. Participating in government affairs isn't something Jedi do.

Their emphasis should be on the mystical or at least on issues of broad concern.

The Jedi were politically involved in legends at one point-during the new Sith wars the Jedi basically ran the rump republic to withstand the Sith tide and they used child soldiers largely as a desperate measure.

The Jedi openly discuss a coup in ROTS.

Political involvement on the Jedi's part has been portrayed throughout the EU(and the prequels) as being something that is contrary to what the Jedi ought to be-which is of a moral philosophical and spiritual calling rather than a mundane one.

Dawud786 likes this.
  25. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    but u'r equating a single Jedi's personal actions to the entire Order's actions
    being a member of the military is not equal to the Jedi Council ruling the Republic/considering a coup in any way
    do I think the Jedi should run the galaxy/auto be part of the ruling group? NO
    do I think a lone Jedi should be free to be able to be a Senator from his/her world, or be in the military, or join the CSF, or not do any of that if they don't want to/ YES
    I've never understood this moral philosophical/spiritual rather than mundane thing, no wonder the galaxy hates them, why can't the Jedi be moral, philosophical, and spiritual and yet still be a part of our "mundane" existence.....