main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi clarification thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Artoo-Dion , Jan 12, 2018.

1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I watched for this, and it’s the first time Rey and Ben connect after Luke lets the force back in. Luke also senses Ben, hence his panic as he runs toward the hut

2. Eeyore freak

Eeyore freak Jedi Knight star 2

May 19, 2016
    It probably does have something to do with Luke reconnecting to the Force. So Luke was just seeing their mental connection I guess?

The only other part that still confuses me is the hand touch because it looked like Kylo was in the hut there also and that was before Luke walked in, though I guess that could still be explained by their Force Skype...

Also I just remembered Kylo’s hand was wet after their conversation in the rain so maybe it was something like that?

3. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I agree with your first interpretation. Luke is able to see Kylo after he reconnects to the Force, and he was able to watch their mental connection.

Also, he was very worried and was desperate fo find Rey, so he must have felt Kylo and sensed that Rey was in danger.

That being said, there is a physical element to their mind connection. Like if their connection is 90% mind and 10% physical.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  4. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    Yes, it's their Force connection that Luke can see once he reconnects to the Force... it isn't that Kylo or Snoke is projecting because that's what Kylo was thinking at first which is why he told Rey doing so would kill her, through their connection they can speak/see/interact with each other. Luke's projection at the end is different, and if it were Snoke or Kylo doing the same thing it would've physically affected them.

5. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    Per the visual dictionary:

“Luke only wears this robe to undertake one final Jedi rite.”

“Luke’s donning of ceremonial robes is not an indication of a return to faith; rather, Luke sees it as his last rite to end the Order.”

Seems clear he was wearing the robes for one final Jedi rite, then redons them to end the Order

6. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    No takers on my question? Bummer. I guess maybe it's just an odd thing, or an oversight in the film. I can live with it I suppose, I'll throw it in there
    with other peculier things that make me frown in Star Wars like Han's unnecessarily harsh 'then I'll see you in, Hell!' or Stormtroopers being so easily beaten down by Ewok pebbles and sticks.

7. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I think the "tunnel" was open somewhere on the right; Ren just turned right and flew out. (if I remember correctly)

The hangar had shields, but for whatever reason Kylo firing two missiles went right through the shield and destroyed the hangar anyway...because...reasons? No idea. RJ just wanted the Resistance to be defenceless there and wanted Poe without his X-wing, so he threw out continuity rules I guess.

Bor Gullet likes this.
  8. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    When Poe shows up in front of the dreadnaught in the beginning, neither Hux's ship or the dreadnaught fire on him despite declaring he's in attack mode. Why? All that happens is some fumbling around until we get to the "your momma" joke and then the surface cannons can't even hit Poe and Canady has to scramble TIE fighters. None of this makes sense.

G-FETT likes this.
  9. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    Why did the Resistance use these slow and indefensible bombers instead of Y-wings or something else more effective?

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    @MrElculver2424 - DO NOT DOUBLE/TRIPLE POST. If you have need to add additional thoughts or replies, use the 'Edit' function to do so.

KembaSkywalker and zackm like this.
  11. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    They are completely separate ideas. I can't be editing a single post whenever I think of a new question about a totally different topic. When did this become a thing?

12. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    You act as if the Resistance would just have such bombers lying around at their disposal. They're a small Resistance splintered off of the New Republic fleet which was just completely obliterated by the FO. What makes you think that they have tons of Y-Wings available for them to use?

Additionally, the bombers used by the Resistance in TLJ are classified as heavy bombers which can deliver a larger payload than starfighter bombers. I imagine they wanted to make sure to destroy that Dreadnaught by using these behemoths.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is not a blog. It is a discussion forum. Spitting out idea after idea after idea after idea, with nobody actually responding to you in between, is not what this forum is designated for. Nothing is being asked of you that countless others have no issue abiding by.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  14. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    Makes sense for the most part. I just would've thought that so many years later the 'Resistance' would make sure to have the most effective ships possible in its inventory. Bombers that have to be directly above the target in order to do any damage seem clunky. But yeah, the New Republic was decimated so who knows what was lost there.

15. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    The resistance is new. There is no "so many years later."

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  16. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    I posted two separate ideas about different topics because they came to mind within a few minutes of each other. That's nothing like you're alleging. If there is now some time limit that I have to reach between posts, please let me know. I also will not go back way later and edit a previous post to include info about a completely unrelated topic; that's ridiculous and would defeat the purpose of the post being seen by other users.

Edit:
    Since I now have to go back and edit my previous posts to post new ideas and respond to updates, here I am...stating that I will not be threatened with a ban over such a ridiculous concept that has never been laid out to me before. Ever.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  17. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018
    You often have to just go with the flow in these sort of physics and logic-defying space battles in Star Wars. Maybe we are all a little more exigent these days
    but I do have to say that with TLJ I find myself have to justifying a lot more of the eyebrow-raising 'hmm, really?' moments than in past movies.

That being said, Rogue One was fairly exemplary on that score, I had no qualms whatsoever about the space battles, a lot of it was very cool, especially the X-Wing smashing against the shield generator and the Hammerhead pushing the crippled Star Destroyer. I dunno, I got a more 'cartoonish' feel from the early space action in TLJ that somehow felt that the stakes were lower. Of course, when the escape pods are getting decimated at range it takes a turn for the grim but I think I feel that there was somehow less care taken in how things would be considered when the fans sat down to dissect the action.

Sarge, MrElculver2424 and 3sm1r like this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    How about this, then... Take my word for it that I did not warn you about something which the majority of our active members are not already fully aware of, and that others have been banned for doing, and just use your 'Edit' button. If not, we can try to painstakingly arrive at understanding of this simple, not-at-all-difficult-to-comply-with guideline in our Unban Request forum.

19. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018
    I'm not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere, and I don't want to go messing with the rules, so I'll just ask here -

Has there been any explanation as to why Rey can swim? Being from a desert planet you would imagine that even landing on Acth-to she would have been flabbergasted, if not terrified by the immensity of the ocean.
    Swimming is not something you can easily do for the first time at - what age is she meant to be, 20? - so I was surprised she fared so well.

Is this just an oversight in the movie, or are we meant to think it's just that she's using the 'Force gets you out of jail free' card?

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  20. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    On D'Qar, while becomming Poe's buddy, Maz showed her how to swim.
    Didn't you know? :p
    (Poe was not allowed to watch, otherwise he would have known Rey)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    -LordSkywalker- likes this.
  21. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018
    Ah yes, that clears that up for me ! How foolish of me not to use standard Rianjohnsian Hypersubvertologic to solve this question :)

22. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    You mean when she gets pulled into the cave on Ahch-To and splashes in gracelessly, then suffers sputtering and flailing and kind of dog-paddles her way to the shore?

She can do that because she’s a human being. If she actually knew how to swim presumably she’d do it instead of what she actually does.

There is no mention that she was born on Jakku. She was left there as a child.

And Jakku must have some water otherwise people wouldn’t settle there.

The only logic you need to solve this question is basic logic, not Bashingsubvertlogic.

23. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Yeah, didn't really get the impression that she was 'swimming'...

She managed to get to the surface. That's about it.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  24. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018
    Fair enough, I'll give you that, about her not being particularly graceful. I still find it odd that she didn't outright drown and that she wasn't more terrified of the sea. But then again, I don't know everything about Jakku, maybe they had swimming pools? Nothing seems to indicate that, Rey's life looked like one that was pretty arid. But as you rightly point out, they must get water from somewhere, is it like Tatooine, moisture farming?

I am actually here for clarification....

25. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Why does Hux seem to be in charge of almost the entire military when he's referred to as General? He's not a Supreme Commander, Grand General, etc. Is he just so high up because Snoke wants to manipulate him more? I know Leia is just called General, but it's clear she's the commander-in-chief of the Resistance.