main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles - DK Book by Landry Q. Walker

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Feb 21, 2018.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    [​IMG]

The definitive guide to the vehicles from a galaxy far, far away... Learn all about your favorite Star Wars(TM) vehicles, from the A-wing to the Y-wing.

Don't know your X-wing from your Y-wing? Not sure what type of craft Slave I is? Look no further than the Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles. From the swamps of Kashyyyk to the deserts of Jakku, from inner-city Coruscant to the vastness of hyperspace, this new Star Wars book will show you the right craft for the job. This handy guide is full of fun facts and intriguing information, guaranteed to enthrall fans for hours on end.

This encyclopedia features more than 200 weird and wonderful vehicles from the world of Star Wars, including ships and vehicles from the entire saga of movies as well as the television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels. One vehicle is explored in detail on each page, so there's something new even for die-hard fans. All the technology behind the vehicles such as repulsorlift craft and hyperspeed is fully explored.

Release Date: April 3rd, 2018

This book is coming out soon, so I wanted to get a thread setup for discussions!

--Adm. Nick

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I don't want to be the guys who says "It won't be like the good old Essential Guides", but...
    I fear it won't be anything Earth-shattering, and I'd be very surprise if there's much new lore in it.

3. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I have an ARC. I'm not gonna post spoilers (sorry folks, don't bother asking), but there are several snippets of new lore. Some new class names, new info on ships, etc. It's also a fantastic quick reference, has great images, and it is a fun read. [face_peace]

--Adm. Nick

4. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    When you say "new class names", do you mean "new to canon" or "actually new"?

5. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Actually new. Plus some old ones reintroduced.

--Adm. Nick

LelalMekha likes this.
  6. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Ah. It does somewhat pique my interest.
    But it's all pictures taken from the films and the TV series, I presume? No chance we'll see something from a comic, or even a first depiction of a ship from a novel?

7. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    So this is like the Character Encyclopedia but with ships?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Correct.

--Adm. Nick

Darth_Duck likes this.
  9. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    So, @AdmiralNick22, I get that you refuse to spoil us, and that's fine. But can you confirm my suspicion that's it's movies-and-TV only?

10. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I am fearing this will be heavy on pics with snippets of info...but I would like a make and model on the hammerhead corvettes.

I would be more excited if they said there would be cross sections for ships that have been skipped. The Naboo Skiff from ROTS, the Kasmiri from the Kanan comic, etc..

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It's movie and TV only. It is heavy on pics with snippets of info, but many of those snippets are very, very good. This isn't intended to be a comprehensive Essential Guide to Vehicles & Vessels, but it is a great reference encyclopedia. I highly recommend it.

--Adm. Nick

12. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Oh, I already pre-ordered it anyway. ;-) I just wish they'd take the rest of the franchise (comic books, games, novels) more into consideration when making new guides, that's all.

lordpixie likes this.
  13. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Is the EasyRide taxi in it? :)

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'll answer this one. Yes, the EasyRide has an entry. Why the interest? :p

--Adm. Nick

15. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Love the design. Also wondering if it sees any kind of military use as a planetary transport or if it's strictly civilian. ;)

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'll check it out on your recommendation, Nick - but I am disappointed that they aren't including the comics and novels.

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It's the little things that I like. A class name for an iconic ship, a classic ship given an old EU class name, little nods, etc. I probably found over a dozen or more cool little things on my first read through! Again, it's not intended to be a super comprehensive guide, but more of a quick visual reference with cool little factoids. I've spotted a few minor errors, but nothing they can't fix on a second printing.

--Adm. Nick

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  18. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Really these "one ship per page" books aren't the place to look for comprehensive information across all media, and honestly I don't think we're going to get much that's actually comprehensive for a while yet. Like, the Story Group could define the classes of all new ships found in the Marvel ongoing comic, but I reckon we won't start seeing that sort of detail until the series finishes, at the very least. The new canon doesn't have the benefit of being able to look back at completed stories and fill in gaps just yet.

19. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I wonder if any background ships from ROTJ are getting something :). That'd like be really awesome you know.

20. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The ol' Dornean gunships have been getting a lot of canon love lately.

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  21. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Indeed. :). Fingers crossed they finally fix the size issue of CR70/CR90s. The CR90s were 150 meters in Legends, dropped to 126.5 meters in Canon then returned to CR90 corvettes in the most recent sourcebook. To me, CR70s are the 126 meter ships, CR90s are 150 meters.

Hammerhead corvettes and the Phoenix Nest hopefully get canon sizes as well.

Would love to see the three or four background ships seen in that one shot of ROTJ get a chance for a name or class.

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'll say this- the CR90 and Hammerhead corvette have entries. Ditto the Dornean gunship.

--Adm. Nick

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    What about Slave I?

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yes, Slave 1 is featured too. :)

There are a few ships missing I'd love to have seen, but I get the dilemma that DK is in. There is only so much space in a book, plus they have to balance the entries between air, ground, aquatic, and space vehicles.

--Adm. Nick

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thanks!