main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Is that classical music?

BigAl6ft6, Vthuil, AusStig and 2 others like this.
  2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Kasdan likes to take a lot of credit for things but how much was him and how much other people (including Lucas) and what’s he done since RTJ anyway ?

Hell from a screen writing perspective the whole Jabba scene goes on way to long with not one but 2 monster climax moments in the scene, first the rancor then the sarlaac. Also why wouldn’t Boba recognise Lando [face_thinking]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  3. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I think it’s fair enough for him to take credit given that he was the primary writer for the scripts. George is a great ideas man but terrible at dialogue. Harrison helped with improv across a few scenes in the OT but overall he wrote what we got.

I’m sorry do you not like multiple monster climaxes? Sure those scenes could be trimmed but I wouldn’t change them for the world. I feel that they perfectly exacerbate the situation and stakes.

As for what he’s done since not much although he did co-write a little known flick called The Force Awakens. He knows how to write for Han and write or co-write a Star Wars flick.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    You could literally put Sabotage over any trailer and I will immediately get goosebumps.

It's like Kanye West's POWER. It just works SO WELL.

5. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    A movie that rips off a previous movie and does a load of mystery box moments is not great screenwriting in Jmo

AusStig likes this.
  6. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

Your personal opinions aside I think you’d be hard pressed to find many people who agree that Kasdan does not write good Han Solo or doubt his impact on the OT.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Kasdan knows how to maintain the already successful character created in ANH, but I don't find that he particularly did anything new or different with him. Han coming back from being a scoundrel to join the Rebels was already established at the end of ANH. There's a reason Harrison Ford felt his character was stagnating.

It makes far more sense to credit Kasdan with Lando. There has never been a Lando without Kasdan (film-wise). Han was already an established hit character before Kasdan.

It's sort of like saying Patrick Stewart understands Charles Xavier best because of his excellent portrayal in his X-Men films. Patrick Stewart may have done a great job, but Charles Xavier existed as a character for almost 40 years before Patrick Stewart came along, with other good portrayals (X-Men 1992 cartoon) predating him.

Han Solo was a hit character for some years before Kasdan, with excellent writing from Lucas, Archie Goodwin, and Brian Daley before Kasdan joined up.

8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Someone do this one next.

AusStig likes this.
  9. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014

True that Han was already established, but Kasdan still then wrote TESB, ROTJ and TFA all of which had memorable Han moments. While the Stewart example is fine there is a difference an actor portraying a character and the writer coming up with the story.

I still think that Kasdan understands Han best given that he is his primary writer. By all means give George credit for creating the lovable Rogue but the writing mostly comes from Kasdan from 2/3 of the OT/TFA and soon this.

On top of this it ignores the rest of my point. Kasdan didn’t just write the Han sequences. He’s helped write 3 other Star Wars films two of which are considered classics. He knows how to write Star Wars. If you disagree then we’ll just leave it at that.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    True, Kasdan made ESB and ROTJ classics. I was let down a lot by TFA though. And Kasdan making ESB and ROTJ classic means he's equally qualified to write a good Luke and Leia, but all everyone seems to talk about is him writing a good Han...?

I'm holding out some hope for Solo, but I tend to judge by what the writer wrote most recently for, not what s/he did almost 40 years ago. Sometimes people's work can't match up to what they did before. Stan Lee, Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Gene Roddenberry, Chris Claremont, and others often write good stuff after their heydey, but sometimes can't quite recapture the magic that marked their finest work.

With Kasdan, I have reason to be skeptical since I imagine TFA is more reflective of how he writes these days than ESB and ROTJ, which were done very long ago.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  11. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I mean TFA problem wasn't characters. The characters were written great and were acted great.
    The problem was they were in a story that had no idea what to do with them and really no idea what to do in general. Which I really lay at JJ's feet more than anything because of his kriffing mystery box fetish.

12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The effort to diminish Kasdan's role in Solo's character development over the latter two films of the OT to justify pre-hating this one simply doesn't fly. To use a sidv88-esque analogy, it's like taking credit away from Chris Claremont for the success of the X-Men comic book in the 1980s by saying he simply continued what Lee and Kirby started in the 1960s. You don't have to like what Kasdan did with Han in TFA but claiming he doesn't understand the Solo character is, as you suggest, a hard sell to say the least.

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Hang on, hang on - where is my Solo novelisation of the film...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  15. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Duck like this.
  16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Edit: Made the same mistake as Giovs. Posted in the correct thread.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It seems that the very cool series of posters they made for Solo may have been plagiarized. Oops.
    [​IMG]
    Note that I did say "may", as I did not investigate the matter.

18. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Lando strikes me as more Funk than Jazz. But Chewie = Soul all the way.

Also, Electronic Funk should have been L3-37, obviously.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    seeker_two and Gamiel like this.
  19. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Well someone will lose a job. They are still cool posters though.

20. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Twice I read the last one as "Soulo".

AusStig likes this.
  21. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Han Seoul-Oh.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That news story is starting to make the rounds.

If true, I think it's our job as fans to take this seriously and do what is required of any concerned fan.

We must contact the original artist and ask him if he made any more of these posters so that we can endlessly speculate which other characters will get plagiarized posters.

23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    L3-37 should be techno funk

Woody Harrelson’s character could just be the soundtrack from firefly

24. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
  25. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I'm not even sure that Seoul's getting this movie at all. Rogue One opened here nearly a month later. And IMDB doesn't have a Korean release date for Solo listed yet.

But I'm not excited enough for this movie to even care!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.