main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT "The Jedi Master who instructed me" A New Perspective

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by StartCenterEnd, Jan 25, 2018.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    You don't have to state friendship to be friends.

Screen time isn't required to establish friendship. And if you want to use that argument, Anakin had plenty of that as well with Yoda.

Two things.

1. The novel is wrong. Obi-wan knows before he looks at the recordings which is why he says that he must know. And the film trumps the novelization about Anakin know that Obi-wan is still alive. You have conflicting pieces of dialogue here.

ANAKIN: "I will not betray the Republic . . . my loyalties lie with the Chancellor and with the Senate . . . and with you."

PADME: "What about Obi-Wan?"

ANAKIN: "Many Jedi have been killed."

PADME: "But...Are you sure? It seems so...unbelievable. "

ANAKIN: "It's all true Padme. I was there."

PADME: "But...but how can that be true? How could Obi-Wan be involved in something like that?"

Which is the opposite of what is in the film.

ANAKIN: "I will not betray the Republic . . . my loyalties lie with the Chancellor and with the Senate . . . and with you."

PADME: "What about Obi-Wan?"

ANAKIN: "I don't know . . . Many Jedi have been killed. We can only hope that he's remained loyal to the Chancellor."

So which is right? The film written and directed by Lucas, or the novelization written by Stover. Remember, Lucasfilm policy is that the films come first and if the books contradict, it is the fault of the books and not the films.

2. The ROTS novelization has 451 pages of story and one more page that is not numbered, that contains the passage about love conquering the dark. After that is the chapter sample from "Dark Lord: The Rise Of Darth Vader".

2. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm not sure what this means. Anakin and Yoda are never shown to be friends. So we have no reason to assume they are.
    He wants to know what he already knows? Did you mis-type that and never say it? Is he a very good Jedi but also an average Jedi?

Quite clearly confirming Anakin is unaware that Obi-Wan is alive. This is supported in the novelization, pg 965.

Martoto77 likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The point in friendship is that it does not have to be defined in certain terms. You cannot just define friendship as one scene or no scenes together.

He knows that only someone with a Lightsaber could have killed some of the Jedi in the Temple. He can feel that Anakin is alive. He was left behind on Coruscant and had been filled with conflicting emotions when they last saw each other. He has deduced that Anakin was the one to betray the Jedi, but he wanted to see it for himself. And since you want to bring up the novelization, Yoda tells Obi-wan that he already knows who did it. Twice. Second time, Obi-wan says that seeing is different from knowing.

Two things.

1. There is no page 965. If you're referring to page 365, that's when Anakin is about to turn. The page you're referring to is page 421.

2. "We can only hope that he's remained loyal to the Chancellor" does not mean, "he's dead". Why would he hope that he's remained loyal to the Chancellor, if he thinks Obi-wan is dead? That doesn't make sense. Not to mention that in the final film, Anakin never shows surprise that he's alive. Let me put it in another way; the novelization for ANH states that Luke is Blue 5 and the film states that he is Red 5. Well, which is it? He cannot be both at the same time. There is no Blue Squadron at Yavin 4 and that's because they were killed at Scarif. So which one is the correct answer?

4. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    The point of cinematography is the medium is used to tell a story. In the case of SW the story of a friendship between Anakin and Yoda is never told.

He never says this, or even hints at it.

last warning. /heels

pg 965 of the amalgamated PT novelizations.
    He also said many Jedi have died.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
    Martoto77 likes this.
  5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That doesn't mean that one doesn't exist.

He does. That's why he wants to check the security recordings. He knows that it is Anakin, but he wants to see it for himself. He knows that Darth Sidious won't go into the Temple. That means that another Sith Lord could have done it and there's only one Jedi who could do this.

I did not know there was one for the adult novelizations.

Yes, other Jedi. He already knows that Obi-wan is alive.

6. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    What is this regarding?

In the cinematic world, that is precisely what it means lol

That's funny, because he never says "I know it's Anakin but I want to see it." It's almost like you...made it up.

This is made up. He never says it.

Also made up. He never says this. There are dozens of Jedi who could have done this.

that's it. you were warned. so many times. /heels

But he doesn't say that. He only says many Jedi have died. Obi-Wan is a Jedi and could be among the many, since Anakin did not specify otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2018
  7. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I...dont think Obi-Wan knew exactly who did it. That’s why he looks horrified when he turns the security recording on and sees his own pupil and best friend killing the Jedi. He knew someone skilled with a lightsaber did it, he knew it could’ve either been a Dark Jedi or a new Sith apprentice, but it wasn’t Anakin of all people. Surely Anakin wouldn’t do this.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Iron_lord likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    There aren't many Jedi who would turn to the dark side and betray the Jedi Order like that. He knew that as soon as he saw the Lightsaber wounds. He knew it wasn't Ventress because she was dead. He didn't feel that it was Pong Krell or Barriss Offee. Grievous was dead. He didn't believe it was Maul. Deep down he knew it was Anakin, because of all the tensions that were going on and all the emotions buried under the surface. He knows that Palpatine is alive and many Jedi are dead. And since people want to rely on it, in the novelization Yoda says to Obi-wan that they both knew who did it.

OBI-WAN: "I will learn who did this."

YODA: "Learn? Know already, you do."